There are 57 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Under utilizing Davis!

Vernon Davis is with out any room for argument having his best season as a receiving tight end. He is living up to the hype from draft day.

Until now the only bright spot in his game has been his run blocking, so why are we not running behind him?

When we pound the ball up the gut we are taking one of our best blocker a guy widely considered the best blocking tight end in the league, out of the play!

The whole point of having a guy like Vernon on your team is that he can hold the corner at the point of attack on running plays forcing linebackers to crash the off tackle play or give up easy yards to Gore. Once the LBs are crashing hard to get to the point of attack it opens up Vernon on play action. Or even with out play action if he just shows block chips chips before breaking down the seam route he is open more often if we run behind him.
Running up the gut behind the weakest part of out O-line with out the benefit of Vernon's blocking is killing our season!
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Nov 26, 2009 at 11:06 AM ]
Thats also where a good play action comes into play. If VD is in to block it sells the run alot more. Opening things up down the field.
I concur.
sorry! no space in the playbook, maybe next year we can instill it.

Originally posted by Afrikan:

Wow i cant believe im saying this, hell of a post. Funny as s**t.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by Afrikan:

Wow i cant believe im saying this, hell of a post. Funny as s**t.

I Can't take credit for the picture.

but I agree with the TC, we need to make Davis the focal point of our offense.....I feel he is our best player and we need to take advantage of him as much as we can....and not wait till we are 20 pts down.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
maybe because he's blocking isn't as great as you guys think. though better than our guards