There are 201 users in the forums

Brandon Jones = worst free agent signing ever?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erWill:
Originally posted by B650:
Ever? Not even close. Remember Gabe Wilkens? Antonio Langham? This guy hasn't even gotten a chance to play yet, so you can't blame him.

agreed.

RB Lawrence Phillips
DE Gabe Wilkins
CB Antonio Langham
T Jonas Jennings
WR Ashley Lelie

these guys take the cake

Almost forgot about Phillips. That guy can sure sustain a "drive" and "run down" opposing defenses.

Originally posted by DertyDonahue:
Originally posted by 49erWill:
Ever? Not even close. Remember Gabe Wilkens? Antonio Langham? This guy hasn't even gotten a chance to play yet, so you can't blame him.

agreed.

RB Lawrence Phillips
DE Gabe Wilkins
CB Antonio Langham
T Jonas Jennings
WR Ashley Lelie

these guys take the cake

Almost forgot about Phillips. That guy can sure sustain a "drive" and "run down" opposing defenses.

If in defenses you mean women sure haha
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Why is he still returning punts? He's going to cost us a huge turnover sooner or later with him catching punts inside the 10 yard line.
Originally posted by crzy:
Why is he still returning punts? He's going to cost us a huge turnover sooner or later with him catching punts inside the 10 yard line.

every time the opposing team punts, I hold my breath. i'd feel much better if he would just get away from the ball all together. People think that if a PR is not taking one back to the house every 5 games, that he's not doing his job. I miss Rossum dearly.
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:

How about Rod Woodson? You've got to put him in the top ten considering the expectations we had for him. Absolute bust at CB his one year here.

[facepalm]

Rod Woodson had 3 picks, the Niners had the #1 Defense in the NFL in 97 and went 13-3. What are you talking about?

Maybe it was just ME, but he played far below my expectations that year. He was supposed to be the next 'Deion Sanders' for the 49ers, but his play in no way met the hype.

At that time (1997-1998) we were still playing for the Superbowl every year and handing out big-money contracts to players deemed worthwhile, yet the 49ers did not sign him to a new contract? That and the fact that Baltimore moved him to safety the next year seem to be clear indications his man-coverage abilities had diminished.

As far as the defensive ranking, Dana Stubblefield and his 15 sacks from the DT position, Zack Bronson, Merton Hanks, Tim McDonald, Ken Norton, Bryant Young, Chris Doleman, Roy Barker, Gary Plummer and Kevin Greene all had a little to do with that.

Having Steve Young, Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, Brent Jones, Garrison Hearst and William Floyd on the other side of the ball didn't hurt either.
Ummmmm no.

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Dec 1, 2009 at 1:13 PM ]
The FO rushed in to get someone signed as WR, but it seemed that was controversial within the team, since it was reported not all coaches on board with the decision. The GM might have had different ideas on that, but the GM doesn't decide who is in the game day line up.

I don't think any assumptions can be made of lack of ability on Jones' part. He just got lost in the shuffle on a team continually trying to figure out the WR depth chart. Getting hurt at the begginning of the season didn't help his cause, since he was never a lock as starter from the coaching staff.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

every time the opposing team punts, I hold my breath. i'd feel much better if he would just get away from the ball all together. People think that if a PR is not taking one back to the house every 5 games, that he's not doing his job. I miss Rossum dearly.

Ditto. But at least Dallas didn't benefit from the cut the way I thought they would. Sorry AR you will be missed.

~Ceadder
Jones is gonna cost us a close game....soon. He'll muff a punt or fumble after not calling fair catch.

Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Jones is gonna cost us a close game....soon. He'll muff a punt or fumble after not calling fair catch.

Agreed. I don't know if he's the worst signing ever but he may be the dumbest player on our team.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Ummmmm no.

~Ceadder

Come on that's just ridiculous

Remember 2006? When Frank Gore went to the Pro Bowl because of Larry Allen and Jonas Jennings tearing it up on the left side?

That guy was actually productive every time he stepped on the field.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Dominque Ziegler >>>>>>>>>>>> Brandon Jones

Jones isn't even good enough to get on the field.
At the time they didn't think Bruce was coming back, and had no idea Crabtree would fall so far. No.
Dominque Ziegler >>>>>>>>>>>> Brandon Jones

Jones isn't even good enough to get on the field.

Is that because sullivan is playing favorites!
Share 49ersWebzone