LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 329 users in the forums

Brandon Jones = worst free agent signing ever?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by B650:
Ever? Not even close. Remember Gabe Wilkens? Antonio Langham? This guy hasn't even gotten a chance to play yet, so you can't blame him.

Agreed. Don't forget about the LP experiment.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
there was some defensive end we acquired from Green Bay (or POSSIBLY Denver, but I think it was GB) in the Mooch days for a 2nd round pick as I recall. The man produced absolutely nothing, and he had depression problems to boot. I can't remember his name, but that guy was the worst trade I can remember us engineering in the last decade or so.

Edit: just remembered, his name was Gabe Wilkins. Antonio Langham was pretty bad too.
[ Edited by Shaj on Nov 27, 2009 at 10:28 AM ]
Not even close.
Steve Stenstrom and Ramos McDonald.
I'd like to think things would have been different for Jones had he not broken his shoulder, but for whatever reasons this year has been an absolute waste. If he's not at least #3 next year, then yeah . . . it will rank near the top of McCloughan's brain-farts.
yes
Originally posted by 49erWill:
Originally posted by B650:
Ever? Not even close. Remember Gabe Wilkens? Antonio Langham? This guy hasn't even gotten a chance to play yet, so you can't blame him.

agreed.

RB Lawrence Phillips
DE Gabe Wilkins
CB Antonio Langham
T Jonas Jennings
WR Ashley Lelie

these guys take the cake

I use my Lawrence Phillips Jersey as an oil rag nowadays
Singletary mentioned his injury putting him at the end of the WR bench, so he has to work his way back to playing time. Injuries may move him up sooner than we want, but I would love to see a four WR set with Crabtree, Morgan, Hill and Jones. Those four guys have speed, strength and quickness to kill D's. Throw in VD at TE and the 9ers may be set for years.

I was not happy with the signing of Jones due to lack of production and the need for OLmen but I have no idea how good he can be given his injury. Speed can stretch the field and the 9ers really need to punish teams who stack the box. Using the spread some in the first quarter might just do that and Jones could become useful!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Nov 27, 2009 at 9:43 AM ]
how can you judge him if he hasnt seen the field yet? the bigger Q is why wont they let him play
The guy was having a great training camp until he broke his shoulder blade which is probably still an issue no one is willing to admit to. Due to the injury he missed a good portion of the season.

When we signed him no one expected Crabtree to fall into our laps and start 2 weeks after signing and have an impact? That just does not happen with rookie WR.

Battle (FA) and Bruce (retire) will be gone next year, Jones will be fully recovered, give it one more year before calling it a bust.

• Chief
  • Veteran
Worst ever, no.

Very bad, yes.

He is paid millions to average 1.2 per punt return for a long of 4.

I swear on my life, I could get a better average.
  • Steve
  • Info N/A
Bruce will be gone next year, probably Battle too. If Jones doesn't claim a spot as a receiver when we are in a 4 wide, what happens if one of those four gets hurt? He may prove to be a valuable back up at worst. Injury and circumstance have hindered him this season. Don't write him off. We may really need him sometime soon.
another great scott McClueless decision, im sure everyone was scratching their heads when we signed them, i know i was like," who?" lol. If we don't get an impact free agent this time around with all that money we have i will start calling for his firing, we got too many needs to just stand pat during this years free agency.
We should just thank McCoughlan for drafting Crabtree otherwise we'd be relying on Brandon Gilmore.

Note to posters here in the future. If he didn't produce for his previous employer don't expect him to produce here.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
We should just thank McCoughlan for drafting Crabtree otherwise we'd be relying on Brandon Gilmore.

Note to posters here in the future. If he didn't produce for his previous employer don't expect him to produce here.

ha ha. I know, there were plenty of happy zoners when he signed
Share 49ersWebzone