LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

A Tale of Two Halves

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The stats for the Packer game tell the story of the difference between the two teams.

The 49'ers shut their offense down in the first half, handing the game to the Packers within the first 30 minutes. The Packers shut down their offense in the second half or the score would have been much worse. Rodgers threw out of the shotgun (spread) 21 times in the 1st half for 200 yards and a 16 yard average per pass. He was on a pace to throw for over 400 yards from the spread alone. In the second half only 9 times from the spread, they were running down the clock with their running.

Smith only threw out of the shotgun (spread) 5 times in the 1st half. In the 2nd half from the spread he threw 21 times for 226 yards and a 16 yard average per pass. The same average per pass as Rodgers. Essentially, Singletary and Raye mailed the game in during the first half, never allowing their team to compete or have a chance to win. We can't delude ourselves into thinking that we were making a run for a win, when it is obvious the Pack had shut their offense down.

Secondly, besides sh--ty coaching, we get to see how crappy our OL really is. The Packers ran the ball 32 times for 158 yards in the game versus the Niner's 10 for 69 yards. Eliminating Gore's one long run, we averaged 2 yards per carry, setting up 2nd and 3rd and longs. Defensive coaches must laugh their a$$eS off when they see the Niner 1st half game plan.

What is really scary is that the Packers were on a 1st half pace of putting up 724 total yards against our "vaunted" defense. Frightening to think about. I hope the head coach and OC can see what happens when a team uses both a prevent offense and prevent defense in the same half. LOL What a joke.

By the way, this is post is not about building up Smith or tearing him down. It just shows that both he and Rodgers are both more effective operating from the Spread. Rodgers also has a running game and OL to keep the defense honest and a play caller who is not afraid to open it up and playing to win. Alex is playing with a heavy weight around his neck with a pathetic offensive scheme, no running game and worthless OL. Sad.
[ Edited by SDDAVE on Nov 24, 2009 at 3:02 PM ]
I agree. Good observations, and I think another poster mentioned that our D was able to slow the Pack's O in the second half when we generated a couple first downs on O and gave the D a chance to rest. Spread man, spread
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
I agree. Good observations, and I think another poster mentioned that our D was able to slow the Pack's O in the second half when we generated a couple first downs on O and gave the D a chance to rest. Spread man, spread

Consdering all of those yards in the 1st half, our D only gave up 2 TDs.

That first half was on the offense more than anything.
Sing and Raye should learn what GB did on their last drive. On that 3rd down they didn't run the ball so we can use our TO's they went for the kill and passed on 3rd down and completed it to I believe Finley. That pretty much sealed the game, they didn't run a fricking HB dive like we did against Minny.
what is apparant in both halves is the fact that we couldnt stop their offense WHEN WE NEEDED IT,
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Sing and Raye should learn what GB did on their last drive. On that 3rd down they didn't run the ball so we can use our TO's they went for the kill and passed on 3rd down and completed it to I believe Finley. That pretty much sealed the game, they didn't run a fricking HB dive like we did against Minny.

Coach Singletary needs to take notice of this for sure!
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
what is apparant in both halves is the fact that we couldnt stop their offense WHEN WE NEEDED IT,

Bingo. We let GB score on their opening drive--that hadn't happened all year. The last quarter we couldn't get the one stop we needed to give the ball back to the offense.
The defense was horrible in the first half. Got a little better in the second half. But it maybe a combination of the Packers not wanting to make any turnovers to feed our offensive momentum. When they needed to, the Packs offense came out of their shells and b*tch slapped our defense the last 5+ minutes to end the game.

Conservative offense?...sure...but make sure your defense is at least consistent and showed up for every game. This approach may work for Singletary at the beginning of the season when the team was healthy. Now the defense is not the same because of injuries. Can't rely on them to hold opponents like before. So they better be prepared to put away that conservative offense and take some risk in the passing game just to keep up with the score when our defense stunk it up early, often, and late in the game.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 25, 2009 at 4:09 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone