LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

"The Joe Show" - Joe Staley Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Thinking Harbaugh is going to start subing in the 2nd and 3rd stringers in faster when they have a lead like that towards the end. They don't need a Dirty Sanchez moment like the jets did in preseason.

There only 7 active offensive linemen

That's one thing I hate about football. Teams should be allowed enough players to be able to substitute for each starting offensive and defensive player.

Especially since we're soooo concerned about player safety nowadays.
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
That's one thing I hate about football. Teams should be allowed enough players to be able to substitute for each starting offensive and defensive player.

Well technically they do. 22 starters and 46 dress.
Staley screamed like a little girl thinking his season is over with the injury. Not because he got hurt.
Originally posted by SportsFan:

On paper we do, but for strategic purposes, 21 additionally dressed players (I'm subtracting the punter, the kicker, and the long-snapper) is not enough. If you consider our back up runningbacks (3), back up receivers (5), back up defensive-backs (5), and back-up linebackers (4), that only allows us FOUR players to back up our offensive and defensive lineman.

Allow me to restate this, I wish the NFL allowed more players on a given roster so teams could have 1-backup per starting position that does not compromise a team's ability to run special strategic packages (e.g., Empty sets on offense or nickel/dime/quarter packages on defense).

Yeah, but nobody wants to see LaMichael James or Quinton Patton line up at left tackle.

This wouldn't be a problem if teams were allowed to have all 53 players active on gameday. Or maybe there should be a "short-term" injury list so that guys that are ruled out like Patrick Willis could be taken off of the 53 man roster for a week, and their spot be filled by a practice squad guy.

Something needs to happen, cause I hate seeing guys get hurt in garbage time. Same thing happened to Josh Morgan a couple years ago.
Originally posted by 228niner:
dying or giving birth

dying while giving birth?
He played very well last night.

We definitely need to develop a quality back-up in case something happens to any of our tackles. Boone is lights out at RG and moving him would just weaken another position.
Originally posted by blm7754:

Yeah, but nobody wants to see LaMichael James or Quinton Patton line up at left tackle.

This wouldn't be a problem if teams were allowed to have all 53 players active on gameday. Or maybe there should be a "short-term" injury list so that guys that are ruled out like Patrick Willis could be taken off of the 53 man roster for a week, and their spot be filled by a practice squad guy.

Something needs to happen, cause I hate seeing guys get hurt in garbage time. Same thing happened to Josh Morgan a couple years ago.

Seeing LMJ at LT would be hilarious.
Originally posted by 228niner:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Relieved to hear Staley is ok. I thought the guy was dying on the field the way he was screaming lol.

either dying or giving birth

The Joe Staleys cries of pain at the potential loss of his leg are more frightening to the enemy than the deepest battle drums. It takes three men to restrain him and bring him back to our own.
I was soo scared for Staley. He got scared. I don't blame him. Hes the best linemen and a true team leader. Glad everything is alright

On paper we do, but for strategic purposes, 21 additionally dressed players (I'm subtracting the punter, the kicker, and the long-snapper) is not enough. If you consider our back up runningbacks (3), back up receivers (5), back up defensive-backs (5), and back-up linebackers (4), that only allows us FOUR players to back up our offensive and defensive lineman.

Allow me to restate this, I wish the NFL allowed more players on a given roster so teams could have 1-backup per starting position that does not compromise a team's ability to run special strategic packages (e.g., Empty sets on offense or nickel/dime/quarter packages on defense).

should've been negotiated into the CBA a couple years back to up the roster limit to at least 60 players TBPH IMHO....
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
never heard a man scream like that
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

should've been negotiated into the CBA a couple years back to up the roster limit to at least 60 players TBPH IMHO....

Very true.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

I have always felt it was stupid that you cant dress the whole active roster...I get having the practic squad unable to dress, but if you are on the actual damn team you should be able to suit up for game day.
I know it's he said she said...but I told a co-worker of mine about the injury last night. Apparently he's friends with Staley's financial advisor. My coworker told me later today "my boy spoke with staley this morning. says he's 'good to go'".

So take that for what it's worth.
Share 49ersWebzone