LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 292 users in the forums

Nice win, some positives but......

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Nice win! We certainly did not dominate as the score would indicate and got some breaks but a solid W vs a 6-4 Jaguars team (Del-Rio deserves Head coach of the year consideration for getting 6 wins out of what he has).

Well, we opened up being aggressive on offense and spreading our opponents out and we stayed with it. I like the fact Singletary is willing to listen to players and make changes but man it took him and Raye way to long to figure out that this spread formation and Alex Smith out of the shotgun is our best bet at moving the ball. Now, the Jaguars have no pass rush and it showed today and for the first time all year our QB had good protection consistantly throughout the game. I thought Raye called a nice game and had some nice designed plays. Even though we had a lot of shotgun and 3-4 WR sets, it kind of reminded me a little bit of the WCO, esspecially with the bootlegs in the endzone and a few 3 step drops. Remember, Raye did coach under Paul Hackett for 7 years (5 in KC and 2 with the Jets) and Hackett ran the WCO and learned it from Bill Walsh coaching under him in San Francisco (82-85). I think Raye has shown he can open it up and be a decent play caller and design some nice plays (loved the fake to Coffee with Smith rolling out and finding a wide open Vernon Davis). I also liked the fact Manusky was more aggressive with the defense today. Patrick Willis blitzing up the middle is almost unstoppable. Still, The Jags did move the ball on us, we really have a big hole at safety, our safeties do not play the ball well at all and our cornerbacks have been shaky since Nate Clements went down. It was nice to have Takeo Spikes back today. He is solid as a rock and is great at snuffing out those screens.

Quick thoughts:

Alex Smith: Played pretty darn well and consistant for four quarters. See what happens when he gets good protection and a chance to make some plays.

Delaine Walker: Been saying this for two years, get Delaine Walker involved more! Everytime he touches the football he seems to get a first down. Just a very good football player.

Vernon Davis: Best all-around tight end in the NFL.

Michael Crabtree: Made two real nice catches but also dropped two balls. Kid is the real deal, you see the Jaguars double and triple teamming him? On his big reception there was 3 guys around him and he managed to break free and make a catch inside the 20. He is the real deal.

Josh Morgan: Very solid game from him.

O-Line: Still can't run block for crap but did a real nice job pass blocking, granted they were facing a unit that had the least amount of sacks in the NFL and whose DE's have no business starting in the NFL.

Frank Gore: Even though he did not have success running the ball still was a factor in the receiving game and continues to be a great blocker and security blanket in pass proection.

Defense: Like I said they played well but they got some breaks and did cause some turnovers but lets not hide the fact David Gerrard threw for nearly 300yds against us and thats with the Jaguars having sub-par WR's. We did do a nice job containing Jones-Drew but we have a big hole in our secondary. Our safeties really struggle playing the ball and we are getting beat over the middle of the field and Shawntae Spencer has been slumping the last few games. It seemed like Tarrell Brown played the whole game even though he was supposed to benched for Dre Bly? Brown really is weak and a liability vs the run. We miss Nate Clements a lot! Justin Smith had a nice game and finally got some hard deserved sacks. Manny Lawson made a heck of a play on his sack and to strip the ball. Parys Haralson...Wow, thank you for joining us, where have you been since week 1!?!? Takeo Spikes is more valuable than I thought he was and I appreciate him that much after the Green Bay game and this game. Patrick Willis is GREAT. Dashon Goldson is inconsistent. Balmer is starting to look like a player. Even D Briggs got on the field. I think Manusky is doing a good job with what he has but we have some big holes on our defense.

Solid win and I was happy to see Carolina lose and excited to see Arizona lose and I know Arizona plays Minnesota next Sunday night and then we got them at home for a Monday Nighter (I will be at that game) but lets no kid ourselves, we have a lot of holes and we matched up really well vs the Jaguars. Forget beating Arizona, Im not that confident going into Seattle. It will be much harder to run a shotgun spread type offense in that loud stadium and even though the Seahawks do not have a great pass rush, they do have a much better pass rush than Jacksonville and we just can't run the ball to save our lives and our defense is having big problems stopping the pass and I fear Hasselbeck-Housh-Carlson more than I do Gerrard-Sims-Walker-Holt.

So that being said, it was a nice win and it's good to see Sing and Raye smarten up and it's a step in the right direction but we are not doing any damage this year, I still we finish 8-8.
I still say when Staley comes back, stick him at RT and leave Sims at LT for the rest of the season.

Oh and get Brandon Jones of punt returns for good!
Most complete win of the season. We just need to keep improving.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
I still say when Staley comes back, stick him at RT and leave Sims at LT for the rest of the season.

Does anyone have any idea when Staley is supposed to be back?
Originally posted by BHulman:

Haven't heard a peep but he got hurt 4 weeks ago and they said he would be back in 2 weeks so im hoping for the Arizona game? I did hear Clements shoulder injury was more severe than thought and he would be out longer than Staley.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BHulman:

Haven't heard a peep but he got hurt 4 weeks ago and they said he would be back in 2 weeks so im hoping for the Arizona game? I did hear Clements shoulder injury was more severe than thought and he would be out longer than Staley.

Clements was 6-8 weeks and Staley 6 weeks. Crossing my fingers that Staley is back for the Arizona game
I hope Delaine Walker continues to be involved in our offense as much as he was today. The guy is just a solid player and always seems to make a nice catch or big play when given the chance. He has great hands and runs like a WR at 245pds. IMO, he is the 3rd best receiver on our team behind Crabtree and Vernon and that is saying something because I think Morgan and J Hill are good, young players.

Really excited to see these guys get involved today and given the chance to make plays. Good job by Raye today and I thought Alex Smith played a solid, complete game.
i'm more worried about them finishing or playing a complete game more than anything else. holes or not(which we do have) the team has been making it work mostly all season. if your an optimist fan like me, you've seen play like this week in & week out they just haven't finish or played a complete game but i've got faith. GO NINERS!!!!!
I remember posting about getting Delanie Walker the ball more because of his yards per catch average and everyone was giving me crap about it. Now they finally start utilizing him and everyone thinks he is great. Yeah, I already knew he was a weapon.
Originally posted by insanemike27:
I remember posting about getting Delanie Walker the ball more because of his yards per catch average and everyone was giving me crap about it. Now they finally start utilizing him and everyone thinks he is great. Yeah, I already knew he was a weapon.

• Dino
  • Veteran
^^^ lol
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by insanemike27:

Yeah, those threads have been around for years though
Even though I thought he played a very solid football game for 4 quarters, Alex Smith still has that dam "hitch" when he throws the ball. Mike Martz on the NFL network said a few weeks ago Smith has to get rid of that hitch if he is to become a good, consistant starting quarterback in the NFL.
Originally posted by kstolai:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Share 49ersWebzone