There are 242 users in the forums

General time to throw a ball

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
How long does Roethlisberger hold onto the ball? Not all good QB's get the ball out consistently under 3 secs.

Ummm, but he's a big strong boy who can generally shake off tacklers. How often do you see him get away from tacklers and still complete his passes. More than most QB's.

The biggest problem with Alex is that he still hasn't gotten used to the speed of the NFL and that he thinks too much. His reaction time is slow compared to the more proficient QB's in the NFL who can sense danger and quickly finds an alternate.

That's also why he does better in the shotgun formation, because he has just a bit more time and don't feel as rushed.

Perhaps with experience he will learn this, but his time if getting short.
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Nov 25, 2009 at 10:51 AM ]
  • fryet
  • Veteran
To be honest, when I compare the 2009 version of Alex Smith to his earlier years, I see a lot of improvement. How often did you see him in the past have some easy throw that he hurries and totally misses the receiver? I now see a much more smooth delivery, although granted leading the receiver better would be better. Alex seems to have developed some touch on his passes, because the receivers are dropping a lot less.

He does need to develop a better job at reading defenses and making quicker decisions, but even in those areas, I think he has improved significantly over where he has been in the past. Right now, I consider Alex a mediocre QB. Good enough to win if the rest of the team does their part. I also think that Alex will continue to get better that he can be a better than average QB if he gets an OL that can keep him upright.
Did he really just say Rodgers and Smith had the same kind of time to throw the ball LMFAO you sure you watch football on a regular basis. Rodgers got sacked twice all game and had a pocket to throw out of hence him running out of the pocket about 3 times all game. He rarely got touched or *tapped* as you put it let alone hit. He was sacked TWICE. Smith was flushed out of the pocket often, got hit about 10-11 times was sacked 3 times and still put up 3 touchdowns to 1 interception (which while he might never admit it, was on Davis not Smith = 5 minute penalty for ducking)

He also threw 7 times in the first half because the defense gave up 4 60 yard 5 minute drives, yes that adds up to about the 300+ yards they put up on our *not to blame* defense to go with their domination of time of possession.

Go learn something about football before you respond please you're a joke.
Originally posted by Thrash88:
Did he really just say Rodgers and Smith had the same kind of time to throw the ball LMFAO you sure you watch football on a regular basis. Rodgers got sacked twice all game and had a pocket to throw out of hence him running out of the pocket about 3 times all game. He rarely got touched or *tapped* as you put it let alone hit. He was sacked TWICE. Smith was flushed out of the pocket often, got hit about 10-11 times was sacked 3 times and still put up 3 touchdowns to 1 interception (which while he might never admit it, was on Davis not Smith = 5 minute penalty for ducking)

He also threw 7 times in the first half because the defense gave up 4 60 yard 5 minute drives, yes that adds up to about the 300+ yards they put up on our *not to blame* defense to go with their domination of time of possession.

Go learn something about football before you respond please you're a joke.

Why don't you go back and watch the game. Calling me a joke when you entirely misundterstood the concept I'm trying to point out to you. Rodgers threw the ball far before 3 seconds. There were quite a few completions he threw at 2 seconds. Yes, he had a couple of 4 second pass blocking but Smith had one 4 seconds also.

You seriously need to understand the simple fact that in the NFL, if the QB takes 3 seconds before he makes his decision, then it is the QBs fault.

Why don't you take a look at most of Smith's completions...3 seconds is not needed and is normally not allowed to any QB.

But you won't understand until we have a probowl OL and still give up a lot of sacks.
[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 25, 2009 at 11:49 AM ]
3 seconds? IF the qb doesn't throw the ball within 3 seconds it's his fault? So when the receivers get jammed or don't get seperation and he has to hold on to the ball it's on the qb? Ya you just answered your own question as to why I called you out. Thanks come again.
3 seconds? IF the qb doesn't throw the ball within 3 seconds it's his fault? So when the receivers get jammed or don't get seperation and he has to hold on to the ball it's on the qb? Ya you just answered your own question as to why I called you out. Thanks come again.

Yet a lot have reported that Alex missed open receivers.

Thanks, don't come at all.
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:

Yet a lot have reported that Alex missed open receivers.

Thanks, don't come at all.

He missed Morgan on one of his 7 attempts in the first half? Until he costs us a game quit pointing the finger I understand you're mad because we are 4-6 and I am too but he is not the reason believe it or not. He is a bright spot as in he is putting points on the board. We have put up 20 points a game with him starting and thats pretty damn good and if the defense could hold up we'd have alot more W's. Alot more goes into this then just Smith, he's doing his part it's time for the rest of the offense to do theirs. Including the coaches.
He missed Morgan on one of his 7 attempts in the first half? Until he costs us a game quit pointing the finger I understand you're mad because we are 4-6 and I am too but he is not the reason believe it or not. He is a bright spot as in he is putting points on the board. We have put up 20 points a game with him starting and thats pretty damn good and if the defense could hold up we'd have alot more W's. Alot more goes into this then just Smith, he's doing his part it's time for the rest of the offense to do theirs. Including the coaches.

Titans game.
He still put points on the board it's not his fault his defense couldn't stop my grandma from scoring.
[ Edited by Thrash88 on Nov 25, 2009 at 12:13 PM ]

Let us get one thing straight, a QB should release the ball prior to or at the 3 second mark and most QBs do. I just rewatched the game and Rodgers had that ball out before 3 seconds on most of his completions.

Oldniner added it up and Smith gets quite a few of 2.8 seconds to throw a ball.

If you get MORE than 3 seconds, then you line is dominating. Most QBs get the ball out before 3 seconds hits.

Smith will get better but it's OK to admit that he's slow on his reads.

Lol Joe this is another crap post from you .
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
...Another Joecool biased hate on Alex thread...

Speaking the truth, you are.
  • Dino
  • Veteran
nevermind
[ Edited by Dino on Nov 25, 2009 at 12:17 PM ]
Let us get one thing straight, a QB should release the ball prior to or at the 3 second mark and most QBs do. I just rewatched the game and Rodgers had that ball out before 3 seconds on most of his completions.

Oldniner added it up and Smith gets quite a few of 2.8 seconds to throw a ball.

If you get MORE than 3 seconds, then you line is dominating. Most QBs get the ball out before 3 seconds hits.

Smith will get better but it's OK to admit that he's slow on his reads.

I disagree. Getting more than 3 seconds on one, or even a few plays does not at all mean your line is dominating.

And how often were receivers getting open in that maximum realm of 2.8 seconds? Our guys were blanketed until the 2nd half when we spread the field. 2.8 seconds is just enough time for Vernon to run a 25 yard go route. A QB can have all the time in the world, but if the receivers aren't getting open, he can only scramble for so long before he's either sacked or throws it away.

As I watched the game last week, I became exceptionally frustrated seeing our players not being able to get any separation off the initial jams in the first half. Of the 7 passes Alex actually threw, the only time our guys got open were on short routes like flats or drag routes.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

You seriously need to understand the simple fact that in the NFL, if the QB takes 3 seconds before he makes his decision, then it is the QBs fault.

Why don't you take a look at most of Smith's completions...3 seconds is not needed and is normally not allowed to any QB.

But you won't understand until we have a probowl OL and still give up a lot of sacks.

I actually agree with this. Something like 80% of Alex's plays were over by 3 seconds--either throwing the ball away or complete. He had one 4 second pass play, and one 5 second (but that was a rollout so it an entirely different thing).

The three TD passes came on a 3 second play, 2 second, and 3 second. The only time a QB should need more than 3 seconds is if his receivers can't get open and if it's not done by 4 or 5 then he needs to get rid of the ball because it ain't happening.

What throwing from the shotgun allows Alex to do is see the field better and find the open man, which is why he's more successful running from there.

There's no reason we can't run a deep route from under center--but Raye refuses to call them. He'd rather call short crossing patterns or 5 yd post patterns that take the same amount of time to complete.
Share 49ersWebzone