There are 180 users in the forums

Was that The Catch 2.5?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Hey whattaya know, just the reaction I knew was coming. Not only did it remind me of "The Catch", they showed it after the play. Anyways, this was all in fun. Just to show the highlight.

The Catch 2.5 :)
Someone shoot me now.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Someone shoot me now.

OK
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Aside from the situation of the play, it was a better catch than Clarks, and a better throw. Too bad it wasn't in a more important situation, but it was a great play all around. That was Smith threading the needle and an amazing job of Gore keeping his feet in bounds. Once again...not worthy of "the catch" title, but one helluva play.

Whoa, it was a nice play very reminiscent of the 'The Catch' but I don't think it was a better catch and throw by Joe and Clark. Joe had two defender bearing down in front of him that he had to throw over, then Clark pluck it out of the air when it look like it would just sailed out of the end zone.

But I leave you to enjoy which ever one better

It was a high throw by Joe that Clark went up and caught, not trying to say it wasn't more important, but it was a more accurate throw and the sideline catch like Gore made has to be a higher degree of difficulty. The one thing that makes "the catch" better is that it got us to a Superbowl.

Boy, I just re-watch the replay of Smith and Gore on that play. Smith made a very good throw over 3 Jags guys going up for the ball. In regard to Joe's throw his defenders were closer and he had to float it up there just to get it over them so you can't fault Joe for not being more accurate. Plus Joe had to throw it back toward the middle and not straight to Gore like Smith did. They are both enjoyable for different reason. Good stuff.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 29, 2009 at 8:02 PM ]
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Isn't it a little sad that you're comparing Clark's catch to a regular season catch against a mediocre team that put us at 5-6? Just a little?

True
Originally posted by RonMexico:
STOP POSTING

LOL
It was a mini me catch.

In all seriousness when Smith had 3 defenders in his face and he backed up then threw the ball it did look similar. Haha.

It was cool.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
It was a mini me catch.

In all seriousness when Smith had 3 defenders in his face and he backed up then threw the ball it did look similar. Haha.

It was cool.

The long pass to Vernon on 4th and 1 was one of the best passes i've seen Alex make.
N
O
Originally posted by Goldtimer:
Since it wasn't a game winning TD catch, I dub that TD pass to Gore "The Catch 2.5".

5th video down

I take it you didn't see the original.

I don't see why we need to dub the Gore catch anything. It was a great catch but was not by any means a defining moment.

The original catch was a defining moment in 49ers history as that sent us to our fiorst Superbowl and was the start of over a decade of greatness.

The catch 2, I hate it being labeled that, but was only a defining moment to 49ers fans because it was the first time we had beaten Favre and the Packers in the playoffs

Labeling this the Catch 2.5 is like a sequel to a rgeat movie that did not live up to expectations.
Originally posted by 49erWill:
no
THE Catch was the start of the Dynasty.

Catch 2 was the last true great moment of the Dynasty, a last hoorah.

To be labeled Catch 2.5 would be akin to calling it a prequel to the next chapter of great football, we are only 5-6.

Plus the catch wasn't even special the play by Alex was the best part, all Gore did was keep his feet in bounds.
  • ZRF80
Oh geez

I think a lot of you were too young to appreciate what the Catch or Catch II were all about. One day, when we become playoff contenders again........you wont even remember plays like the one you saw today.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
It was a mini me catch.

It was cool.

The long pass to Vernon on 4th and 1 was one of the best passes i've seen Alex make.

I was more impressed with that laser he threw to Davis that Considine broke up. That ball was a laser and hit Vernon right in the hands (Considine made a great play on the ball)
Share 49ersWebzone