LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 375 users in the forums

What about...Charlie Wiess as OC?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mrbadd1
  • Info N/A
I’m just throwing this out for discussion since there has been talk about Jimmy Raye not being the right guy to run the offense and with names like Shanahan and Holmgren being thrown about, should the 49ers think about maybe bringing in Charlie Wiess as OC? I think Singletary deserves at least another year as HC but Raye needs to go. I think Wiess would be a good fit. I’m not saying the 49ers are or even have thought about it and not sure he would want the job. But he will be on the market, has won championships, has had good offenses, and has developed QB’s. His offense does run out of the shotgun at times. To me, the 49ers brass should be discussing this possiblity. What does everyone else think?
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
i don't think that's a good idea
  • mrbadd1
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by luv49rs:

Why not? Please explain
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Excuse her she's a girl and knows nothing about football.
[ Edited by susweel on Nov 25, 2009 at 2:50 PM ]
  • mrbadd1
  • Info N/A
We need an OC that has a track record, can develop a QB, that won't leave after one year for a HC job, and can run the shot gun. Wiess fits all of the above
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mrbadd1:
We need an OC that has a track record, can develop a QB, that won't leave after one year for a HC job, and can run the shot gun. Wiess fits all of the above

He will be the perfect OC AFTER we draft Clausen and Tate!

I also think we should pursue Belicheat for HC, if we don't I say ban Valrod!
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

Agreed. Singletary isn't going to fire Raye for a reject college HC.
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by susweel:

shaddap susweel lol
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by susweel:

shaddap susweel lol

• mrbadd1
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by GEEK:

I would take Charlie Wiess's OC track record in the NFL over Jimmy Raye's too. It isn't even close. His failure as head coach at Notre Dame should have no impacted as OC in the NFL. Plus he also worked under a defensive minded coach.

• smileyman
  • Info N/A

He was the OC for the Patriots when they won 3 Super Bowls. Success as an OC (or DC for that matter) rarely transfers to success as a HC.
  • mrbadd1
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by smileyman:

He was the OC for the Patriots when they won 3 Super Bowls. Success as an OC (or DC for that matter) rarely transfers to success as a HC.

Agreed I don't want him as a Head Coach, I want him as a Offensive Coordinator
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

I would take Charlie Wiess's OC track record in the NFL over Jimmy Raye's too. It isn't even close. His failure as head coach at Notre Dame should have no impacted as OC in the NFL. Plus he also worked under a defensive minded coach.

Bill Belichick is NOT just a defensive minded head coach. That's a bulls**t statement that people have been saying over and over again.

He's held coaching positions on offense, defense, and special teams.

As the head coach of the Patriots, he had GM duties that allowed him to draft and acquire talent through free agency and the draft on both sides of the ball. Weiss left NE and the offense has still been a powerhouse for all this time.

Is Weiss a good OC in the NFL, or was he part of a franchise with players that understood the offensive system with great detail and could succeed with any coordinator, as long as Bellicheck remained at head coach?

After all, guys like Weiss, Crennel, McDaniels, and Mangini have gotten HC gigs, and the Patriots remain a top 5 NFL team.
  • mrbadd1
  • Info N/A

Bill Belichick is NOT just a defensive minded head coach. That's a bulls**t statement that people have been saying over and over again.

He's held coaching positions on offense, defense, and special teams.

As the head coach of the Patriots, he had GM duties that allowed him to draft and acquire talent through free agency and the draft on both sides of the ball. Weiss left NE and the offense has still been a powerhouse for all this time.

Is Weiss a good OC in the NFL, or was he part of a franchise with players that understood the offensive system with great detail and could succeed with any coordinator, as long as Bellicheck remained at head coach?

After all, guys like Weiss, Crennel, McDaniels, and Mangini have gotten HC gigs, and the Patriots remain a top 5 NFL team.

Bellicheck has coached everything, he was a defensive coordinator too. And agreed that his former coaches have not made good head coaches, but I still would take Wiess over Jimmy Raye anyday of the week. What do you think about Wiess over Raye. Raye's track record is horrible.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
I’m just throwing this out for discussion since there has been talk about Jimmy Raye not being the right guy to run the offense and with names like Shanahan and Holmgren being thrown about, should the 49ers think about maybe bringing in Charlie Wiess as OC? I think Singletary deserves at least another year as HC but Raye needs to go. I think Wiess would be a good fit. I’m not saying the 49ers are or even have thought about it and not sure he would want the job. But he will be on the market, has won championships, has had good offenses, and has developed QB’s. His offense does run out of the shotgun at times. To me, the 49ers brass should be discussing this possiblity. What does everyone else think?

I know no one wants to hear this but short of Raye retiring or Jed York telling Singletary to fire him, it is unlikely Raye won't be back at least for a 2nd year. Part of the reason he was hired was to bring some continuity to the OC. Firing Raye and bringing in Weiss would undermine that, probably leave us with an OC looking for his next better job and require Smith to learn yet another offensive system. Its more likely the QB Coach would take over the play calling duties with Raye overseeing the offense than it is Weiss being brought in as OC.

Beyond that, if/when Weiss gets fired at ND, he is going to get a lucrative buyout. It would seem likely that he might sit a year, get his health issues taken care of and then see what opportunities are out there in 2011.
Share 49ersWebzone