LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Statistical NFL Quarterback Breakdown

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by leolion:
Originally posted by RichnSanRamon:
This is the weird thing about Smith's 18 quarters of football this year.

If he is progressing, then why so many INT's?

If he is not progressing, then why so many TD's?

If his is progressing, then why 1-3 in his starts?

If he is not progressing, then why are these games all so close -- 1 possession games -- even on the road?

If he is progressing, then WTF with the sub-par performance taking snaps directly from center?

If he is not progressing, then what's with the 90+ passer rating from the shotgun?

It is just very weird. 6 games to figure it all out.

When Smith is in the gun, and his first option is open Smith can get him the ball (His passes to Davis were things of beauty.) Unfortunately, a winning QB has to be able to do more than that. Smith's shortcomings have been stated above. Can he outgrow them? History says no.

What?

Oh you mean like check down to the next Receiver and so on and so forth?

Smith has done that too as far as I am aware of.

That's it, SCRAP THIS EXPERIMENT Smith has officially shown that even though he can do the things that we expect of him; he is an outright Loser and will bring bad luck with him into every game where he is present.

Can't coach that. Can't Win with that and definitely can't bring that onto the sidelines. Just can't be done.

~Ceadder

I'm not a Smith hater, and I hate Shaun Hill..but here is my beef with Smith. When the game is in his hands, and he has the chance to win the game..he chokes.

For example against GB, he throws that TD in our own redzone..GB goes back and scores a TD. Please don't try to blame Davis, it falls on our QB. That basically wrapped up the game, without that TD we would have held them to 23 points and possibly winning the game.

Against the Titans same thing, pick 6 and we ended up losing. Against the Texans he throws a pick to end the game. Please I know our OL sucks and our play calling is horrible. We all know that, but when it matters most Smith hasn't proved to anyone that he can take this team downfield and win a game for us. It's always something, that's why no one is sold on Smith. I could care less if he throws 50 TD's but he throws 10 picks and all those picks costs us the game. Again please don't try to blame our D for giving up those TD's to CJ, I want you to see what he does when the game is in his hands.

I know he isn't the only f**king up, our D is giving up way too many points and can't stop anyone on 3rd down. I want Smith to succeed, trust me I do. Franchise QB's face adversity and WIN games, they don't put it on their OL, or on the play calling. At the end of the game there is a W in the column.

Is it possible that once we open it up more and use the spread that Smith will be better? I sure hope so. Is it possible that with a solid OL Smith will be the QB we've always wanted? I f**king hope so.

Until then though I am not sold on him.

It's on the QB and the WR! Not just the QB. Maybe Smith did say he threw it too early, but did you see the replay? Davis has to make a better effort. Any effort is better than ducking.
[ Edited by GBNinerFan on Nov 25, 2009 at 5:55 PM ]
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:

I don't remember seeing Smith say that anywhere, and I read/watch everything Niners(at least I thought I did), so i'd like a link too. QB's will do that, take responsibility for things, even if they're wrong. That's one thing we don't see with this team is finger pointing.

I thought I would've remembered it too since I try to play close attention to that kind of thing.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by RichnSanRamon:
This is the weird thing about Smith's 18 quarters of football this year.

If he is progressing, then why so many INT's?

If he is not progressing, then why so many TD's?

If his is progressing, then why 1-3 in his starts?

If he is not progressing, then why are these games all so close -- 1 possession games -- even on the road?

If he is progressing, then WTF with the sub-par performance taking snaps directly from center?

If he is not progressing, then what's with the 90+ passer rating from the shotgun?

It is just very weird. 6 games to figure it all out.

When Smith is in the gun, and his first option is open Smith can get him the ball (His passes to Davis were things of beauty.) Unfortunately, a winning QB has to be able to do more than that. Smith's shortcomings have been stated above. Can he outgrow them? History says no.

What?

Oh you mean like check down to the next Receiver and so on and so forth?

Smith has done that too as far as I am aware of.

That's it, SCRAP THIS EXPERIMENT Smith has officially shown that even though he can do the things that we expect of him; he is an outright Loser and will bring bad luck with him into every game where he is present.

Can't coach that. Can't Win with that and definitely can't bring that onto the sidelines. Just can't be done.

~Ceadder

I'm not a Smith hater, and I hate Shaun Hill..but here is my beef with Smith. When the game is in his hands, and he has the chance to win the game..he chokes.

For example against GB, he throws that TD in our own redzone..GB goes back and scores a TD. Please don't try to blame Davis, it falls on our QB. That basically wrapped up the game, without that TD we would have held them to 23 points and possibly winning the game.

Against the Titans same thing, pick 6 and we ended up losing. Against the Texans he throws a pick to end the game. Please I know our OL sucks and our play calling is horrible. We all know that, but when it matters most Smith hasn't proved to anyone that he can take this team downfield and win a game for us. It's always something, that's why no one is sold on Smith. I could care less if he throws 50 TD's but he throws 10 picks and all those picks costs us the game. Again please don't try to blame our D for giving up those TD's to CJ, I want you to see what he does when the game is in his hands.

I know he isn't the only f**king up, our D is giving up way too many points and can't stop anyone on 3rd down. I want Smith to succeed, trust me I do. Franchise QB's face adversity and WIN games, they don't put it on their OL, or on the play calling. At the end of the game there is a W in the column.

Is it possible that once we open it up more and use the spread that Smith will be better? I sure hope so. Is it possible that with a solid OL Smith will be the QB we've always wanted? I f**king hope so.

Until then though I am not sold on him.

It's on the QB and the WR! Not just the WR. Maybe Smith did say he threw it too early, but did you see the replay? Davis has to make a better effort. Any effort is better than ducking.

Not according to Brandon Lloyd. I bet he was watching that play and jumped up from his couch and screamed "I invented that"
Originally posted by Thrash88:
This is just me going on NFL.com and taking the statistic and seein how each quarterback is rated per 100 throws.

I broke it down in 3 categories from touchdowns, interceptions and times sacked per 100 throws.

Tom Brady
5.08 Touchdowns/1.52 Interceptions/Sacked 3.56 Times per 100 Passing Attempts

Peyton Manning
5.41 Touchdowns/2.31 Interceptions/Sacked 2.06 Times per 100 Passing Attempts

Matt Schaub
5.20 Touchdowns/2.46 Interceptions/Sacked 5.20 Times per 100 Passing Attempts

Ben Roethlisberger
4.94 Touchdowns/2.9 Interceptions/Sacked 8.72 Times per 100 Passing Attempts

Aaron Rodgers
5.57 Touchdowns/1.46 Interceptions/Sacked 12.60 Times per 100 Passing Attempts

Drew Brees
6.87 Touchdowns/2.81 Interceptions/Sacked 4.06 Times per 100 Passing Attempts

Kurt Warner
5.37 Touchdowns/2.95 Interceptions/Sacked 4.30 Times per 100 Passing Attempts

Tony Romo
4.54 Touchdowns/2.12 Interceptions/Sacked 6.96 Times per 100 Passing Attempts

Philip Rivers
5.29 Touchdowns/1.86 Interceptions/Sacked 6.23 Times per 100 Passing Attempts

Joe Flacco
3.58 Touchdowns/1.86 Interceptions/Sacked 5.37 Times per 100 Passing Attempts

Alex Smith
5.80 Touchdowns/4.51 Interceptions/Sacked 8.38 Times per 100 Passing Attempts

So as per throwing attempt he ranks 2nd behind Brees, he gets the ball in the endzone more then Manning, Brady, Schaub, Rodgers, Warner etcc....He does turnover the ball a bit more but that will come with time he's already putting up HUGE numbers per attempt. And that is while he is getting sacked more often then all but 2 of the above mentions quarterbacks.

We have a quarterback here folks it's up to the coaching staff to utilize him and get him to cut down on the turnovers as he grows with the offense![/b]

Good post. I believe that the TD:INT ratio isn't a big deal. What I mean is that a 40 TD, 40 INT season is MUCH better than a 20 TD, 20 INT season. An INT does not equal a negative touchdown.
Originally posted by smileyman:

Smith said that he was trying to hit Davis and threw too early, but I guess he was confused.

Do you have a link to the quote? I'd like to read it. If so that's completely on him.

If that's the case why do we even have Delanie Walker in there as a receiver? I can see keeping him back but he just seems to take up space on the team.

I'm having trouble finding the quote (I think it was from another thread here), however from the Niner Insider, "He said the intercpetion he threw was intended for Vernon Davis. Singletary said Davis didn't have time to turn for the reception."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/index?blogid=45#ixzz0XvjBsbRA
Originally posted by backontop:

Smith said that he was trying to hit Davis and threw too early, but I guess he was confused.

Do you have a link to the quote? I'd like to read it. If so that's completely on him.

If that's the case why do we even have Delanie Walker in there as a receiver? I can see keeping him back but he just seems to take up space on the team.

I don't remember seeing Smith say that anywhere, and I read/watch everything Niners(at least I thought I did), so i'd like a link too. QB's will do that, take responsibility for things, even if they're wrong. That's one thing we don't see with this team is finger pointing.

I think someone here posted a link to it a few days ago. I think it was something about how he said the clock in your head runs a little bit faster when backed up in your own endzone and he threw it early before Davis expected it.

That was the quote I was thinking of. Thank you, I thought I was halllucinating.

I think someone here posted a link to it a few days ago. I think it was something about how he said the clock in your head runs a little bit faster when backed up in your own endzone and he threw it early before Davis expected it.

That was the quote I was thinking of. Thank you, I thought I was halllucinating.

You are hallucinating! You're not even at your computer right now.
Found it. It's from the press democrat. Such an obscure source no wonder you guys who read everything missed it :

"On the only play in which the 49ers ran from under center in the second half, Smith threw an interception on a pass intended for tight end Vernon Davis with the 49ers backed up at their own 2-yard line.

“I got tangled on the release and tried to get the ball out quick,” Smith said. “The time clock goes off a little faster when you’re in your own end zone. I tried to get the ball out quick and Vernon was making an adjustment to see the ball and the ball carried past him. The safety was moving on my eyes, and he came over and made the play on it.”

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20091122/SPORTS/911229979
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Found it. It's from the press democrat. Such an obscure source no wonder you guys who read everything missed it :

"On the only play in which the 49ers ran from under center in the second half, Smith threw an interception on a pass intended for tight end Vernon Davis with the 49ers backed up at their own 2-yard line.

“I got tangled on the release and tried to get the ball out quick,” Smith said. “The time clock goes off a little faster when you’re in your own end zone. I tried to get the ball out quick and Vernon was making an adjustment to see the ball and the ball carried past him. The safety was moving on my eyes, and he came over and made the play on it.”

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20091122/SPORTS/911229979

Thank you. Then yes, that was a horrid throw.

I thought it was a designed play to have both Davis and Walker cut across at the same time and that Walker missed his cut.
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Its amazing how you can skew stats to portray your point of view. Im sure we could twist things to make Alex look the GOAT.

You dont need stats to see how bad Alex Smith is. Just watch a Niners game; you'll get the point.

He locks on Receivers, has happy feet, and can only perform after he has lost the game...what else do you need to know?

You two are pathetic.

"You don't need stats..."? Yeah, how he rates against other QB's in the league means nothing. Let's see how he rates against CFL QB's. And they're skewed huh? If you can find the real numbers, then post them or STFU!

"After HE lost the game.."? Last time I checked, he only plays 1 position.

Anyway, wins are the bottom line(which we're not getting), and given the facts posted in the original post, it's plain to see that Alex should not take the majority of the blame. Some of the blame, of course, but not to the point of some of you thinking that he's the only problem.

Agree. Pathetic.

The funniest part? They are the FIRST guys that bring up stats AGAINST Alex.

But of course now that Alex has stats in his favor...the tune is, "Oh well stats don't tell the whole story."

Oh really? Then why bring up how long he's been in the league and his TD/INT numbers and all the other stuff you use against him if "stats don't tell the whole story."

Look, I really could careless about Alex to be honest. I hope he succeeds because that means our team succeeds. When Hill was starting I wanted for him to succeed as well. But the double standards some of you have are just totally ridiculous. The VERY SAME things you bring up about Alex are the very same things you deny when it goes in his favor (i.e. "stats").

Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Its amazing how you can skew stats to portray your point of view. Im sure we could twist things to make Alex look the GOAT.

You dont need stats to see how bad Alex Smith is. Just watch a Niners game; you'll get the point.

He locks on Receivers, has happy feet, and can only perform after he has lost the game...what else do you need to know?

You two are pathetic.

"You don't need stats..."? Yeah, how he rates against other QB's in the league means nothing. Let's see how he rates against CFL QB's. And they're skewed huh? If you can find the real numbers, then post them or STFU!

Anyway, wins are the bottom line(which we're not getting), and given the facts posted in the original post, it's plain to see that Alex should not take the majority of the blame. Some of the blame, of course, but not to the point of some of you thinking that he's the only problem.

Agree. Pathetic.

But of course now that Alex has stats in his favor...the tune is, "Oh well stats don't tell the whole story."

Oh really? Then why bring up how long he's been in the league and his TD/INT numbers and all the other stuff you use against him if "stats don't tell the whole story."

Look, I really could careless about Alex to be honest. I hope he succeeds because that means our team succeeds. When Hill was starting I wanted for him to succeed as well. But the double standards some of you have are just totally ridiculous. The VERY SAME things you bring up about Alex are the very same things you deny when it goes in his favor (i.e. "stats").

Quiet, Troll.

You two are pathetic.

Agree. Pathetic.

These Alex haters are skewed. I mean, just look at how they all probably look and speak with such wisdom and insight.

Originally posted by Goldtimer:

You two are pathetic.

Agree. Pathetic.

These Alex haters are skewed. I mean, just look at how they all probably look and speak with such wisdom and insight.

Wow, again with the Alex bashing. First off, the person who started this thread is an idiot. Why use stats to defend Smith on how "good he is" when he hasn't won that many games as a starter. Winning is all that matters. And he hasn't proven he can win yet. And as for the bashers, relax, it's probably just a 13 year old kid behind that keyboard defending Smith. Their is nothing wrong with hoping a #1 overall pick who was supposed to be the franchise QB of a team with a rich history and tradition of producing all pro QB's. And you absolutely can't blame Smith, who has taken a pay cut to resume his career as a 9er. To work his way back into the starting lineup, and who has been quiet as a mouse, working as hard as ever to revitalize his image- that to me is a person of caracter, integrity and determination. So, all in all, that's why I am rooting for him and that's why most want to see him succeed. With that said, go 9ers! And I hope we smoke the Jags this weekend!
Originally posted by Goldtimer:

You two are pathetic.

Agree. Pathetic.

He has to be a poster here!
Share 49ersWebzone