There are 38 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Screw the offense, what happened to our supposedly great defense

• cools
  • Veteran
Our OLB's are not getting to the QB and are not real good at covering outside runs

I had hoped Haralson and Lawson would step up this year, from what ive seen, Lawson just isnt an NFL pass rusher, he may be best suited as a 4-3 "Coverage" OLB
and though Haralson provides a bit of QB pressure, he is not good at covering outside runs, and often takes himself out of the play with poor angles
Both are easily taken out of plays by one blocker

Our best pass rusher (J.Smith) has two take on 2 blockers every play since he is a 3-4 DE. the rest of the DL is playing well, and is the strength of our D'
which brings up thoughts about maybe playing a 4-3

Losing Nate at CB has hurt us, and the overall play of our DB's has declined in recent weeks, though it doesnt help that we dont get pressure on the QB
[ Edited by cools on Nov 26, 2009 at 9:52 AM ]
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by znk916:
Originally posted by highwayone:
Well, let's see:

1/ They needed to stop the Titans on 4th down to win .... FAIL (coulda won)
2/ They needed to stop Favre on one play to win ... FAIL (shoulda won)
3/ They needed to stop Green Bay to get the ball back ... FAIL (coulda won)
4/ They needed to stop the Colts to get the ball back .... FAIL (could won)

Have a nice day

this

1/ Just one more drive longer than 3 and out would have won the game. Offensive Failure.
2/ Ditto
3/ One INCH lost this game. That one INCH was crucial to setting up Team Chemistry for the ENTIRE 1st half and POSSIBLY the game.
4/ It's Peyton Manning?!?! The man was held to ZERO scores on the day. ZERO!!!

You too.

znk, that's why n00bs should not post.

~Ceadder

you can put both together (plus the fact you forgot the mistakes on special teams - how dare you?) and do you know what you get ?
Team failure !
The offense cannot finish
The defense cannot finish
Special teams messes it up
That's a perfect combo for a 4-6 record

And be happy cos if our schedule was tougher it would be even lower than that

If the trends continue you can expect this
vs Jaguars : L
at seahawks : W
vs Cards : L
at Philly : L
vs Lions : W
at rams : W
and a 7-9 record to finish the season

Jed you're smart man when you said it was the last our season ended in december cos you give yourself one more year (maybe you talked to Goddell and arranged with him that every season will finish in january from now on ?)
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cools:
Our OLB's are not getting to the QB and are not real good at covering outside runs

I had hoped Haralson and Lawson would step up this year, from what ive seen, Lawson just isnt an NFL pass rusher, he may be best suited as a 4-3 "Coverage" OLB
and though Haralson provides a bit of QB pressure, he is not good at covering outside runs, and often takes himself out of the play with poor angles
Both are easily taken out of plays by one blocker

Our best pass rusher (J.Smith) has two take on 2 blockers every play since he is a 3-4 DE. the rest of the DL is playing well, and is the strength of our D'
which brings up thoughts about maybe playing a 4-3

Losing Nate at CB has hurt us, and the overall play of our DB's has declined in recent weeks, though it doesnt help that we dont get pressure on the QB

Shhh....be careful what you say about the beloved 3-4, I brought up the idea of moving back to the 4-3 a couple of weeks ago and people just freaked out all around.
I don't really agree that we should lay the blame squarely on the defense, that it's the defense's job to get off the field, period. Football is a game where the offense is designed to score, from the rules dictating pass interference to quarterback hits. It's like hockey--if you take enough shots, eventually one of them will go in. If the offense gets enough cracks at it eventually someone will blow a coverage, miss a tackle, let up a catch. That's why a shut out is so rare.

Now yea, our defense hasn't exactly been stellar, or even as good as we thought it might be. But what concerns me is all the attention the defense has been getting. The lion's share of the attention should go to our anemic offense, and to fixing our anemic offense because whereas our defense is just not very good, our offense by itself loses games.

So like this whole Tarell Brown getting demoted thing. It bugs me because it implies that Singletary thinks the problem is with the D, and that we can just keep 3-and-outing on O. Yes, there are problems with the D, and ya by all means, Singletary, fix the D, but the D shouldn't be grabbing headlines.
First off, great TEAM win across the board!

Staying with the topic:

Still got big concerns with the safety play. Lewis & Goldson are HORRENDOUS in coverage. I'm so disappointed in DG - he's playing scared still. Brown, when in there today still looks like he's back peddling on roller skates. Good job by the d-line. We still struggled badly with the hurry-up offense and screens a little bit today. Middle of the field is still super soft - some big runs up the gut and middle open in passes all day. 6 sacks was beautiful though and today, even though at times we got carved up rather easy (prevent defense), it was an opportunistic defense - did we just have a game where Manny & Parys get a sack AND caused a TO? Great! Bly looked decent (save for the stiff arm). Spencer played a decent game but continues to big up some big gains on 3rd downs. It was great being up for a change in the 2nd half and being able to attack (6 sacks all in the 2nd half). We played much better today! Defense needs to practice catching.
jags scored 3 points with nate clements out
Willis' line today: 11 tackles (6 solo), .5 sack, 1 TFL, 4 QB Hits.

Originally posted by Schulzy:
Willis' line today: 11 tackles (6 solo), .5 sack, 1 TFL, 4 QB Hits.

That dude is in beast mode every game. Unreal. I wish we had Clements back though. He is clearly missed.