Not a member? Register Now!

Is our team better than its record?

Is our team better than its record?

• B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by smileyman:
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by smileyman:
Good hell people. I hate this mentality of getting rid of Sing and Raye because of a bad stretch.

If we'd had this mentality back in 1979 after Walsh's 2-14 start he'd be out the door. His 1980 record was 6-10 and that would've caused many of you to want him gone even more. Hell most of the people calling for Sing and Raye to be gone would be sharpening the pitchforks and lighting the torches in the middle of Walsh's first season!

We have an outside chance at 10-6 (not likely), a decent chance at 9-7 (very doable). I'll be shocked if we end up below 8-8 (personally I think we'll end up at 9-7 which is what I predicted at the beginning of the year).

An 8-8 record will be the best record we've had since 2002!! That alone will make this season a success in my mind because we've only had 2 winning seasons in 10 years.

Walsh revolutionized offense. What are Singletary and Raye going to do? They're not reinventing the wheel or anything. Singletary knows nothing about offense. Raye has never proven anything. They won't be missed.

Walsh didn't revolutionize offense his first year, nor his second year. That's the point I'm making.

Sing hasn't even coached for a full year yet and already people are calling for his head on a silver platter.

Yeah, I get what you're saying, but I don't think Singletary is really going to be a genius coach or anything like that. We won't be losing a great football mind. He just wants to run and play defense. Raye has had plenty of time to prove himself in the league. I don't mind giving Singletary another year, but I want a qualified OC under him. If it was up to me, I'd just go get a Shanahan or Holmgren though, to be honest.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by B650:

Yeah, I get what you're saying, but I don't think Singletary is really going to be a genius coach or anything like that. We won't be losing a great football mind. He just wants to run and play defense. Raye has had plenty of time to prove himself in the league. I don't mind giving Singletary another year, but I want a qualified OC under him. If it was up to me, I'd just go get a Shanahan or Holmgren though, to be honest.

I don't like Raye either. Shannahan wants to be the man in charge, so I doubt he comes back to SF though I'd love to have him. Same with Holmgren. He might be more willing to be an OC but I think he wants a GM job (and he might get it in Seattle).

I've heard quite a few people mention Charlie Weis--I wouldn't be opposed to that. He stinks as a head coach, but he was OC for the Patriots from 2000 to 2004 before getting the Notre Dame gig.
Originally posted by calinig4life:
i think we play better than our record but we finish the way our record shows.[/quote

I agree........

Overall the Niners should have a better record. With the exception of the offensive line, there is enough talent to make them a playoff team. It kills me to have to say again - "Wait 'till next year", but that seems to be the direction we're headed.
Normally, I'd subscribe to the Parcells line of thinking but one thing that is interesting is that we've only lost one game by more than 1 score and that's the Atlanta debacle. That leads me to say, yes, we are better than what our record is but...

I do qualify that with noting that the way our OL + playcalling is going, we deserve to be what our record says we are.

Originally posted by luv49rs:
Originally posted by ReverendRashad15:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by krizay:
I won't believe we're better 'til we start winning some of the games we've lost...that's the only true measure. Close but no cigar gets you absolutely no respect in the NFL. We'll continue to be pretenders 'til we prove we're actually contenders.
Thanks to McClueless we still have holes in OL and pass rush and then add a coaching staff that is slow to make changes to the offense to take advantage of our personel and , and can't make timely adjustments during a game , add to that that we have been far too predictable.
[ Edited by 49ERGUY on Nov 25, 2009 at 11:05 AM ]
If the 49ers were in any other division, would we be 4-6 or worse?
Our record shows where we stand. Our defense is in the top half of the league, while our offense is struggling. Very few teams ever have one good side of the ball, while maintaing a record over .500...
Of course we are! Moral victories count!!!
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
Of course we are! Moral victories count!!!

Yea folks were going nuts trying to call the Vikings game a moral victory and a good lose.