Coordinator Thread...and rest of staff

Originally posted by TheGoldenState:
Originally posted by baltien:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
David Shaw - OC (Harbaugh's brain)
Vic Fangio - DC (current DC at Stanford)
Tom Cable - OL coach (power running game done right)
Tom Rathman - RB (keep Woody!)

I think this is a very likely scenario. Though I don't know if I'm sold on Fangio....dude presided over some pretty terrible defenses last time he coached in the pros (02-05 Texans).

He was also coaching an expansion team.

Quote:
Prior to joining the Ravens, Fangio spent four seasons as the defensive coordinator of the Houston Texans (2002-05). His 2002 defense ranked eighth in the AFC and fourth in the conference in pass defense. The Texans scored three defensive touchdowns against the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field in Week 14 en route to a 24-6 victory.

In 2004, the Texans set a team record with 22 interceptions, which ranked fifth in the NFL, and returned five picks for touchdowns. Houston did not allow a touchdown for 13 straight quarters from Week 13 to 16, which was the longest stretch by any team in the league that season.

http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/fangio_vic00.html

Texans rankings under Fangio:

2002: 20th in points allowed.
2003: 31st in points allowed.
2004: 15th in points allowed.
2005: 32nd in points allowed.

Source: ESPN
Keep in mind Texans were an expansion team in 2002. We have WAY more talent on defense than they did in 2002-2005

I was just posting for reference. I'm withholding judgment until I see Fangio in action.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

I think this is a very likely scenario. Though I don't know if I'm sold on Fangio....dude presided over some pretty terrible defenses last time he coached in the pros (02-05 Texans).

Quote:
Prior to joining the Ravens, Fangio spent four seasons as the defensive coordinator of the Houston Texans (2002-05). His 2002 defense ranked eighth in the AFC and fourth in the conference in pass defense. The Texans scored three defensive touchdowns against the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field in Week 14 en route to a 24-6 victory.

In 2004, the Texans set a team record with 22 interceptions, which ranked fifth in the NFL, and returned five picks for touchdowns. Houston did not allow a touchdown for 13 straight quarters from Week 13 to 16, which was the longest stretch by any team in the league that season.

Keep in mind Texans were an expansion team in 2002. We have WAY more talent on defense than they did in 2002-2005

Still... after 4 years, the Texans were worst in the league in defense. Not a good sign if he becomes the DC.

This was a team with David Carr as their QB. I don't think the offense gave the defense much to work with.
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
Originally posted by KID9R:
OC Bill Callahan
DC Rob Ryan or Eric Manginni

Boner with a gush !!!!

WE need a GREAT DB coach for sure. Goldson GO! Get Mays & Smith in the line up now. get the #1 draft pick CB in the line up also.
Originally posted by GoGetit:
OC Bill Callahan

Boner with a gush !!!!

WE need a GREAT DB coach for sure. Goldson GO! Get Mays & Smith in the line up now. get the #1 draft pick CB in the line up also.

I have a feeling Taylor Mays project as a starter is over.
Originally posted by ziggy_gonna_rock:
My Guess :

Keep Solari
Keep Ray Brown
Keep Tomsula
Keep Munusku
Keep rathman
Keep Johnson

He brings in OC .

If you look at it, this team had a very talented coaching staff. The problem was that the Head Coach didnt let anyone do their own s**t.

No Manusky hes too bland i think he brings in Stanford DC Vic Fangio

Quote:

I was just posting for reference. I'm withholding judgment until I see Fangio in action.

Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

Quote:

Still... after 4 years, the Texans were worst in the league in defense. Not a good sign if he becomes the DC.

This was a team with David Carr as their QB. I don't think the offense gave the defense much to work with.

I don't know. I live in Houston and it is hard to believe that a better DC wouldn't have gotten more out of even a weak unit than ranked 32nd in the league. If the Texans had Rex Ryan as DC they wouldn't have been 32nd. Great DC's get the most out of even weak units.

Maybe he has learned a thing or two since then, but it certainly isn't a good track record. I couldn't see him getting the DC job over someone like Rob Ryan unless it was just a hire based on friendship.
whoever it is (DC)...I just hope we keep the 3-4.
John Fox as DC?
wonder if he surrounds himself with nfl OCs currently in the game or he goes to his staff at stanford. id like to get cable and tomsula for oline and dline coaches tho.
look at fangio's ranking when he was in carolina. was not to bad
One thing is for sure, there are a lot of highly qualified ex-head coaches who mainly have a chance to be assistants available out there.

I have a feeling Jim doesn't buy into all of that. He will be the #1 dogg and I don't think he will want some ex head coach murmuring things in the background. That's 100% my opinion only.
OC Bill Callahan

Boner with a gush !!!!

Harbaugh loves Taylor Mays. Voted for him for MVP of Pac 10
OC Bill Callahan

Boner with a gush !!!!

Harbaugh loves Taylor Mays. Voted for him for MVP of Pac 10
I want David Shaw as our OC BAAAD!!!
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home