There are 283 users in the forums

Where's the running game?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Mex49
Actually our run game just took a huge step forward. Finally opposing defenses will start taking our passing game seriously and should keep the extra bodies off the line of scrimage
Well, we have a s**tty OL, haven't you been watching Niner games this year?
Originally posted by prime21:
Originally posted by Yetiman:
This offense is the definition of a work in progress. I think that once the passing game is sorted out, the running game will start to work.

I'd like to see a backfield with both Gore and Coffee in it rather than Gore and Norris, too. That would present some challenges to an opposing DC.

That is actually a pretty darned good idea!

I would like to See Gore and ANYONE W.A.S. back there. I can't blame this on Norris in good conscience. He was the guy that couldn't get an INCH because our malingering OL went high instead of low. Nobody, and I do mean NOBODY, wins when they get off the blocks high. They get stood up and the battle is over before it even starts.

Unfortunately the Opposing team KNOWS it's Run because Norris is the lead blocker. Put ANYONE back there that can block. Then change the exchange up. Keep giving it to the other guy and let Frank do some blocking. He knows how to and is pretty good at it. That way Frank can get some work in on that side of things. Eventually teams won't be up in his grill when he does get the ball.

But that's the only way to do it with a Line that cannot and will not bust chumps in the mouth.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
A whopping 52 yards all game. This has been worrisome. It had slowly disappeared the last few games. I understand they are going spread more and the shotgun is not Gore's forte, but they need to get that going especially when teams start gaming for our emerging passing game.

Maybe it's unstoppable

the running game will be inconsistent until the OL is fixed.

yup
Originally posted by Goldtimer:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
no s**t?

Nice insight there buddy

seriously I'm supposed to respond with someone insightful?

here it goes

We are not good at running the ball, haven't been all year, hasn't changed

yaaaaaayyyyy
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
PRAY GOD SINGLETARY NEVER SEES THIS THREAD!!!

Yeah, he might go 'Hey Raye, where's the running game, we need to run more, make it happen' We go to RRP offense
i really hope we don't turn into a college team throwing it like 50-60 times..however if we win there isn't much to b**** about
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
i really hope we don't turn into a college team throwing it like 50-60 times..however if we win there isn't much to b**** about

I DO!
I posted this in another thread, but it's basically a crock of s**t that Gore isn't as good out of shotgun. The percentage of stuffed attempts for him this year has been much lower out of shotgun and direct snaps as compared to the I formation.

Also, Gore said as much himself, that it's a non-issue for him to run out of shotgun.

Bottom line, it's all on our OL. I don't know if I've ever seen worse run-blocking.
[ Edited by znk916 on Nov 30, 2009 at 12:09 AM ]
Originally posted by znk916:
I posted this in another thread, but it's basically a crock of s**t that Gore isn't as good out of shotgun. The percentage of stuffed attempts for him this year has been much lower out of shotgun and direct snaps as compared to the I formation.

Also, Gore said as much himself, that it's a non-issue for him to run out of shotgun.

Bottom line, it's all on our OL. I don't know if I've ever seen worse run-blocking.

2004 and 2005 were pretty bad years

Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

2004 and 2005 were pretty bad years

I'm talking strictly run-blocking. We had Barlow back then.
Gore's not the best RB from the spread formation...but, it's relatively new to him. He'll adjust. But it does call into play the need for a shifty RB and also a power RB. We've lacked that big back for a long time and this off-season's a great time to fix it. Unga, Clay, Gerhart and Dixon are all excellent big RB candidates. We may've let the shift RB go in Sheets, but there are always guys available like that every off-season.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

Bottom line, it's all on our OL.

Not true. The line absolutely makes a difference, but it's not all on them.

1. Gore has been missing holes that have been there. I've pointed this out before, but each game there are at least one or two holes that he misses.

2. Gore has always been a boom or bust kind of guy. He'll have a bunch of short yardage runs then rip you for a 40 or 50 (or 80) yd run. His YPC this year is second only to his 2006 year.

3. Unfortunately running backs (especially power backs like Gore) tend to only last 4-6 years in the league before they start having problems. This is Gore's fifth season (no, I'm not saying he's over the hill)

4. Of the top 5 running backs in the league, only 2 of them are on winning teams. One is AP with the Vikings, the other is MJD with the Jaguars (and their wins have come against some pretty poor teams).

5. Chris Johnson is number 2 on the list of RBs, but the Titans didn't start winning until they put VY back in there and started throwing it more.

Conclusion: This league is a passing league. It wasn't always that way, but that's the way it is now. You have to be able to put points up on the board in a hurry or you won't win. (The teams with the best records are all heavy passing teams).

Now a better O-line will definitely help as will a good change of pace back (not Glen Coffee), but you can't lay the lack of rushing yards on the line (at least not all of it).
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
PRAY GOD SINGLETARY NEVER SEES THIS THREAD!!!

-9fA
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Gore's not the best RB from the spread formation...but, it's relatively new to him. He'll adjust. But it does call into play the need for a shifty RB and also a power RB. We've lacked that big back for a long time and this off-season's a great time to fix it. Unga, Clay, Gerhart and Dixon are all excellent big RB candidates. We may've let the shift RB go in Sheets, but there are always guys available like that every off-season.

Gore's the very definition of a power back.

There's a kid named Noel Devine who would be available in round 4 or 5. Runs a 4.31 and reminds me of Sproles. He'd be a great addition to the team and would be a nice change of pace back.

Coffee's not that guy--he has the same style as Gore. Not sure if M-Rob is that guy either.
Share 49ersWebzone