Coordinator Thread...and rest of staff

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Stanford looking in-house for HC

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6002373

Shaw-OC
Fangio-DC

Chris Peterson to Stanford.
scanned the thread and didn't see anything but do any of you think there is any chance we reconnect with some of our past players for lower leverl coaching beyond Rathman now? like Jerry, Young or Lott....??? I would love to see something like that.

i know they are searching for experience and these guys got that. Not sure Young would be into coaching but I think Jerry could be very good at this.
I want Fangio as DC, but an experienced OC...not sure about Shaw.
they should bring in Steve Young to be QB coach. hes a master of the wco, smart guy, has credibility and was a great qb so he knows how a qb should look as far as mechanics. he was one of the most accurate, gutsy, determined and passionate players weve ever had and no one wants the niners to succeed more than him.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
they should bring in Steve Young to be QB coach. hes a master of the wco, smart guy, has credibility and was a great qb so he knows how a qb should look as far as mechanics. he was one of the most accurate, gutsy, determined and passionate players weve ever had and no one wants the niners to succeed more than him.

He already said he doesn't want to coach or work in the front office but would be willing to give advice to the team if asked.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
FWIW, Ratto was on CSN saying Stanford will probably try to retain one of the coordinators as HC. He named Shaw as probably the guy they will try to keep.

With the questions regarding the new CBA that will create some doubts about when Harbaugh can start implementing his system, he would be wise to retain Mike Johnson (at least in some capacity) so there will be continuity. If things go badly with the CBA, Harbaugh may have to go with some form of last year's offensive playbook.

He doesn't care about continuity, he is going to implement his own system with his own coaches.

He's an innovator. Who's to say he doesn't keep Johnson and mix in some spread stuff.

I don't see Johnson coming back at all. The continuity you mention would make sense if we actually had a good offense last year, but we didn't. I am hoping we completely forget the past and start fresh with a new OC, skilled at running the WCO.

He already said he doesn't want to coach or work in the front office but would be willing to give advice to the team if asked.

I'd like to see the 49ers bring guys like Lott, Young and Rice in during training camp just to talk to the team and remind them of the 49ers tradition. Let them have a presence at the headquarters, reach out to the past to bring into the future.

Thats why I said i wasnt sure of young but i really think Rice could be a good WR coach
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Potential Linebackers coach

http://www.panthers.com/team/coaches/richard-smith/bd3ee359-1c42-4f28-bd58-05ff664fb770

Look for guys Harbaugh has relationships with... Just because they coached here once ,before Harbaugh or Jed were in power, doesn't mean they are being looked at for positions here.

Seriously, anybody connected to Harbaugh might bolt from the program now (if asked upon Jim to join the 49ers); most of Jim's staff have been in the NFL, and will use it as an opportunity to make a name for themselves.
I'm not interested in bringing in past 49er greats as position coaches. If they haven't had the itch to coach this point in their retirement it's probably not something they would excell at anyhow.

As far as the ocasional apperance or assistance I'm all for that. In fact it should be mandetory.

Originally posted by CrunchE:
I'm not interested in bringing in past 49er greats as position coaches. If they haven't had the itch to coach this point in their retirement it's probably not something they would excell at anyhow.

As far as the ocasional apperance or assistance I'm all for that. In fact it should be mandetory.

Yeah, I'm not interested in having pure excellence around either
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
David Shaw - OC (Harbaugh's brain)
Vic Fangio - DC (current DC at Stanford)
Tom Cable - OL coach (power running game done right)
Tom Rathman - RB (keep Woody!)

I like the idea of Cable, but we can't expect to keep him on our staff longer than 1 or 2 seasons as a position coach.
Originally posted by 9ERFANINAZ:
Vic Fangio

Coaching Career
1979-81 Dunmore H.S. Linebackers/Defensive Coordinator
1982 Milford Academy Defensive Coordinator
1983 North Carolina Graduate Assistant
1984-85 Philadelphia/Baltimore Stars Defensive Assistant
1986-94 New Orleans Saint Linebackers
1995-98 Carolina Panthers Defensive Coordinator
1999-01 Indianapolis Colts Defensive Coordinator
2002-05 Houston Texans Defensive Coordinator
2006-08 Baltimore Ravens Special Assistant to Head Coach
2009 Baltimore Raves Special Assistant to Head Coach/Linebackers
2010 Stanford Assistant Coach - Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers
2011 San Francisco 49ers Assistant Coach - Defensive Coordinator

Looks like he spent a lot of time under Jim Mora Sr and Dom Capers. If he can use our LBs the way the Saints LBs looked under Mora, look out.
I really hope Stanford cuts a deal with Chris Peterson. That should free-up Harbaugh to raid the staff at will.
Originally posted by brucesf49:
Originally posted by CrunchE:

Yeah, I'm not interested in having pure excellence around either

Can't we just take Rice's mojo and inject it into Crabtree by now?
Share 49ersWebzone