LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 300 users in the forums

Statistical NFL Quarterback Breakdown

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Its amazing how you can skew stats to portray your point of view. Im sure we could twist things to make Alex look the GOAT.

You dont need stats to see how bad Alex Smith is. Just watch a Niners game; you'll get the point.

9 tds in 4.5 games is pretty good.
Originally posted by MadMartz:
Its amazing how you can skew stats to portray your point of view. Im sure we could twist things to make Alex look the GOAT.

You dont need stats to see how bad Alex Smith is. Just watch a Niners game; you'll get the point.

Smith haters refuse to see that Smith isn't the problem. They refuse to see that Smith is productive. They refuse to see that when given time to throw he makes plays. they refuse to see that he can't win when the defense is giving up 30 pts in a game. They refuse to see that the defense can't get off of the field on 3rd down.
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by luv49rs:

Oh geez, that didn't take very long at all.

You know ZRF you would whine about Smith if he was giving the team 6 TDs a game and we lose.

And if you think that total is impossible it shows that you ain't payin attention or you have convinced yourself that these stats are garbage time stats.

Shame on you man. You've said many times that Alex needed to step it up for you to give him credit. He has done that time and again an you're STILL on his ass.

Give it a rest yo.

~Ceadder

How has Alex stepped it up exactly?

You're joking right?

He's been putting the ball on the numbers for the most part.

Sometimes he still looks right at the man he's throwing to yes. But damn this kid has used pump fakes(NEVER did that before) looked off the Receivers, tried to step UP in the pocket instead of running at the first sign of pressure... WTF more do you want from him short of a Ring?

If his Line would give him more than a whiff of two seconds he could do MUCH better and work on the issues as well.

So I guess I should have just asked you an all the haters how HASN'T he stepped up. Keep in mind now this is a TEAM sport. If it's on Alex, I will step up and acknowledge that. So tell me sport, what has the man done to prove that he ISN'T the man?

I can show you that he's done more than he hasn't to prove he is, but I wanna give you some rope and see what you do with it.

~Ceadder

We might want him to be as good when the opposing team is not up by 21.

well that would be up to the HC and OC now wouldn't it

Stole the words right out my frontal lobe.

It's sad how many people blame Smith for our issues.

One question, if Alex is the sole problem...

...then how come Shaun Hill couldn't put up better numbers running the Offense that Sing and Raye stubbornly adhere to?

Ahhh wait another solid one, how come Hill ain't the one Running the Spread and why didn't Sing and Raye use it earlier when we COULD have done so to steal a couple close games?

~Ceadder
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,100 for MadMartz.

Smith haters refuse to see that Smith isn't the problem. They refuse to see that Smith is productive. They refuse to see that when given time to throw he makes plays. they refuse to see that he can't win when the defense is giving up 30 pts in a game. They refuse to see that the defense can't get off of the field on 3rd down.

It paces out to about 30tds. I never heard of a guy capable of throwing 30 tds get so much hate.
Originally posted by leolion:
Originally posted by RichnSanRamon:
This is the weird thing about Smith's 18 quarters of football this year.

If he is progressing, then why so many INT's?

If he is not progressing, then why so many TD's?

If his is progressing, then why 1-3 in his starts?

If he is not progressing, then why are these games all so close -- 1 possession games -- even on the road?

If he is progressing, then WTF with the sub-par performance taking snaps directly from center?

If he is not progressing, then what's with the 90+ passer rating from the shotgun?

It is just very weird. 6 games to figure it all out.

When Smith is in the gun, and his first option is open Smith can get him the ball (His passes to Davis were things of beauty.) Unfortunately, a winning QB has to be able to do more than that. Smith's shortcomings have been stated above. Can he outgrow them? History says no.

What?

Oh you mean like check down to the next Receiver and so on and so forth?

Smith has done that too as far as I am aware of.

That's it, SCRAP THIS EXPERIMENT Smith has officially shown that even though he can do the things that we expect of him; he is an outright Loser and will bring bad luck with him into every game where he is present.

Can't coach that. Can't Win with that and definitely can't bring that onto the sidelines. Just can't be done.

~Ceadder

It paces out to about 30tds. I never heard of a guy capable of throwing 30 tds get so much hate.

That is the thing about Smith haters, they don't care what he does. They just know that they hate him and they will always hate him

Sure you have. His name is Brett Favre. Or John Elway. Or well I could name more but you get the idea I'm sure.

Ohhhhhhh waittaminnit you mean hate from the fan base directed towards their Starting QB. Nevermind. Carry on with what you were doing. Nothing to see here folks.

~Ceadder
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
I find it amusing how the Smith arguments end up.

SMITH IS DEH SUCK!!! HE CAN'T WIN GAMES!!
SMITH RULZ!! NOT HIS FAULT! IT'S THE LOLine!
SUCKS!!
RULZ!!
SUCKS!!
RULZ!!

ad infinitum

The truth is that we don't know. I see big strides in his play since he was put in as the starter. Is he the QBOTF? I have no idea. I feel confident in saying that we won't be drafting a replacement for him next year.

At the end of the year we can take a look at his stats and we can have a fairly good idea of what we've got.

If he is not progressing, then why are these games all so close -- 1 possession games -- even on the road?

If he is progressing, then WTF with the sub-par performance taking snaps directly from center?

If he is not progressing, then what's with the 90+ passer rating from the shotgun?

When Smith is in the gun, and his first option is open Smith can get him the ball (His passes to Davis were things of beauty.) Unfortunately, a winning QB has to be able to do more than that. Smith's shortcomings have been stated above. Can he outgrow them? History says no.

What?

That's it, SCRAP THIS EXPERIMENT Smith has officially shown that even though he can do the things that we expect of him; he is an outright Loser and will bring bad luck with him into every game where he is present.

Can't coach that. Can't Win with that and definitely can't bring that onto the sidelines. Just can't be done.

~Ceadder

I'm not a Smith hater, and I hate Shaun Hill..but here is my beef with Smith. When the game is in his hands, and he has the chance to win the game..he chokes.

For example against GB, he throws that TD in our own redzone..GB goes back and scores a TD. Please don't try to blame Davis, it falls on our QB. That basically wrapped up the game, without that TD we would have held them to 23 points and possibly winning the game.

Against the Titans same thing, pick 6 and we ended up losing. Against the Texans he throws a pick to end the game. Please I know our OL sucks and our play calling is horrible. We all know that, but when it matters most Smith hasn't proved to anyone that he can take this team downfield and win a game for us. It's always something, that's why no one is sold on Smith. I could care less if he throws 50 TD's but he throws 10 picks and all those picks costs us the game. Again please don't try to blame our D for giving up those TD's to CJ, I want you to see what he does when the game is in his hands.

I know he isn't the only f**king up, our D is giving up way too many points and can't stop anyone on 3rd down. I want Smith to succeed, trust me I do. Franchise QB's face adversity and WIN games, they don't put it on their OL, or on the play calling. At the end of the game there is a W in the column.

Is it possible that once we open it up more and use the spread that Smith will be better? I sure hope so. Is it possible that with a solid OL Smith will be the QB we've always wanted? I f**king hope so.

Until then though I am not sold on him.
[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Nov 25, 2009 at 4:59 PM ]
Originally posted by smileyman:
SMITH IS DEH SUCK!!! HE CAN'T WIN GAMES!!
SMITH RULZ!! NOT HIS FAULT! IT'S THE LOLine!
SUCKS!!
RULZ!!
SUCKS!!
RULZ!!

wow u got problems man

What?

~Ceadder

I have never seen Smith check off his primary receiver. I've still got the game on Tivo so if you have examples, please share. Same goes for staring down his receiver. Then, he has a bad habit of moving into the pass rush. Often he will start moving when he doesn't need to, and run right into a rusher. His timing on passes is simple not good. He throws too late or too early. Then when he plays under center he is just terrible. So bad, in fact, that I would never use him there. That makes it difficult to use Gore. I don't know how he has "officially shown that ... he can do the things that we expect of him", please enlighten me.

Overall, he reminds me a lot of Jim Evert. That's a lot better than Tim Couch, but its also a long way from Joe Montana. I keep hoping he will become Troy Aikman when he grows up, but it hasn't happened yet.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:

I'm not a Smith hater, and I hate Shaun Hill..but here is my beef with Smith. When the game is in his hands, and he has the chance to win the game..he chokes.

For example against GB, he throws that TD in our own redzone..GB goes back and scores a TD. Please don't try to blame Davis, it falls on our QB. That basically wrapped up the game, without that TD we would have held them to 23 points and possibly winning the game.

That play happened at the beginning of the 4th quarter and hardly sealed the deal. Regardless the pass was intended for Walker, not Davis. Both Walker and Davis were running deep routes. The play was designed so that both would cut across with Walker being a couple yards further downfield than Davis.

Davis makes his cut and Walker doesn't. If Walker makes the cut the ball lands perfectly. That's one of those plays that's a timing one. The QB has to throw the ball where the receiver is supposed to be, not where he actually is.

Not only that the defense let GB score on 5 of 6 drives (including the opening drive), and with 6 min left to go in the game they couldn't produce a stop. Once again our supposedly great run D let Ryan Grant run all over us for 120 yards.

The only reason we had a chance of winning the GB game was because of Alex Smith's 3 TDs, but I guess those don't matter because he threw 1 INT.

Quote:

Against the Titans same thing, pick 6 and we ended up losing.
You could argue that Haralson cost us that game because he couldn't make a stop on 4th and inches, or because or supposedly great run D let Chris Johnson run all over us for 135 yards and 2 TDs. Yeah he had a terrible game--3 INTs is awful but there's lots of blame to go around.

Quote:

Against the Texans he throws a pick to end the game. Please I know our OL sucks and our play calling is horrible. We all know that, but when it matters most Smith hasn't proved to anyone that he can take this team downfield and win a game for us.

The only reason we were in that game at all is because of the three TDs that Smith threw in the second half but I guess those don't matter because the last throw was a pick on a desperation hail mary.

What?

~Ceadder

Against the Titans same thing, pick 6 and we ended up losing. Against the Texans he throws a pick to end the game. Please I know our OL sucks and our play calling is horrible. We all know that, but when it matters most Smith hasn't proved to anyone that he can take this team downfield and win a game for us. It's always something, that's why no one is sold on Smith. I could care less if he throws 50 TD's but he throws 10 picks and all those picks costs us the game. Again please don't try to blame our D for giving up those TD's to CJ, I want you to see what he does when the game is in his hands.

I know he isn't the only f**king up, our D is giving up way too many points and can't stop anyone on 3rd down. I want Smith to succeed, trust me I do. Franchise QB's face adversity and WIN games, they don't put it on their OL, or on the play calling. At the end of the game there is a W in the column.

Is it possible that once we open it up more and use the spread that Smith will be better? I sure hope so. Is it possible that with a solid OL Smith will be the QB we've always wanted? I f**king hope so.

The same can be said about the defense. If they had just one stop on 3rd down. If they had learned to tackle and not let Jennings run for 60+ yards for a TD. Smith isn't the only one to blame for a loss. Football is a team sport. Smith got the team with in 6 points with 6 minutes on the clock and the defense failed to put the ball back in his hands to win the game. IMO Smith did what he could and did a great job doing it. Yea he threw 1 INT but guess what Peyton Manning threw 2 INT's last week. does that mean he sucks and should be cut??
Originally posted by smileyman:

That play happened at the beginning of the 4th quarter and hardly sealed the deal. Regardless the pass was intended for Walker, not Davis. Both Walker and Davis were running deep routes. The play was designed so that both would cut across with Walker being a couple yards further downfield than Davis.

Davis makes his cut and Walker doesn't. If Walker makes the cut the ball lands perfectly. That's one of those plays that's a timing one. The QB has to throw the ball where the receiver is supposed to be, not where he actually is.

Not only that the defense let GB score on 5 of 6 drives (including the opening drive), and with 6 min left to go in the game they couldn't produce a stop. Once again our supposedly great run D let Ryan Grant run all over us for 120 yards.

The only reason we had a chance of winning the GB game was because of Alex Smith's 3 TDs, but I guess those don't matter because he threw 1 INT.

Quote:

Against the Titans same thing, pick 6 and we ended up losing.
You could argue that Haralson cost us that game because he couldn't make a stop on 4th and inches, or because or supposedly great run D let Chris Johnson run all over us for 135 yards and 2 TDs. Yeah he had a terrible game--3 INTs is awful but there's lots of blame to go around.

Quote:

Against the Texans he throws a pick to end the game. Please I know our OL sucks and our play calling is horrible. We all know that, but when it matters most Smith hasn't proved to anyone that he can take this team downfield and win a game for us.

The only reason we were in that game at all is because of the three TDs that Smith threw in the second half but I guess those don't matter because the last throw was a pick on a desperation hail mary.

Whoever that ball was for Davis or Walker doesn't matter, yes the game wasn't over with that pick but that put 7 points on the board for GB. If that pick was never thrown who knows what could of happened.

Again you failed to understand what I was trying to get across. Point is he hasn't proven he can march down the field and win us a game, when filled with pressure he's failed so far. I haven't give up on him yet, but I'm not on the bandwagon just because of his stats. & don't get confused, I'm not hating on Smith I want the guy to be our franchise QB, I'm just not sold on him.

What?

~Ceadder

Share 49ersWebzone