LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

Screw the offense, what happened to our supposedly great defense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Archie:
It is a combination of not enough talent and being on the field too much. We need a standout pass rusher just like the top three teams(Colts,Vikings,Saints) and we need to replace Michael Lewis because teams use formations in order to get Lewis to cover man-to-man, especially on 3rd and 5. The Packers constantly found a way to throw at Michael Lewis and we have to be honest about who's not producing and move on. Justin Smith is a good player but he doesn't sack the qb and he has a high salary so he needs to be evaluated to see if he's worth the money. The Vikings have 3 guys on the dline that may be probowl caliber and I have not seen anyone target their safeties so if you want to be in the playoffs you have to have a very good defense.

Don't you think that if Nate were healthy that Lewis would not be playing Man?

Face it we're beat up from top to bottom in the Secondary and guys that wouldn't NORMALLY have to cover are now having to do that through 4 quarters of play.

~Ceadder
Eric Berry!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr2MOiEnnF8
YEEEEAHHHHHHHH..... Finally someone said something about our team other than talking about the offense.

It's about damn time.

No one ever talks about when teams play us, how we make some of the worst teams look like the best on offense.

For all those that just blame the offense. Dont forget guys that a great team has a defense that can capitalize regularly, not every once in a while. Good defensive teams in the GB game, dont give up 2 third down conversions for an offense thats waiting to try and get one more score.

Sing rallied them together on that 3rd and long, and what happened again. FIRST DOWN.

Time off the field, yeah that is an issue, but if you stop a team all game, but give up one TD at the end of the game that lets the other team get the win. I wonder, are we still talking bout how they shut this down, or focusing on damn, if you just would of stopped that last TD.

So i say if the offensive playcalling is geared to all the players strengths, and the Defense may allow some yardage, but like we did with Indy, Keep the good QB's out the endzone, and convert when theres a stop for 3rd and long. Then we could just point to one aspect. But at a team they are failing in those key moments
Can't blame it on injuries, to Clements, or any single player. You must have quality depth at every position to survive in a long NFL season. We're not there yet. You don't put serious pressure on a QB like Rodgers and the receiving corps he has, and you get burned, big-time. We couldn't stop the run, either, especially late when we HAD to have it. Let's face it...we're not good enough yet. We have a decent DL...they're not dominant. Willis and Spikes/Wilhelm are very good ILB's. Lawson and Haralson have disappointed. Neither set the edge worth a crap vs GB, a big reason Grant rushed for 127 yds. We made him look like a Pro-Bowler. We're not good enough yet.
they are tired.
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
they are tired.

i agree brotha. tired of letting the opposing teams offense convert on important 3rd downs.

Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
they are tired.

i agree brotha. tired of letting the opposing teams offense convert on important 3rd downs.

LOL agreeing to disagree
For years, I have heard this argument that if the offense doesn't get first downs, the defense will be on the field too much and will get tired.

But think about it: if the defense was good, it would be three and out, and it wouldn't be on the field very long either. So, I am not convinced. I think our defense is on the field too mujch WHEN they are unble to stop the opponent.
Many of you already pointed it out. It's hard to play defense when you're on the field practically the entire game.

Our defense was better in the beginning of the season because we had Shaun HILL managing the game, whether you Hill haters like it or not, it's true.

Hill would at least keep moderate control over the offense, not turn the ball over, and allow the defense to rest on the sidelines.

Alex Smith goes out there, 3 and out. The defense get's to rest for what...?? 1 minute or less????

Originally posted by bigmike55:
Many of you already pointed it out. It's hard to play defense when you're on the field practically the entire game.

Our defense was better in the beginning of the season because we had Shaun HILL managing the game, whether you Hill haters like it or not, it's true.

Hill would at least keep moderate control over the offense, not turn the ball over, and allow the defense to rest on the sidelines.

Alex Smith goes out there, 3 and out. The defense get's to rest for what...?? 1 minute or less????

This is one time I'll defend Alex Smith. Whether or not it's Alex Smith out there or Shaun Hill doesn't matter because of the run philosophy. Someone can't seem to comprehend that the run, run, pass approach, more often than not is NOT going to get you anywhere ... ESPECIALLY ... when it becomes PREDICTABLE.

Bottom line is that the 49er's don't have the talent nor the BEEF up front to play the SMASH MOUTH type of football that Singletary is calling for.

So whether it's Smith out there or Hill ... it doesn't make any difference.
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Nov 24, 2009 at 3:19 PM ]
You can't have a good defense that is out on the field 23 minutes in the first half. End of discussion.
  • danielpritchard
  • Info N/A
uuuummm..maybe they would be a little better if the offense wasnt 2nd behind the raiders in 3 and outs..i noticed that stat they brought up in the game against the pack...we have like 45..also the worst 3rd down %...how do you expect a defense to last that long and to continue to be impressive if they can never get off the field
The defense has always been below average for a myriad of reasons; everything from poor talent evaluation for a 3-4 to non play-making ability to the offenses inability to install much faith.

But the fact remains that there have been many dominant defenses in this league over the years who have performed very well despite (and even won Superbowls) a subpar offense. And the reverse can be said too (see Colts of the past).

While one does affect the other and work in concert, blaming our current offense for the woeful defense is a poor argument, at best. In reality, both units stink. They have "some" talent but very little depth and only a small handful of real playmakers. We can argue all day about the TOP but in the same token, if the defense can generate 3 and outs, it gives our offense more chances and opportunities to get into a rhythm and rest the defense and score points and gain confidence - something that is critical to a growing offense.

But in the end, the defense is responsible for the defense. It's their job to get off the field. Period. This thread is about how overrated our defense is and that is quickly becoming a fact no matter how much the offense develops (or doesn't) throughout the year.

This is a defense that returned ALL of it's starters, added youth and some depth along the d-line & CB positions and has played under the same coordinator for 3 years now. The defense has ZERO excuses to be ranked 22nd. Period. They have added tons of money to wiley veterans, drafted many high draft picks and have nothing but continuity and consistency with a fixed defensive coordinator. Yet, this is a defense that doesn't even play average fundamental football, from bad angles to piss poor tackling to broken coverages to playing tentative to playing predictable schemes and being out game-planned/coached.

Turnovers anyone?

Side note: While the defense (compared to the offense) does have continuity and an actual identity (3-4), we obviously still have many square-peg/round-hole players and a poor scheme to boot, IMHO. While at the beginning of the year, people were talking top 5/10 defense, I was still saying we'd be in the 20's at best and I also said Haralson would have LESS sacks then he did last year, not more.

SO STOP BLAMING THE OFFENSE IN A DEFENSE THREAD! Otherwise we'll have to start going into offensive threads and start blaming the defense!
There is no such thing as "UNLIMITED ENERGY". You let someone pound on you long enough and you too would wilt!
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Nov 24, 2009 at 3:28 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone