LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 280 users in the forums

So who gets the credit for V.Davis' breakout year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

So who gets the credit for V.Davis' breakout year?

My pick is Singletary. He changed Davis' ways of thinking starting with that 'go to the shower' Seattle game. Got him focused but didn't result in alienating Davis at the same time.

Since Vernon hadn't been properly utilized until Raye came, I'll give Raye the vote for that. But Sing gets credit for some other parts of molding Vernon.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 27, 2009 at 7:50 PM ]
Well..... Vernon Davis IMO
ME! I've been saying he is awesome from the beginning. The only thing he cant do is make good breaks in his routes
I was inclined to say Vernon. But come to think about it, in his previous years, he has always worked hard and has usually produced when given the opportunities. Problem was there wasn't alot of opportunities.

In his rookie year and 2nd year, he missed a few games due to injury. One of which, he chased down an Eagle on a fumble recovery 98 yards down the field (breaking his leg). That play there showed hustle because he was the only one to chase that Eagle. BTW, replay showed the Eagle player was down by contact when he recovered the fumble.

Last year, due to the offensive lines woes and Martz numerous 7 step dropbacks, VD was called upon to pass block more often than not. It's hard to fault Martz completely because the OL sucked that bad.

So bottomline, I gotta give Jimmy Raye the credit.
I think it is Singletary, Raye and Davis.

Singletary - Ever since that faithful day when he kicked Davis off the field, Davis has been a model teammate. He has developed leadership and a team-first mentality. Singletary has challenged him as a person and teammate and Davis has met that challenge.

Raye - He has called the plays to get Davis the ball something that Martz last year almost never did.

Davis - It is up to Davis to decide to mature mentally and he has. And he has also changed physically. By getting leaner, he has improved his ability to adjust to balls thrown over his shoulder.
me, everyone in both of my fantasy leagues laughed at me when i made him he first tight end off the board..
  • wordlesschor
  • Info N/A
The Duke himself. He's been itching to break out. He get's an assist though from Raye foremost for calling his number and for Hill/Smith for giving him some catchable balls. Minor assist for Singletary making him a captain, and therefore, more accountable for his actions.
All of the above.
VD is responsible for his own success. He matured and is growing into the role. Learning his routes.

Originally posted by kronik:
I was inclined to say Vernon. But come to think about it, in his previous years, he has always worked hard and has usually produced when given the opportunities. Problem was there wasn't alot of opportunities.

In his rookie year and 2nd year, he missed a few games due to injury. One of which, he chased down an Eagle on a fumble recovery 98 yards down the field (breaking his leg). That play there showed hustle because he was the only one to chase that Eagle. BTW, replay showed the Eagle player was down by contact when he recovered the fumble.

Last year, due to the offensive lines woes and Martz numerous 7 step dropbacks, VD was called upon to pass block more often than not. It's hard to fault Martz completely because the OL sucked that bad.

So bottomline, I gotta give Jimmy Raye the credit.

i could have swore he broke his leg going up for a pass. then troy polomalu went low before davis set his foot and broke his leg
Everyone gets a little bit of credit but the bulk goes to VD.
I just find it funny how many zoners honestly believed Bear Pascoe was going to take VDs job LMAO!!!!
Originally posted by solidg2000:
I just find it funny how many zoners honestly believed Bear Pascoe was going to take VDs job LMAO!!!!

Whoa! I liked Bear Pascoe when he was in camp and preseason. And even thought he would get a TD in regular season game in a double TE set with Davis. He was cut before my prediction was realized. But I was never crazy enough to go Pascoe over Davis
Originally posted by solidg2000:

always take information given from overly optimistic beat writers at a rookie mini camp - with a grain of salt
Originally posted by King49er:
Well..... Vernon Davis IMO

/thread.
Share 49ersWebzone