There are 106 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Now do you see how valuable Clements is?

Originally posted by Daniel2778:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Yea I said the same thing basically in a few other topics. But everyone hates on him because he has 1 bad game a year.

he hasnt had one bad game a year, he gets burned pretty often actually BUT im not sure how much better Bly or Brown are to make that replacement.

???

Please show us all these WR's that has dominated this year. Only person I can think off is White. And Sidney Rice also had a long gain on him.
Originally posted by nothing03:
He get burned every once in a while like any other CB out there but the thing about Clements is that he is a good tackler especially on the open field. For some reason brown can't tackle. He is like deion Sanders but without the instinct and the greatness.

• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Singletary made a mistake by releasing Rossum. In doing so, he had to then risk our best CB to obvious increased injury potential, and just that happened (Clements broke his shoulder fielding a punt, as you all know). Sing is too proud to admit he made a mistake, but he did. We're still paying for the Rossum release, and this was the biggest price.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
best DB we have. plain and simple
Our defense went to sh*t after they demoted him to getting injured, I mean punt return. I would like him back next year. Our defense is horrid without him
Because he is the best he gets less help from the S's. That increases his chances of getting burned. The DBs don't seem to have a close relationship and that may be part of the problem. They need to meld together and become a cohesive unit. Until that happens no CB will look great. The rush is improving a bit and that has helped but the 9ers still do not have a consistent pressure that helps the DBs by limiting time. It's easy to criticize a guy who gets burned but difficult to see all the reasons it happened. I like Nate and his moxy, and also agree that cutting Rosum was an error. Never did hear why he became expendible...anyone?
Instead of people b***hing about all the money he makes (and he doesen't make or will make anywhere near the $80mill some think/make him out to make) you see how valuable he is in run support and I think it showing he was our best cornerback and he had the swagger and confidence to be a #1 cornerback and I think Shawntae Spencer is having a little hard time right now. I think T Brown is a solid cover corner but he is a major liability vs the run and Dre Bly is a nickel corner.

We miss Nate Clements A LOT. So much so I hope they don't risk losing him next year by demanding he take a paycut.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I don't start threads very often but I feel this NEEDS to be said..

Our pass D has been abysmal since he got hurt. The only reason Gerrard didn't have a career day against us is b/c we can actually defend in the Red Zone. In between the 20's though...terrible.

I think the secondary looks lost without Clements and we are getting beat MUCH easier now since he's been away. We also miss his miss his shot out of a missle tackles in run support

Hopefully now you guys can see how important he was because it's showing up now imo.
I agree Nate is a key part of our D, just because he got a fat contract people expect him to be Deion Sanders or Champ Bailey not going to happen. He's a very good CB however and is huge for our run D and we need him back.
I thought they did a good job holding the hot Jags team to just 3 points.

The D doesn't need Nate, the D needs the offense to sustain drives and give them a break every once in a while. The offense did that, and see what happened.
Agreed Antix.. Also gotta give some love to Takeo Spikes. I missed him in the GB gm.
[ Edited by KevinBarlow on Nov 30, 2009 at 7:48 PM ]
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:

The D doesn't need Nate, the D needs the offense to sustain drives and give them a break every once in a while. The offense did that, and see what happened.

The D was getting lit up in the passing game in between the 30s. If it werent for good red zone d, which luckily we have, the game would have been much tighter. I only care about points, so I'm good with the D overall only giving up 3, but the secondary struggled.

When Clements was around we weren't getting burned like that. Yeah we held the ball too, but look up how many yards Gerrard had..it was a lot.

This thread would be more obvious had we lost the game, but I always like to criticize after wins.
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:

The D doesn't need Nate, the D needs the offense to sustain drives and give them a break every once in a while. The offense did that, and see what happened.[/quote]

I agree the D needs the O but do you really believe that they are not a better defense with Nate Clements in the lineup?