There are 257 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

3rd and Inches Challenge

Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Another frustrating part of Sundays game was Singletary's use of a challenge on the spot of the ball with 3rd and inches coming up for GB right before the 2 minute warning.

I don't know what he or Paraag saw but it cost us our final timeout and on the 3rd and inches QB sneak the defense claimed Rodgers fumbled but of course it did not matter since we were out of challenges and to's. No one mentioned this but it was a crucial challenge.

Horrible game management

horrible spot of the ball twice...it didnt matter because GB still could of ran the clock giving us hardly enough time to do anything.

There was 2:32 left on the clock when Rodgers appeared to fumble the ball on the 3rd down conversion

Phantom fumble, the broadcast didnt even check to see if it was, nor was it mentioned after words except in niner talk.
I thought it was a very good use of a challenge, not only was the ball carrier stopped shorter then the refs spotted it but it smarter to use your time out on the front side of the 2 minute warning then the back end. If we got the spot like we should have we would have had an easier time stopping them with the clock stopped, but since we didnt we still used the timeout in a good spot.

but it doesnt really matter cause its over and we lost................ again
Originally posted by crzy:
refs screwed us. The challenge was fine.

really? damn to the refs screwed us cuz refs don't like the 49ers while!
The niners were going to call a timeout to stop the clock anyways. It made no difference. I can't believe the annoucers didn't realize this. It's got a lot of fans talking about nothing. Singletary challenged to call because it wasn't going to hurt one way or another.
[ Edited by dirtysouthniner on Nov 24, 2009 at 4:38 PM ]
That was almost as dumb as calling a timeout right before challenging a play.

Although it would not have mattered even if we had stopped them because we all know that Alex would have thrown a interception the very next play.
Originally posted by Tman:
I thought it was a very good use of a challenge, not only was the ball carrier stopped shorter then the refs spotted it but it smarter to use your time out on the front side of the 2 minute warning then the back end. If we got the spot like we should have we would have had an easier time stopping them with the clock stopped, but since we didnt we still used the timeout in a good spot.

but it doesnt really matter cause its over and we lost................ again

Thank you!

Why are so many people making an issue of this, when it simply makes sense! The problem wasn't the timeout, it was the fact that we couldn't stop them!
It was a bad spot.
Mentioned earlier. We were prolly gonna call a time out anyway. Might as well see if we can get something out of it.
Calling a timeout gets the defense a short break and saves game time. With the challenge, you have a chance to cost green bay some yardage and gain more rest time than with just a timeout.
We were screwed, but I doubt our D would have held them anyway. They were mowing us down during that last drive.
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
The niners were going to call a timeout to stop the clock anyways. It made no difference. I can't believe the annoucers didn't realize this. It's got a lot of fans talking about nothing. Singletary challenged to call because it wasn't going to hurt one way or another.

I thought the same thing too, but it looked like Rodgers might have fumbled the QB sneak on 4th down nd we didn't have a timeout to challenge the play.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
I'm 90% sure that they can't move the spot of the ball unless the new spot is closer to the yard to gain. They can't move the ball back a yard or something. I was yelling that at the t.v. when they challenged it. I may be mistaken but IMO it was an unwinnable challenge and Wasted Timeout.
[ Edited by KID9R on Nov 24, 2009 at 5:53 PM ]
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:

Are you sure they didn't start running the clock after the review? I erased the game allready and can't check it.
are you guys stupid? this was a great use of the challenge. why?

1. it was a bad spot
2. we had NOTHING TO LOSE. we were going to take a timeout anyways at that point, why not have them take a look at the play? either way, the clock was stopped

i swear some people on this board have no football sense and have no concept regarding the context of certain calls/challenges.
Another frustrating part of Sundays game was Singletary's use of a challenge on the spot of the ball with 3rd and inches coming up for GB right before the 2 minute warning.

I don't know what he or Paraag saw but it cost us our final timeout and on the 3rd and inches QB sneak the defense claimed Rodgers fumbled but of course it did not matter since we were out of challenges and to's. No one mentioned this but it was a crucial challenge.

Horrible game management

horrible spot of the ball twice...it didnt matter because GB still could of ran the clock giving us hardly enough time to do anything.

There was 2:32 left on the clock when Rodgers appeared to fumble the ball on the 3rd down conversion

Phantom fumble, the broadcast didnt even check to see if it was, nor was it mentioned after words except in niner talk.

the challenged was good and it looked as if we were gonna win the challenge...i saw the instant replay they were playing back for us viewers at home....even tho it would've been only a few inches back....winning this game would've been a matter of inches only!