Not a member? Register Now!

Kevin Lynch really positive on Smith

Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
A lot of people seem to be.

Well, accept most on this board, that is.

Only a very few are really trying to blame our struggles on Smith, and those are guys that have wrecked their own credibility with weak argument backed with overbearing bias. I'd say that most of us, if not convinced (which I am not), are cautiously optimistic about Smiths play.

lol. Cautiously Optimistic for 5 years equals a hopeless optimist in my book.

There is only 1 bias that exists on this forum. The desire for the Niners to win, and it is in that bias that blind support is born.

The Alex hopefuls have to wish for the best....because what is the alternative?

I said the day Alex was drafted this team was going to miss the playoffs for the rest of the decade. I am in the extreme minority though....WANT the Niners to Win, but KNOW that they suck. To be specific, I accurately knew that each team fielded since 2002 was going to suck

Congratulations. Most of us know that there has been a talent shortage (on the field, on the side line and in the front office) since Donahue started purging the team and showed his imcompetence in acquiring talent. But more pieces are in place now then they have been since 02. Is it all there? No. But it is getting there. Is it again a case of misplaced optimism? Maybe.

You seemed to have made your mind up about Smith from Day 1. You don't think that he looks better than he has ever looked before and that if the Niners get the right offensive scheme then maybe, just maybe (with playmakers emerging like Crabtree and Davis) the Niners might be able to put the first legitimate offense they have had since 02 on the field.

As a Niner fan, I am rooting for Smith. Do I know for a fact he will pan out? No. But some of you seem so sure in your evaluations that I am really surprised that your talents are not being put to use by some NFL team.

I love my career thank you very much. I don't work in the NFL because I did not take the proper steps to make that as my career, which was a conscious choice.

BTW, evidently even the evaluators employed in the NFL are pretty hit and miss....so I find it odd that you think an educated hobbyist can't outperform the professionals.

Does that mean that you are admitting you could be wrong about Smith (since even the professionals are hit and miss) even though you are sure that you had it pegged from the day Alex was drafted that the Niners would now be doomed to missing the playoffs for the next 10 years?

Only a very few are really trying to blame our struggles on Smith, and those are guys that have wrecked their own credibility with weak argument backed with overbearing bias. I'd say that most of us, if not convinced (which I am not), are cautiously optimistic about Smiths play.

There is only 1 bias that exists on this forum. The desire for the Niners to win, and it is in that bias that blind support is born.

I said the day Alex was drafted this team was going to miss the playoffs for the rest of the decade. I am in the extreme minority though....WANT the Niners to Win, but KNOW that they suck. To be specific, I accurately knew that each team fielded since 2002 was going to suck

Congratulations. Most of us know that there has been a talent shortage (on the field, on the side line and in the front office) since Donahue started purging the team and showed his imcompetence in acquiring talent. But more pieces are in place now then they have been since 02. Is it all there? No. But it is getting there. Is it again a case of misplaced optimism? Maybe.

You seemed to have made your mind up about Smith from Day 1. You don't think that he looks better than he has ever looked before and that if the Niners get the right offensive scheme then maybe, just maybe (with playmakers emerging like Crabtree and Davis) the Niners might be able to put the first legitimate offense they have had since 02 on the field.

As a Niner fan, I am rooting for Smith. Do I know for a fact he will pan out? No. But some of you seem so sure in your evaluations that I am really surprised that your talents are not being put to use by some NFL team.

I love my career thank you very much. I don't work in the NFL because I did not take the proper steps to make that as my career, which was a conscious choice.

BTW, evidently even the evaluators employed in the NFL are pretty hit and miss....so I find it odd that you think an educated hobbyist can't outperform the professionals.

Does that mean that you are admitting you could be wrong about Smith (since even the professionals are hit and miss) even though you are sure that you had it pegged from the day Alex was drafted that the Niners would now be doomed to missing the playoffs for the next 10 years?

Ofcourse I could be wrong. But you do realize the consequences of holding on to a franchise QB hopeful just to make sure; right?

This debate is a luxury Pro Football franchises don't have.....in the NFL you have to cut loose players and be decisive otherwise you will always be one step behind your competition.

The San Francisco 49ers have only drafted 1 QB in the first round this entire decade. With that strategy, this franchise deserves to fail.

Ofcourse I could be wrong. But you do realize the consequences of holding on to a franchise QB hopeful just to make sure; right?

This debate is a luxury Pro Football franchises don't have.....in the NFL you have to cut loose players and be decisive otherwise you will always be one step behind your competition.

The San Francisco 49ers have only drafted 1 QB in the first round this entire decade. With that strategy, this franchise deserves to fail.

They will succeed if they go to the spread and scrap singletary.
Originally posted by NinerFan1977:
Colts, Steelers, Pats, Cards, all run the spread HUM???

Bingo! Be interesting to see how Smith and the offense do in the spread from the start and not behind. Defenses as of yet haven't been game planning primarily for the spread and defenses will likely play the spread differently without a lead.

What other options are out there? Who do you think realistically would give this team a better shot a making the playoffs in 2010? It seems to me that you almost must willfully be trying not to see that this offense under Smith when they open it up has shown signs of really coming to life. Yeah, there was the bad half against the Titans but other than that, when they have really allowed the offense to open up it has looked promising. No, it hasn't shown in W's yet. In 1980, Montana's first year as the starter, the Niners won there first three and there was a lot of excitement after three or four miserable seasons before it. Then they lost 10 of there next 13 including 8 in a row. But they showed signs of maybe having some promise for the future.

I am not saying that Smith is Montana or that the Niners are going to win the Super Bowl next year. But I am saying that there has been steady signs that the offense just might be something to be reckoned with in the future. Since there are no better options at the moment, why not just root for it to happen? If it doesn't and if it is painfully clear by the end of the season it was all just a mirage, how are we any further back? Though like everyone else I have at times questioned the ownership, the front office and the coaches, I don't believe that they will go forward with Smith unless they really believe he is the man for the job.
[ Edited by BHulman on Nov 27, 2009 at 1:48 PM ]
There is very little argument that Smith shines in the spread. The real question is, if Sing will only use it when we are in a hole or open with it and mix it up to attempt to get ahead of the other team at the start.
I still would like to see a lot more out of him when we are in a 2 WR set. In my mind thats the only thing that is really holding me back from being "sold" on Smith. I have a hard time believing its all on the WR & TE inability to get open. I mean in the 2 WR set we haven't even been able to get first downs, let alone move the chains. Smith has to take some of the blame for that. Good QBs find a way to make it happen. After all, you have Davis and Crabtree in the starting line up in addition to Frank "Soft Hands" Gore. No matter how good you are in the spread you have to be albe to work under center or I can't support you.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=134256
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Nov 27, 2009 at 3:21 PM ]
LOL Rod Woodson just said on NFL Network that all he wants for Christmas is for Alex to fulfill his draft status so we don't have to waste another first round pick on a QB!!!

Rod always shows some love towards us (even in the darkest of times).