There are 209 users in the forums

Offensive Coaching Failures: Shifts, Audibles, etc.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by smileyman:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

We ran that play once against GB. I was thinking for sure it was gonna be a run (so did the Packers D), but it was a pass. I liked that Raye was trying something but I woud've preferred a pitch to the left.

You can see everybody shifting that way expecting a run--if we'd gone the other way it could've been sweet.

Wow.

I formation with 1 reciever split right. Like OnTheClock said, that is the most obvious running formation one could ever put out there.

Refresh my memory, as I was too busy wanting to puke, who did Smith end up throwing to on that play? I could be wrong, but I'll bet it was someone on the weak side where the coverage would have been strongest.

I believe it was a quick out to Morgan that was incomplete.

Quote:

I agree with you BTW that a HB toss to the left could have been money.

We even have the personnel in for it. FB goes around the left side and picks up the first defender and it's nothing but green grass ahead of Gore.

This play has worked for us very well, especially when we run.

THIS play, Morgan was open for 3 yards but Alex overlooked him and came back to him as Morgan was almost out of bounds and the DB jumped on it knowing Smith was running out of room also.

It was a bad read by Smith. This play has been primarily designed for Morgan for a quick 3 or 5 yards but Smith, as usual, looks deep first and as usual misses the open man.
I like this thread, and everytime I see morgan go in motion out of that formation, i want to punch a puppy.

I wish we could look at the rams for inspiration.. Their oline is garbage, their team has no talent, but steven jackson with Defenses knowing they are going to run, still gets his 100 yards every game.

A lot from the singleback formation.
Originally posted by chimp914:
I wish you were our OC.

So do I sometimes...

Maybe I should ask to apply as an offensive consultant? Hey, I'd only request half of what Tollner got.

Originally posted by Joecool:

We ran that play once against GB. I was thinking for sure it was gonna be a run (so did the Packers D), but it was a pass. I liked that Raye was trying something but I woud've preferred a pitch to the left.

You can see everybody shifting that way expecting a run--if we'd gone the other way it could've been sweet.

Wow.

I formation with 1 reciever split right. Like OnTheClock said, that is the most obvious running formation one could ever put out there.

Refresh my memory, as I was too busy wanting to puke, who did Smith end up throwing to on that play? I could be wrong, but I'll bet it was someone on the weak side where the coverage would have been strongest.

Quote:

We even have the personnel in for it. FB goes around the left side and picks up the first defender and it's nothing but green grass ahead of Gore.

THIS play, Morgan was open for 3 yards but Alex overlooked him and came back to him as Morgan was almost out of bounds and the DB jumped on it knowing Smith was running out of room also.

It was a bad read by Smith. This play has been primarily designed for Morgan for a quick 3 or 5 yards but Smith, as usual, looks deep first and as usual misses the open man.

That's inaccurate.

This play has not been particularly effective a majority of the time. On this particular play, which I believe was a play action roll out, Smith is supposed to look deep first.

Going to Morgan is one of the last options. Now I've seen it work before where Smith has indeed gotten it to Morgan, but since the roll out actually gave him a little time to look downfield, he did so, and that is absolutely something I would not discourage. If something deep opens up, we need to take it. And at some point, I hope we get these plays.

I think most will firmly agree that Smith has done a pretty darn good job most of the time of taking what the defense gives him, coupled with the time allowed to throw.
  • dj43
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by znk916:
THANK GOD FOR BRIAN JENNINGS

And what does this have to do with the original post?

Jennings is the savior?

FWIW I agree. However I don't see this happening during the season. Not with a new QB and an OC figuring out what the team is capable of.

It's painful to come to the realization that Raye is incapable of outsmarting anyone. Simplicity and basic packages cannot be relied on when you don't have a superstar team, and I'm not sure Singletary realized that Raye is not the cerebral kind of coach like Martz was, who could so often come up with genius "situational" calls.

Raye does the same thing over and over, just hoping we can "execute" correctly. When you don't have the talent, it doesn't matter how many times you do it, you cannot get it done when you're being outplayed.

That being said, I understand the switch from Martz, but up until now, I think the Raye choice is highly, highly questionable, to say the least.
Full agreement.

Wow.

Quote:

Damn cool, can you go one day without bashing the kid. I mean damn. Every post i been in soo far, its like you just have negative threads just waiting.

And ur right once again Cool, but dont forget like i said, to add all the pieces. Like Matt M said,

IN the GB game, alex missed morgan at the end of the first half. He missed a few reads, and dont leave out the big one, there were many times, that Crabtree, Davis, or MOrgan got no separation from the defenders.

IF you gon post stop omittin s**t, and put all the info in there.

Matter of fact every time you post from today on. Why dont you start with the words,

WE ALL KNOW I HATE SMITH..... And then type your words, cause thats all your saying regardless of what you actual say.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge of football X's and O's. Sing/Raye could benefit from many suggestions posted at the Zone this past week and could give the team a better chance of winning on Sunday.
But that just shows what horrible coaches they are. They need to go NOW!
Originally posted by NorthNiner:
Thanks for sharing your knowledge of football X's and O's. Sing/Raye could benefit from many suggestions posted at the Zone this past week and could give the team a better chance of winning on Sunday.
But that just shows what horrible coaches they are. They need to go NOW!

One thing I feel is the time it's taking to relay the play calls in to Alex.

When the play clock is all the way down to 3, 2, or even 1 second.. it becomes EXTREMELY easy for the defense to time their blitzes just running full speed towards the line of scrimmage because they realize the center either has to snap the ball, or the offense gets a delay of game.

This is yet again, another huge problem we've had. Players standing around waiting for a play to be called... We lack not only a killer instinct, but any sort of sense of urgency much of the time.
Good article by advanced NFL stats. Their study shows that teams run too often on first down. The 49ers are probably a big culprit.

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2009/11/offenses-run-too-often-on-1st-down.html
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I vote for an 8th cord in 8 years. This guy is nothing more than a more competent Hostler. Nothing I've seen makes me think he'd be any better next year.
"Jimmy Raye gives vote of confidence to Alex Smith". This is probably one of the stupid'est things that has come out of Raye's mouth. An OC, who doesn't have any credibility whatsoever, has to realize that it's best to shut up and work on improving this offense.
This is regardless of how Alex has performed. I still don't think he has what it takes to remain our QB for the future, but I guess we have 6 games to help us figure that our for sure.

Originally posted by Antix:
I vote for an 8th cord in 8 years. This guy is nothing more than a more competent Hostler. Nothing I've seen makes me think he'd be any better next year.

I can almost guarantee that won't happen.

I'm pretty certain that this team would rather find out what this team, including Alex, can do with two consecutive years to work under the same Offensive Coordinator. Something we haven't had in, what, six years?

I think everyone knows Raye is bad, but I think they'd like to see if he can build on what he has, what he acquires, and what he's currently learned about our offensive personnel this year.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 26, 2009 at 3:18 PM ]
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

This play has not worked for us. Whenever Morgan motions and lines up behind RT we rarely get more than 2 yards on the ground and most of the time nothing.

As far as passing goes--the dump off guy is the last one you want to throw the ball too. Morgan is not the first option. He's the checkdown and the last option. He actually holds his spot there for a count before going out into his pattern. He's the last option, not the first.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by backontop:
Raye can't get to creative due to his alzheimers

snap lol
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Good article by advanced NFL stats. Their study shows that teams run too often on first down. The 49ers are probably a big culprit.

Nope, it might surprise you but we're 7th in the league, throwing 53% of the time on 1st down. (6th paragraph)

The problem is pretty simple. Our execution is horrible, so we end up in a ton of 2nd and longs, which is pretty much a guaranteed run play, which predictably gets stuffed, and results in 3rd and long.
Originally posted by znk916:
Originally posted by Schulzy:

Nope, it might surprise you but we're 7th in the league, throwing 53% of the time on 1st down. (6th paragraph)

The problem is pretty simple. Our execution is horrible, so we end up in a ton of 2nd and longs, which is pretty much a guaranteed run play, which predictably gets stuffed, and results in 3rd and long.

I don't think first down running is an issue. Our problem is second down running. Balancing run and pass on first down, that's fine. But we run way too often on second down. Often making ourselves have to pick up 3rd and 8 or longer.
Share 49ersWebzone