LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 135 users in the forums

The issue of the routes being called...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i still don't understand why we throw a 5 yard pass when we need 10
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Firstly, I'd like to say that I'm thrilled to see the Niners notch a W.

My concern with the play calling comes with the routes that our receivers are running. With the exception of Vernon Davis and his persistent seam route up the middle, the receivers are constantly running hitches and short crossing patterns. How many times are they going to throw the ball to someone only a yard beyond the line of scrimmage with no room to run when we need to convert big yardage.

Would it kill to call slants and allow our receivers to catch the ball in stride with room to run?

Am I missing something?

This is true, But what do ypu think is getting Davis open for all these Tds? Exactly what you stated. He is our fastest offensive player. He is supposed to be the guy we send deep. I think it is what it should be for the most part. At Least we are going deep now.
He did good except on third down as usual. (at least there were no shotgun draws on 3rd down this week)

I said it in another thread, but he always seems to call deep slow developing routes on third and short, and short routes on 3rd and long.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
He did good except on third down as usual. (at least there were no shotgun draws on 3rd down this week)

I said it in another thread, but he always seems to call deep slow developing routes on third and short, and short routes on 3rd and long.

i see indy and the pats do that too, its not just jimmy raye.
I think we could do well to throw some slants.

But as for more intermediate routes, I worry that Alex won't have the protection he'd need. He looked good today, but the Jaguars have a pretty weak pass rush. Should be interesting to see how he does next week.
Originally posted by darkknight49:

True, but when we do it.. it just looks ugly, maybe their blocking schemes on their draws is better or something.
Originally posted by darkknight49:

True, but when we do it.. it just looks ugly, maybe their blocking schemes on their draws is better or something.

they have better linemen.

and we do it ALL the time.
Just because Alex throws the ball short doesn't mean there were no routes to go deep, sometimes the recievers down field are covered and you have to throw it short.
Share 49ersWebzone