There are 234 users in the forums

Ya'll Gotta READ THIS s**t HERE...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Man look, they talkin bout the kid, the QB of the future, Matt M, Matt B.

I mean look hate the Offense or not read for yourself and maybe this should finally shut up a few of us. In a nice way of course.

Both articles:

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20091126/sports/911269965

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/11/smiths-qb-play-has-tilted-toward-outstanding-says-coordinator.html

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2009/11/raye-gives-alex.html?mi_rss=49ers%20Blog%20and%20Q%26A

http://www.sacbee.com/sf49ers/story/2352581.html#mi_rss=49ers
[ Edited by Jersey9er on Nov 27, 2009 at 10:05 AM ]
Originally posted by Jersey9er:

I mean look hate the Offense or not read for yourself and maybe this should finally shut up a few of us. In a nice way of course.

Both articles:

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/11/smiths-qb-play-has-tilted-toward-outstanding-says-coordinator.html

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2009/11/raye-gives-alex.html?mi_rss=49ers%20Blog%20and%20Q%26A

not all, unfortunately. some are just too rooted in their own ego and opinion to change.

But, those of us willing to open our minds do see a new Alex and I for one would love to see what happens to Smith and the Offense in general, when they don't have to switch OCs in the offseason.
OK Raye, so how about having confidence in Smith and the offensive guys to open up the offense in the first half, instead of waiting til the second half, you know, when we have to climb that 3 scores mountain.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by Jersey9er:

Both articles:

not all, unfortunately. some are just too rooted in their own ego and opinion to change.

But, those of us willing to open our minds do see a new Alex and I for one would love to see what happens to Smith and the Offense in general, when they don't have to switch OCs in the offseason.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
OK Raye, so how about having confidence in Smith and the offensive guys to open up the offense in the first half, instead of waiting til the second half, you know, when we have to climb that 3 scores mountain.

I don't think there is a problem with being too conservative in the 1st half. Seems like it's strictly a problem with execution whenever Smith is under center, in both pass and run blocking, and Smith's ability to make quick decisions while backpedaling. We really need to go to shotgun whether we spread it out or not.

I do think Raye has gone way too conservative when we've held a lead lately, vs the Colts and Titans specifically. Our run-blocking is way too inconsistent to be able to play keep-away using strictly the run game, which is what happened in 2nd halves of those two games.
I think all he needs is to be more consistent with his play, when he has looked good this year, he has looked really good. It is easy to see that he has started playing better, even if the end results are not what we need it to be.It is just sad that he is two years behind where he should be...thanks Nolan.
Originally posted by znk916:

I don't think there is a problem with being too conservative in the 1st half. Seems like it's strictly a problem with execution whenever Smith is under center, in both pass and run blocking, and Smith's ability to make quick decisions while backpedaling. We really need to go to shotgun whether we spread it out or not.

I do think Raye has gone way too conservative when we've held a lead lately, vs the Colts and Titans specifically. Our run-blocking is way too inconsistent to be able to play keep-away using strictly the run game, which is what happened in 2nd halves of those two games.

I think the coaches are in a bind when it comes to the shotgun. Singletary elude to this when he was talking about Gore in his last conference. When they go shotgun, Gore may be effective but not his best. He is not the shifty runner type, pick and choose the holes in the shotgun. He's at his best running straight ahead, get it and go with a lead blocker. So in order to make it better for the passing game with Smith and the offense, they lose a little of what Gore do best.

I hope they find a middle ground combination for both.
  • ZRF80
Not to rain in on your parade, but what else is he supposed to say ? "Alex Smith sucks and just cant get it done."

But Im glad he said this. If Alex goes down, then we now have a confirmed second target: the guy who believed in boy wonder.

I think the coaches are in a bind when it comes to the shotgun. Singletary elude to this when he was talking about Gore in his last conference. When they go shotgun, Gore may be effective but not his best. He is not the shifty runner type, pick and choose the holes in the shotgun. He's at his best running straight ahead, get it and go with a lead blocker. So in order to make it better for the passing game with Smith and the offense, they lose a little of what Gore do best.

Yeah I saw Sing's comments on Gore's running style but I thought that was a crock of s**t because he completely neglected to mention that running out of the shotgun takes advantage of Gore's vision by giving him that extra split second to see where to run it.

Gore has looked way more consistent running out of shotgun, and he himself has said that it's a complete non-issue whether he gets a running start or not.

Yeah I saw Sing's comments on Gore's running style but I thought that was a crock of s**t because he completely neglected to mention that running out of the shotgun takes advantage of Gore's vision by giving him that extra split second to see where to run it.

Gore has looked way more consistent running out of shotgun, and he himself has said that it's a complete non-issue whether he gets a running start or not.

He needs that lead block instead of trying to avoid that first penetrating defender. Maybe Gore can show us differently the next few games, but so far that's what the coach are thinking about with the full back lead.

BTW, Mike Robinson is not a full back. He almost got killed withering on the ground on that last injury. I feel bad for him.

He needs that lead block instead of trying to avoid that first penetrating defender. Maybe Gore can show us differently the next few games, but so far that's what the coach are thinking about with the full back lead.

BTW, Mike Robinson is not a full back. He almost got killed withering on the ground on that last injury. I feel bad for him.

b...b...but it worked in madden!
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Not to rain in on your parade, but what else is he supposed to say ? "Alex Smith sucks and just cant get it done."

But Im glad he said this. If Alex goes down, then we now have a confirmed second target: the guy who believed in boy wonder.

Aww no brotha, there are many more Smith fans out there, stated or not. However, don't pop the Krystal yet. I like the kid but I'm a niners fan first. So whether, smith, hill, jto, whoever's behind center i'm supporting even tho some on here just make it about one player. I wasn't a hill fan, but said f**k it. He won the competition so I support. Of course still having my personal bias, but not attacking on a daily basis on him suckin.

Pwilly and company on d and a qb that can throw the ball! If they can get better each week, the skies the limit. If just for the rest of the season what's wrong wit supporting who we have behind center?
By the way, do you fit in that category ,
Alex Smith has actually been outstanding during his second tenor, and this is probably due to all the weapons he has this time (although the line is still trash). We need to spend our 1st to 3rd round picks/FA muscle on some o-linemen and we're in the playoffs.
This doesn't mean anything IMO. You have to consider that these quotes are coming from Jimmy Raye. The same Jimmy Raye that has called some of the most conservative games I've ever seen.

If Raye really thought Smith was this good, then why the hell doesn't he use him??? Why does he wait till the team is down 21+ points before he unleashes him?

I really don't see what the point of this thread is. It doesn't matter if Raye has confidence in Smith or not, we're still going to see the same horrible offense at the start of this weeks game.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
ok raye..put your money where your mouth is...and lets "spread" it early and often
Share 49ersWebzone