LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 244 users in the forums

So who gets the credit for V.Davis' breakout year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

So who gets the credit for V.Davis' breakout year?

• GORO
  • Veteran
I donot like Jimmy Raye, but I believe that he has made the Qb look for VD first and then go to recievers second on their reads. Of course Sing gets credit for his maturity.
Originally posted by mayo63:
I think Smith has alot to do with it. He has looked to him alot since he took over at Qb.
deez....
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Jimmy Raye. We have actually targeted Vernon in the passing game this year, as opposed to previous years.

Vernon would have been producing like this before if we actually threw the ball to him instead of leaving him in to block.
Originally posted by crzy:
Jimmy Raye. We have actually targeted Vernon in the passing game this year, as opposed to previous years.

Vernon would have been producing like this before if we actually threw the ball to him instead of leaving him in to block.

With our ridiculous Oline, might it be better if he begins to stay in to block? I know Raye loves his TEs, but Davis constantly running routes while our QB runs for his life does not make a whole lot of sense. Martz knew our line was terrible, so he kept him in to block...
Originally posted by King49er:
Well..... Vernon Davis IMO

This
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Originally posted by crzy:

With our ridiculous Oline, might it be better if he begins to stay in to block? I know Raye loves his TEs, but Davis constantly running routes while our QB runs for his life does not make a whole lot of sense. Martz knew our line was terrible, so he kept him in to block...

No.

Vernon Davis is our best receiving threat. He should not be left in to block. That's a waste of his receiving talents.
[ Edited by crzy on Nov 28, 2009 at 11:31 AM ]
Am I the only one who has complaints about Vernon? The net benefit of a player is what he does well, minus what he does bad.

In Vernon's case, he is much improved in catching the ball, but he still draws too many damaging penalties - mistakes that put the offense in 3rd and long. I have also gleaned from comments made by various sportswriters that he runs a few too many broken routes.

Those who chastise Alex should focus in on Vernon's stupid play. It is time for him to start playing mistake free football.
I voted for Singletary.

Put it this way, if Nolan was still the coach, do you think his attitude would have been turned around?

Would Davis have turned his attitude around himself?

I don't think so.

-9fA
Originally posted by excelsior:
Am I the only one who has complaints about Vernon? The net benefit of a player is what he does well, minus what he does bad.

In Vernon's case, he is much improved in catching the ball, but he still draws too many damaging penalties - mistakes that put the offense in 3rd and long. I have also gleaned from comments made by various sportswriters that he runs a few too many broken routes.

Those who chastise Alex should focus in on Vernon's stupid play. It is time for him to start playing mistake free football.

Which sportswriters are you referring to? And how do these writers know about the broken routes? Are they part of the coaching staff so they know the plays? Give me a break. Nobody in the NFL plays mistake free. They are still human.

• krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by excelsior:

I agree he does get more of a pass from these parts compared to what you read about other players. His "shortcomings/mistakes/error in his ways will always be overlooked by most here. It didn't happen before this great year he's having. It damn sure is not going to happen this year.
JIMMY RAYE!!!!!!!!

[ Edited by ninertico on Nov 28, 2009 at 1:44 PM ]
"The Zone 10%"

Too funny.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by King49er:
Well..... Vernon Davis IMO

exactly
all of them except zone

smith for his nice fast passes (wasnt too good with hill)
sing for his maturity
raye for acually using VD effectivly
Share 49ersWebzone