There are 127 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

So who gets the credit for V.Davis' breakout year?

So who gets the credit for V.Davis' breakout year?

Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
I think it is Singletary, Raye and Davis.

Singletary - Ever since that faithful day when he kicked Davis off the field, Davis has been a model teammate. He has developed leadership and a team-first mentality. Singletary has challenged him as a person and teammate and Davis has met that challenge.

Raye - He has called the plays to get Davis the ball something that Martz last year almost never did.

Davis - It is up to Davis to decide to mature mentally and he has. And he has also changed physically. By getting leaner, he has improved his ability to adjust to balls thrown over his shoulder.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by King49er:
Well..... Vernon Davis IMO
Originally posted by Chief:
Originally posted by King49er:
Well..... Vernon Davis IMO

+2
Originally posted by kujon11:
Originally posted by kronik:
I was inclined to say Vernon. But come to think about it, in his previous years, he has always worked hard and has usually produced when given the opportunities. Problem was there wasn't alot of opportunities.

In his rookie year and 2nd year, he missed a few games due to injury. One of which, he chased down an Eagle on a fumble recovery 98 yards down the field (breaking his leg). That play there showed hustle because he was the only one to chase that Eagle. BTW, replay showed the Eagle player was down by contact when he recovered the fumble.

Last year, due to the offensive lines woes and Martz numerous 7 step dropbacks, VD was called upon to pass block more often than not. It's hard to fault Martz completely because the OL sucked that bad.

So bottomline, I gotta give Jimmy Raye the credit.

i could have swore he broke his leg going up for a pass. then troy polomalu went low before davis set his foot and broke his leg

That was the next year. I'm talking about when he was a rook, he ended up missing 4 games because of that Eagles game. The steelers game was his 2nd year in the league.
[ Edited by kronik on Nov 27, 2009 at 10:09 PM ]
Originally posted by kujon11:
Originally posted by kronik:
I was inclined to say Vernon. But come to think about it, in his previous years, he has always worked hard and has usually produced when given the opportunities. Problem was there wasn't alot of opportunities.

In his rookie year and 2nd year, he missed a few games due to injury. One of which, he chased down an Eagle on a fumble recovery 98 yards down the field (breaking his leg). That play there showed hustle because he was the only one to chase that Eagle. BTW, replay showed the Eagle player was down by contact when he recovered the fumble.

Last year, due to the offensive lines woes and Martz numerous 7 step dropbacks, VD was called upon to pass block more often than not. It's hard to fault Martz completely because the OL sucked that bad.

So bottomline, I gotta give Jimmy Raye the credit.

i could have swore he broke his leg going up for a pass. then troy polomalu went low before davis set his foot and broke his leg

And I still think that play was a catch.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Well, It has to be Vernon here. He's the one that matured and learned how to catch the one route he wasn't able to catch from previously.

You can add Singletary for helping him mature I Suppose. The the biggest credit should go to Vernon.

OC's ran him on seam routes throughout his whole career and YOU ALL said he was being used improperly. The simple fact that he's actually catching the ball now on that one route should give the credit to him. If he was doing something/anything outside of that route then maybe you could toss Raye a bone. As it stands Vern gets the credit.
[ Edited by krizay on Nov 27, 2009 at 10:12 PM ]
Vernon himself. He's better than Michael Huff.
its funny that the posters who voted for Alex...well, haven't posted...

my vote goes to Raye.

Sing for making him a better player...

Raye for using him more....but we do not use him enough....we only use him when we are desperate after our conservative BS costs us the lead.
The zone, he posts here regulary, and i think we all finally got to his head.
Singletary got him to get his head right.

Raye installed an offense that would give him his chances.

Smith likes to get him the ball and the two have a great relationship that keeps getting better.

And perhaps most importantly, Davis put in a ton of work on catching the ball. He was never a real good catcher, but he worked at it and he's gotten much better.

These things all came together, and if it continues we should have our first 1000 yard reciever since TO left.
Vernon Davis
My VD broke out due to the fact that I didn't wear a condom. So I would give the credit to myself.
I would give equal credit to A, B AND C. They are all partly and fully responsible for VD break out year. They all have contributed in different ways and have all resulted in what were seeing in him game in and game out. Only problem though, I think they forgot that he can block also.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think Smith has alot to do with it. He has looked to him alot since he took over at Qb.
I would have to say none of the above. I think it was Vernon himself who finally matured and realized his potential. It was about time too. Coach Sing had a little to do with jarring him a bit but I would have to say mostly Vernon.