There are 222 users in the forums

49ers Great and Hall of Famer, Bob St. Clair Comments on Our Current Team!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
can anyone recap please?

This for 25 minutes. But seriously, these guys are genuine.

[ Edited by redrathman on Nov 25, 2009 at 8:32 AM ]
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Wonder if he would make a good O-line coach.

He's 78 and he's never coached a down of football in his life.
yeah would of been better with a transcript. i listened to some, but one thing that stuck out. Just so funny how not once did he mention how much the Qb sucks. And actually pointed out positions on the line that need to get better. And raye's playcalling.

Wow. nice when someone talks about the glaring problems, and without bias for a single player, or position. Let me see some Haters, say his words arent credible.
He is a ST.Clair just like me

We tend to call things as they are, "sugarcoating" is for candy@ss's
I saw him play, too, and he was a beast in his time. He was huge then...6-9, @ 265-270. There were no 300 pounders in those days. His Niner teams had no problems running or passing the ball...not when surrounded by fellow HOFers like Hugh McElhenny, Y.A. Tittle, Joe (the Jet) Perry, etc. Receivers like Billy Wilson, R.C. Owens. Those guys could play some offense. So, it's no wonder he shudders at what he sees now.
I know how you feel Bob. It's like groundhog day every sunday with the playcalling. I went down to Arizona for week 1 this year and when my dad and I were walking back to the car this old man walks up to me and fist pumps and says "Niners!" I knew when i walked away that he looked familiar and turns out it was Bob St Clair. Wish I would've taken a photo with him.
Bob calls it like it is. How in the hell can five guys block nine, especially when the defense knows the play that has been called. No way. I am not saying that our OL is great by any stretch, but they have been made to look sh--tty by being called upon to do the impossible. Look how much better they looked in the spread. Most people don't realize how cognizant Walsh was of OL challenges. His play calling supported McKittrick and vice versa. A quick passing game and keeping defenses on their heels made the OL jobs much easier than what we have now with the offensively brain dead Singletary and Raye combination.
Bob St. Clair was the tallest player in football. (6'9 267 lbs. as a linemen) He was later surpassed by Ed "Too Tall" Jones.
St. Clair comments on DL knowing what we are going to do and how by just changing up plays can buy you as a OL a few tenth of a seconds was interesting. Just hammered on Raye about being so predictable which is very true.

IMO we need a new offensive line coach Rachel has regressed, Baas has never met expectations, Snyder is weak. All we have is Staley and Heitmann. McKittrick was the type of coach who could make something out of nothing but the current coach we have cannot.
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:
St. Clair comments on DL knowing what we are going to do and how by just changing up plays can buy you as a OL a few tenth of a seconds was interesting. Just hammered on Raye about being so predictable which is very true.

IMO we need a new offensive line coach Rachel has regressed, Baas has never met expectations, Snyder is weak. All we have is Staley and Heitmann. McKittrick was the type of coach who could make something out of nothing but the current coach we have cannot.

I agree we need a new offensive line coach. In my opinion, experience does not guarantee production. I want a proven offensive line coach. (statistically) Not just one whom has experience, but bounced around from team to team!

^^^ Actually Bob is a good friend of mine and he's just passing along my opinion that he's proably heard hundreds of times....

But it IS something that I been saying for a VERY long time now.

Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by RaiderHater90:
watching now so far..really like what the have said so far (8min in)

they want jimmy to change his calling

Wait until you get to him talking about the players of his era vs. players of today!

And him playing Wilt Chamberlain in a pick up game.

What a riot. I like his parting shot. "...I would bite their fingers and have blood in my mouth from it and look at the ref and tell em the guy hit me. All the while they're over there holding their fingers in pain."

I gotta say that would make me think twice about usin ANY man's face mask. Never know if the next Geek is that guy.

Good lookin out bringin us this stuff PT.

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Nov 25, 2009 at 5:31 PM ]
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
^^^ Actually Bob is a good friend of mine and he's just passing along my opinion that he's proably heard hundreds of times....

But it IS something that I been saying for a VERY long time now.

Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by RaiderHater90:
watching now so far..really like what the have said so far (8min in)

they want jimmy to change his calling

Wait until you get to him talking about the players of his era vs. players of today!

And him playing Wilt Chamberlain in a pick up game.

What a riot. I like his parting shot. "...I would bite their fingers and have blood in my mouth from it and look at the ref and tell em the guy hit me. All the while they're over there holding their fingers in pain."

I gotta say that would make me think twice about usin ANY man's face mask. Never know if the next Geek is that guy.

Good lookin out bringin us this stuff PT.

~Ceadder

No problem at all!
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

Isn't he the one that ate his steaks raw?
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:

our current OLine coach can't even turn something into something
Originally posted by smileyman:

Isn't he the one that ate his steaks raw?

I remember him saying, "These are my orderves... and I'd eat them like M &M's."
Share 49ersWebzone