There are 176 users in the forums

What our OL could have looked like!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by greywolf447:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
this isn't madden guys. a players performance with one team doesn't automatically transfer over to another team.

there are some guys in the league that you could plug into our system and be successful, and there are some guys who suck balls on our team that might be good elsewhere, but it doesn't happen often.

for every dahl/koshier you have guys like jamie winborn, dana stubblefield, brandon williams, keith lewis, brandon moore, kevan barlow, eric johnson, etc. guys who left for others teams and turned out to be medicore players in their new destinations.

it's not always about the coaches "not seeing", its just sometimes a change of scenery completely changes a player, but most times it does not.

That might be the case for Dahl and Kosier, but that was not the case for Smiley. Smiley was a good guard before he hit FA. Scot thought guards are a dime a dozen. If guards are a dime a dozen why haven't we found one yet? I actually like Scotty but I think that he has neglected the OL and paying dearly for it! I hope we get some OL help in FA and the draft!

in scots defense, smiley played like dog s**t in 2007. in smileys defense, so did our entire offense. yeah it was a mistake to let him go, but given his performance in 07 i could understand it at the time.
It's a moot point...the point now is to use the next draft and FA period to rebuild it.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
It's a moot point...the point now is to use the next draft and FA period to rebuild it.

Thats just it, we cant evaluate and coach to full potential with the talent we have or had. This can go on for many more seasons, unless we make some changes to our coaching staff. I still believe the guys we have could be better, as they do look better with the "right" offense we play in the second halves.
Part of it is coaching...which is why I'd like to see Raye replaced, along w/Foerster. Some players have been given up on...like Smiley, or should I say McCloughan was unwilling to pay him. Some of it has to do with identity...or maybe lack thereof. We're not a smash-mouth football team...but, they've drafted big, relatively immobile OL that are not adept at pass blocking, either. So, part of it is the players we have, part of it coachn. Both need to change.
There's room for improvement in both OL coaching and players. McCloughan didn't want to pay Smiley and Kosier was part of the salary cap sell-a-thon. I'd like to see a new OC (yeah, I know, another one), new OL coach and some better players. Another part of the problem is lack of an identity...we're not the smash-mouth team Singletary envisioned, and the guys we have on the OL are big and fairly immobile, which inhibits their pass-blocking. I keep saying the strength of our offense is the receiving corps, so it makes good sense to adjust the OL accordingly. Great opportunities in both FA and draft to fix that.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
There's room for improvement in both OL coaching and players. McCloughan didn't want to pay Smiley and Kosier was part of the salary cap sell-a-thon. I'd like to see a new OC (yeah, I know, another one), new OL coach and some better players. Another part of the problem is lack of an identity...we're not the smash-mouth team Singletary envisioned, and the guys we have on the OL are big and fairly immobile, which inhibits their pass-blocking. I keep saying the strength of our offense is the receiving corps, so it makes good sense to adjust the OL accordingly. Great opportunities in both FA and draft to fix that.

Good post--forgot about the salary cap hell the 9ers were in a few years ago. Agree with your analysis--particularly the identity issue. Wonder if there is a lack of leadership on the line? I like Heitmann but is he capable of getting the best out of his group? The lines in the 80s worked well together, while I see holes left open by the current group because they don't seem to be communicating. They don't have to be best friends but OLines usually have a commoradarie and get mad if they are beaten. Just don't see that happening. I'm also hoping for a FA or two so the 9ers can go after DBs and pass rushers in the draft.

Still not convinced Smiley and Kosier would be as good on this team.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

Hell yes you can blame Scot. It's his job to continually supply the teams coaches with good players. Good GM's do exactly that every year through the draft, trades and FA. That's how teams get good and stay that way. How many decent GM's have kept their jobs by acquiring only two good linemen in 5 years?

It sounds like McC DID supply the team with good players. McC said you could find talented guards for cheap and Dahl and Kosier prove it is true. I would put this squarely on our coaches for not seeing, developing and playing the talent we had.
Turn the page! The guys you have on this list were nothing special when they were here. You can't change the past so move on.......
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Turn the page! The guys you have on this list were nothing special when they were here. You can't change the past so move on.......

Originally posted by nannite:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

Hell yes you can blame Scot. It's his job to continually supply the teams coaches with good players. Good GM's do exactly that every year through the draft, trades and FA. That's how teams get good and stay that way. How many decent GM's have kept their jobs by acquiring only two good linemen in 5 years?

It sounds like McC DID supply the team with good players. McC said you could find talented guards for cheap and Dahl and Kosier prove it is true. I would put this squarely on our coaches for not seeing, developing and playing the talent we had.

So the coaches only coached up Staley and Hietmann? or they got better on their own? Sorry but that doesn't make sense.

who cares
what's sad is that that line isn't even that good...
that's like saying we could've had T.O., Crabtree, and Brandon Lloyd
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

True it is in the past! However it is important that we learn from our past and not to make the same mistake! Since the McNolan era has been here and really before then our OL has suffered. I think that we need to hire a new OL coach! I hope that Scot get's some good OL help this next off season.
As much as the coulda woulda shoulda thing pains me, I was watching the Saints destroy the Pats, TBC and Person Preylo (i know i spelled that wrong!) were having good games, but what killed me was when I heard Reggie Mackenzie was signed two weeks ago? WTF we lost Walt way before that, and we don't even call this guy up? Gimme a freaking break Scotty!
Share 49ersWebzone