LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

What our OL could have looked like!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • titan
  • Veteran
That would be a lot better than what we have now! In Smileys case people thought that Bigger was better and Bass was the candidate to replace him.
Yup, this makes me sick to my stomach. Also Adams is a good NT for Denver, Travis Kirschke is playing great at Pittsburg.

It is coaching, plain and simple, not recognizing talent, and not recognizing when to re sign players before FA ie Smiley.

It just fries me that they spent top 40 picks on Smiley, Baas, and Chilo Rachal, yet they have not coached them as a niner to their potential.
hell no one is mentioning we could've had stacy andrews T on Philly now. That's what we dropped the ball on. There was 3 solid OT's and we let them sign. FAIL!
  • dj43
Originally posted by 9erred:
Yup, this makes me sick to my stomach. Also Adams is a good NT for Denver, Travis Kirschke is playing great at Pittsburg.

It is coaching, plain and simple, not recognizing talent, and not recognizing when to re sign players before FA ie Smiley.

It just fries me that they spent top 40 picks on Smiley, Baas, and Chilo Rachal, yet they have not coached them as a niner to their potential.

That is the key right there. George Warhop was the OL coach and he accomplished nothing. Of course rotating OCs with ever-changing blocking schemes hasn't helped either.

I've said it before but the role of quality position coaches is vastly under-rated by fans. Those guys are the unsung heroes when things go well, but they often escape the blame when things are not going well. The 49ers haven't had a really good OL coach in over a decade, and it shows.
Originally posted by greywolf447:
LT: Joe Staley

LG: Justin Smiley

C: Eric Heitmann

RG: Harvey Dahl

RT: Kyle Kosier

This would have been a good OL! Instead we let them go and sign people like Jonas Jennings and Barry Sims. Not to mention the draft failures. Seeing what our OL could look like pisses me OFF!!! Who is the brain trust that let quality OL leave??? I know Kyle was awhile ago, but was it Nolan or Scot responsible for letting Harvey Dahl and Justin Smiley go?

Damn, that kind of line would get us deep into the playoffs this year.
Originally posted by socal81:
I was actually shocked that Kosier turned out that good. I really thought we messed up letting Smiley go. I thought he was a good guard. Somehow and somewhere I still blame KWAME HARRIS for all of this!

coulda shoulda woulda
Let it go man. Just let it go...
Originally posted by 9erred:

I can't decide if I blame the coach's or managment. Probably both!!!

This would have been a good OL! Instead we let them go and sign people like Jonas Jennings and Barry Sims. Not to mention the draft failures. Seeing what our OL could look like pisses me OFF!!! Who is the brain trust that let quality OL leave??? I know Kyle was awhile ago, but was it Nolan or Scot responsible for letting Harvey Dahl and Justin Smiley go?

This makes me want to throw up. you can't really blame Scotty though Harvey was a practice squad player the coaches didn't call him up how is that the GM's fault? Kosier sucked when he was here and I personally thought Smiley got to much money. With all that said I will kill (several ppl if necessary) to have this OL in SF.

Originally posted by socal81:
I was actually shocked that Kosier turned out that good. I really thought we messed up letting Smiley go. I thought he was a good guard. Somehow and somewhere I still blame KWAME HARRIS for all of this!

I still remember where I was when we drafted Kwame Harris....

I was away from the city, down in southern cali for a Madden Tourny....and it was announced on the big screen on the side.... "49ers with their 1st pick in the draft select......Kwame Harris".... I was like "Who? ....oh well, can't be that bad"

Originally posted by matt49er:

This makes me want to throw up. you can't really blame Scotty though Harvey was a practice squad player the coaches didn't call him up how is that the GM's fault? Kosier sucked when he was here and I personally thought Smiley got to much money. With all that said I will kill (several ppl if necessary) to have this OL in SF.

Hell yes you can blame Scot. It's his job to continually supply the teams coaches with good players. Good GM's do exactly that every year through the draft, trades and FA. That's how teams get good and stay that way. How many decent GM's have kept their jobs by acquiring only two good linemen in 5 years?
this isn't madden guys. a players performance with one team doesn't automatically transfer over to another team.

there are some guys in the league that you could plug into our system and be successful, and there are some guys who suck balls on our team that might be good elsewhere, but it doesn't happen often.

for every dahl/koshier you have guys like jamie winborn, dana stubblefield, brandon williams, keith lewis, brandon moore, kevan barlow, eric johnson, etc. guys who left for others teams and turned out to be medicore players in their new destinations.

it's not always about the coaches "not seeing", its just sometimes a change of scenery completely changes a player, but most times it does not.
all white
Originally posted by frenchmov:
this isn't madden guys. a players performance with one team doesn't automatically transfer over to another team.

there are some guys in the league that you could plug into our system and be successful, and there are some guys who suck balls on our team that might be good elsewhere, but it doesn't happen often.

for every dahl/koshier you have guys like jamie winborn, dana stubblefield, brandon williams, keith lewis, brandon moore, kevan barlow, eric johnson, etc. guys who left for others teams and turned out to be medicore players in their new destinations.

it's not always about the coaches "not seeing", its just sometimes a change of scenery completely changes a player, but most times it does not.

That might be the case for Dahl and Kosier, but that was not the case for Smiley. Smiley was a good guard before he hit FA. Scot thought guards are a dime a dozen. If guards are a dime a dozen why haven't we found one yet? I actually like Scotty but I think that he has neglected the OL and paying dearly for it! I hope we get some OL help in FA and the draft!
Share 49ersWebzone