There are 239 users in the forums

6 Sacks - Good job Defense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Weren't all six sacks in the 2nd half? it didn't occur to me initially but I think I read it in an article. Something to keep in perspective as the Jags were down by 17 and went pass happy in the second to try and catch up.
DB's deserves some of that.
Goldson, who I am high on, whiffed on too many tackles. That needs to be fixed.
Originally posted by RayWersching:
Weren't all six sacks in the 2nd half? it didn't occur to me initially but I think I read it in an article. Something to keep in perspective as the Jags were down by 17 and went pass happy in the second to try and catch up.

That's true but any life out of this pass rush is a major plus. hopefully that sparks some light under some asses and we can actually see this consistently instead of only 4 times a season.
Originally posted by TrailerParkMan:

he's been doing that all season. I have an off season fix for that.

Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

Yes please ohh mighty GOD make it happen.

Jake Dehomme might be out for da year with a broken finger on throwing hand it can happen.
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:

Jake Dehomme might be out for da year with a broken finger on throwing hand it can happen.

No, you want Jake "Pick Six" Delhomme still out there. That will help our draft status more than any backup they have.
Does anyone else have some major concerns about our defense going into Seattle?

Garrard threw for over 300 yards that was esp. successful in a hurry-up. Manusky went to a prevent at the end of the first and gave momentum to the Jags (his propensity) and it carried over in the 2nd half. They had two missed field goals and if not for a couple of clutch sacks, we lose this game. Period. Roman & Brown are still on the field WAY too much. Spencer has fallen off a bit and we have Bly starting now. Our two safeties are TERRIBLE in coverage as are Willis/Spikes in the middle of the field. TE's own us as do below average WR's in that zone. Brooks should add a little extra pass rush but it's still not there from the OLB's. In fact, only Willis right now is a consistent pass rusher and he's rarely used. We rely mostly on the d-line & safeties/CB blitzes to generate any pressure. We're good against the run except against speedy backs who OWN the edge (I'm talking to you Manny/Haralson)! Screen passes still own us and when we tackle, I still don't see team defensive tackling...maybe, one or two guys typically around the ball carrier. We give up a lot of RAC as well.

Should we just ignore these?

These are my concerns but it's encouraging that the offense is starting to carry the D.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

Garrard threw for over 300 yards that was esp. successful in a hurry-up. Manusky went to a prevent at the end of the first and gave momentum to the Jags (his propensity) and it carried over in the 2nd half. They had two missed field goals and if not for a couple of clutch sacks, we lose this game. Period. Roman & Brown are still on the field WAY too much. Spencer has fallen off a bit and we have Bly starting now. Our two safeties are TERRIBLE in coverage as are Willis/Spikes in the middle of the field. TE's own us as do below average WR's in that zone. Brooks should add a little extra pass rush but it's still not there from the OLB's. In fact, only Willis right now is a consistent pass rusher and he's rarely used. We rely mostly on the d-line & safeties/CB blitzes to generate any pressure. We're good against the run except against speedy backs who OWN the edge (I'm talking to you Manny/Haralson)! Screen passes still own us and when we tackle, I still don't see team defensive tackling...maybe, one or two guys typically around the ball carrier. We give up a lot of RAC as well.

These are my concerns but it's encouraging that the offense is starting to carry the D.

I do. Bottom line, the secondary is s**t right now. I'm not happy about them at all. Last time we played Seattle (and Zona) we had great secondary play. That fed the front 7, and the front 7 was able to feed the secondary. They were able to play off each other. This time, we are going to need to bring much more pass rushing pressure from the front 7, because the secondary is just not up to the task, period, IMHO. I'm not confident we are going to be able to do that, without making us overly vulnerable somewhere else.

Seattle is not a good team at all, but I have no doubt they have the ability to chuck the rock on us big time. Hass, is due for a good game, and he's still got it in him. I believe we have the ability to shut their run game down. I also think Seattle doesn't have the ability to grind out an offensive game plan of steady small chunks and a gazillion first downs to win. I think they are going to need to a big play or two on offense in addition to a steady grind, to come out with the win. If it was me running the show, in order of priority....

1)I would game plan to shut that run down first and foremost. We can do that, I don't doubt it. So we go do it 1st, because it is our strongest asset and the Hawks have been running successfully as of late as well.

2) No deep s**t. No middle deep s**t. No Carlson in the seam up the middle deep. Nobody gets behind the d, keep it all in front at all costs. We can do this too, IMHO.

3) Attempt to limit damage from the screen, underneath s**t (emphasize screen awareness, assignment discipline, getting to the ball in number's quickly, and solid tackling), we need to play aggressive in this area..and that should be enough to stop them from turning a small gain into a big one. This is where the rubber is going to hit the road, if we can do the above other two and we stop the small s**t from turning big, we are probably going to give up points, but I don't think it will be enough points for them to win, IF we accomplish number 4, below:

4) Put it on the offenses back....don't abandon feeding the ball to Gore up the gut, give him a steady diet...and that should be enough to open the pass quite well against a poor Seattle pass defense. Seattle will be game planning to stop Gore up the gut first and foremost no matter what it is we are actually doing. They are going to honor plugging up the interior first and foremost. They are going to be putting lots off energy into not letting Gore burn them up the gut. If they don't, they will get burned, if they do..they will be stacking box, with some safety help, just like the last time we played, and that should be enough for us to put enough points on the board through the air to win.

My hunch is, the zone will be going nuts about Raye running the ball up the gut come gameday, but I think it is the best way to attack Seattle....and it should be enough to set up everything else for the win.

[ Edited by Blitz on Dec 5, 2009 at 09:42:49 ]
Originally posted by Blitz:

I do. Bottom line, the secondary is s**t right now. I'm not happy about them at all. Last time we played Seattle (and Zona) we had great secondary play. That fed the front 7, and the front 7 was able to feed the secondary. They were able to play off each other. This time, we are going to need to bring much more pass rushing pressure from the front 7, because the secondary is just not up to the task, period, IMHO. I'm not confident we are going to be able to do that, without making us overly vulnerable somewhere else.

Seattle is not a good team at all, but I have no doubt they have the ability to chuck the rock on us big time. Hass, is due for a good game, and he's still got it in him. I believe we have the ability to shut their run game down. I also think Seattle doesn't have the ability to grind out an offensive game plan of steady small chunks and a gazillion first downs to win. I think they are going to need to a big play or two on offense in addition to a steady grind, to come out with the win. If it was me running the show, in order of priority....

1)I would game plan to shut that run down first and foremost. We can do that, I don't doubt it. So we go do it 1st, because it is our strongest asset and the Hawks have been running successfully as of late as well.

2) No deep s**t. No middle deep s**t. No Carlson in the seam up the middle deep. Nobody gets behind the d, keep it all in front at all costs. We can do this too, IMHO.

3) Attempt to limit damage from the screen, underneath s**t (emphasize screen awareness, assignment discipline, getting to the ball in number's quickly, and solid tackling), we need to play aggressive in this area..and that should be enough to stop them from turning a small gain into a big one. This is where the rubber is going to hit the road, if we can do the above other two and we stop the small s**t from turning big, we are probably going to give up points, but I don't think it will be enough points for them to win, IF we accomplish number 4, below:

4) Put it on the offenses back....don't abandon feeding the ball to Gore up the gut, give him a steady diet...and that should be enough to open the pass quite well against a poor Seattle pass defense. Seattle will be game planning to stop Gore up the gut first and foremost no matter what it is we are actually doing. They are going to honor plugging up the interior first and foremost. They are going to be putting lots off energy into not letting Gore burn them up the gut. If they don't, they will get burned, if they do..they will be stacking box, with some safety help, just like the last time we played, and that should be enough for us to put enough points on the board through the air to win.

My hunch is, the zone will be going nuts about Raye running the ball up the gut come gameday, but I think it is the best way to attack Seattle....and it should be enough to set up everything else for the win.

Great freakin post. I agree. I like your game plan too. Gore has had his best games against Seattle. The Hawks have nothing to lose and are at home. They are going to sling the rock and why not; every team has had tons of success passing on us. They also have the ability to go no-huddle. I'm sure they watched the game tape of the Jax game. This will be a monster game. But this is the same stadium where Smith "became a man" a few years back.

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:

No, you want Jake "Pick Six" Delhomme still out there. That will help our draft status more than any backup they have.

no way jake may throw a couple of ints but he moves the ball really well i doubt this guy will move the ball at all
  • Blitz
  • Veteran

Great freakin post. I agree. I like your game plan too. Gore has had his best games against Seattle. The Hawks have nothing to lose and are at home. They are going to sling the rock and why not; every team has had tons of success passing on us. They also have the ability to go no-huddle. I'm sure they watched the game tape of the Jax game. This will be a monster game. But this is the same stadium where Smith "became a man" a few years back.

This team is either going to grow up today, or fall on it's ass again. We will learn a lot about who they are from today's game. We haven't had a game like this in a long time...it's their 1st opportunity to take the next step...to "become men" as a team.

[ Edited by Blitz on Dec 6, 2009 at 09:39:10 ]
Gonna add 4 more today on Hasselbeck!

Go Niners!
This team is either going to grow up today, or fall on it's ass again. We will learn a lot about who they are from today's game. We haven't had a game like this in a long time...it's their 1st opportunity to take the next step...to "become men" as a team.

"It's our offenses fault - it's our offenses fault our defense sucks!" First off, let me say, "F****************ck!" Second, "Our defense sucks!" Get that through your head ppl. Top 5 defense? LOL. They can't cover, are incredibly slow (Hassleback run), can't cover a screen

Now, for the game. Apparently, Manny only plays well when his job is on the line but he played very well today. So did Haralson & Brooks and adding Brooks allows Manny to rest. Willis played great. Alex, played fantastic today despite the HUGE 10 dropped passes. He blew it on the last drive and we didn't milk the clock after the first incomplete but he CLEARLY played well enough to win and win big today.

Obviously, the entire team chocked as did the coaches; totally unprepared, crucial penalties, 10 dropped passes, poor game management, time-outs in the first half, Manusky blew it, etc. Total team collapse and a sign this team is still very young and cracked under pressure against a poor Seattle team in a game they had to have.

Brown gave up another TD, Roman still blows, Bly is average at best...who puts in Curtis in a crucial situation? Our safeties were LUCKY the game wasn't over much earlier.

But if I hear one more time that this defense played poorly b/c of the offense, I'm going to...LOL

Aside from Willis, do we have ANY speed on defense? Lawson has zero closing speed in the pass rush, Spikes is old, Haralson & Manny are almost always rushing but where is the team speed to cover simple screen passes and team tackle?
  • Blitz
  • Veteran

"It's our offenses fault - it's our offenses fault our defense sucks!" First off, let me say, "F****************ck!" Second, "Our defense sucks!" Get that through your head ppl. Top 5 defense? LOL. They can't cover, are incredibly slow (Hassleback run), can't cover a screen

Now, for the game. Apparently, Manny only plays well when his job is on the line but he played very well today. So did Haralson & Brooks and adding Brooks allows Manny to rest. Willis played great. Alex, played fantastic today despite the HUGE 10 dropped passes. He blew it on the last drive and we didn't milk the clock after the first incomplete but he CLEARLY played well enough to win and win big today.

Obviously, the entire team chocked as did the coaches; totally unprepared, crucial penalties, 10 dropped passes, poor game management, time-outs in the first half, Manusky blew it, etc. Total team collapse and a sign this team is still very young and cracked under pressure against a poor Seattle team in a game they had to have.

Brown gave up another TD, Roman still blows, Bly is average at best...who puts in Curtis in a crucial situation? Our safeties were LUCKY the game wasn't over much earlier.

But if I hear one more time that this defense played poorly b/c of the offense, I'm going to...LOL

Aside from Willis, do we have ANY speed on defense? Lawson has zero closing speed in the pass rush, Spikes is old, Haralson & Manny are almost always rushing but where is the team speed to cover simple screen passes and team tackle?

Acccck...most of the defense is alright (not stellar, but I will take it) except for the piece of s**t secondary, as we already knew. We really need some 1st round talent back there from this draft, IMHO. Looks like the OL can pass protect, but I wouldn't hang my hat on it...they have really only performed up to the task in the last two games and those were both teams that didn't feature a decent pass rush. The team has got to do something with the run blocking. That's the thing to take from this game...you hyave to be able to run the ball, you juts can't sit back and pass pass pass.
So, all you mo-fo's in the zone who have been screaming about not being to light up through the air, and lack of QB/receiver production...maybe you will learn something form this game....maybe you will learn that you still have to be able to run the ball no matter how well, how fancy, how pretty, how Montana-esque you can do the pass....you still gotta be able to open some f**king holes for someone to trot the rock through, or your f**ked when it comes to controlling that clock.
Share 49ersWebzone