LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

Frank Gore and the Spread Offense (Steve Young article)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • ZRF80
This is Young's way of calling Alex a bust. Like he said, you must be able to "adapt" to gametime situations. Cant go in evey week with the spread and hope that Alex will bail us out. Unfortunately, Alex has shown he cannot play under center, even with a good oline (06). Time to move on.....
Originally posted by ZRF80:
This is Young's way of calling Alex a bust. Like he said, you must be able to "adapt" to gametime situations. Cant go in evey week with the spread and hope that Alex will bail us out. Unfortunately, Alex has shown he cannot play under center, even with a good oline (06). Time to move on.....

LOL.

-9fA
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

LOL.

-9fA

I know......I'd LOL too if a HOF b***h slapped me in my face. Here's to Alex Smith, the G.O.A.T
We don't do well out of a "conventional" offensive formation because we have a couple of weak links on the O-line. When we line up in a conventional offensive formation the "D" stacks the box and THAT stuffs the run AND allows max pressure on the O-Line. Our O-line can't handle that situation. IF we we had the O-line that Sing wants, we would be able to crack that wall of human flesh. We do better out of the "Spread" because the defensive "Box" has to expand to take into account the extra W.R.'s. This also opens up lanes for Gore. We need a new solid R.T. and guard to run both the spread and conventional offenses. Sing is right, we can't run a steady diet of the spread, but we do need to run the spread a lot more in the future to play to Smith strengths.

LOL.

-9fA

Yeah..

Wow. Starting to sound like NolanNonsense and NolanHasAPlan (More NHAP, really) in that the things you say are so ridiculous, it's to the point where we can't tell if you're actually that absurd, or if you're just purposely parading around making these over-the-top exaggerations.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 190836:
I don't think the Yorks care much about Young.

Originally posted by Ninerman49:
why doesnt young mentor him??? thats my question and is what the niners need
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

LOL.

-9fA

Yeah..

Wow. Starting to sound like NolanNonsense and NolanHasAPlan (More NHAP, really) in that the things you say are so ridiculous, it's to the point where we can't tell if you're actually that absurd, or if you're just purposely parading around making these over-the-top exaggerations.

The way he tries to spin everything into a Smith Bashing statement makes him sound as ridiculous as Sabrason/Singfan.
Smith has a decent drop from center. I don't see anything bad about his mechanics from center. He does seem tentative from time to time, but it could be a number of things like receivers not open, not trusting what he's seeing down field enough to throw the ball, avoiding rushers, etc.

One of the Matts should sit down with Smith and ask him whats up specifically. Cause what I get from the Zone are mostly speculation.
  • utah49er
  • Info N/A

LOL.

-9fA

I know......I'd LOL too if a HOF b***h slapped me in my face. Here's to Alex Smith, the G.O.A.T

Steve Young is a BYU product, (one that some here in the zone consider a school from an inferior conference), Alex is from Utah...their most hated rivals. I am sure it just fried Youngs ass when Smith was drafted from his most depsised rival. Therefore he takes every opportunity to slam Smith.
Sad but true.

Originally posted by utah49er:

LOL.

-9fA

Steve Young is a BYU product, (one that some here in the zone consider a school from an inferior conference), Alex is from Utah...their most hated rivals. I am sure it just fried Youngs ass when Smith was drafted from his most depsised rival. Therefore he takes every opportunity to slam Smith.
Sad but true.

lol what? If anything he didn't slam Alex IMO. I don't see how he was so critical. He said that it shouldn't be that hard for him to play that way under center and that it's not that much of a difference for him basically. Meaning that he's saying it's not the QB's fault that we don't do well when the QB is under center. That's how I took it IMO.

What I thought was interesting is how he said that Gore isn't compatible with Crabtree and Davis.
  • utah49er
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by utah49er:

LOL.

-9fA

Sad but true.

lol what? If anything he didn't slam Alex IMO. I don't see how he was so critical. He said that it shouldn't be that hard for him to play that way under center and that it's not that much of a difference for him basically. Meaning that he's saying it's not the QB's fault that we don't do well when the QB is under center. That's how I took it IMO.

What I thought was interesting is how he said that Gore isn't compatible with Crabtree and Davis.

Did not hear the interview.
It seems as though Young has not embraced or even aknowledged Smith. Maybe I'm wrong, I am not from SF, but I pick up every bit of news I can and Young does not seem to like him.

haven't we been saying that for years now? He played in that gimicky Urban Meyer offense in college and he mostly looks uncomfortable/awkard under center.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

LOL.

-9fA

Yeah..

The way he tries to spin everything into a Smith Bashing statement makes him sound as ridiculous as Sabrason/Singfan.

We have reached the crossroads of what it means to be a Smith hater. Now is the time when Smith actually deserves some patience, and the haters are still letting their negative feelings remain. Good stuff.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Why would he want to get involved in mentoring Alex? He's making too much money and enjoying life now.

Steve doesn't cash checks!
Share 49ersWebzone