LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 400 users in the forums

Screw the offense, what happened to our supposedly great defense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think they played over there heads for the first half of the season and are starting to wear down with all the time they have spent on the field and the lack of pass rush and playmaking safety(s) is starting to show. I think Manusky has done the best with he has but now the holes are starting to show in the defense and losing Nate Clements did not help.
no matter how great a defense is....if ur offense can not move the ball...eventually ur defense will break!
Originally posted by highwayone:
Well, let's see:

1/ They needed to stop the Titans on 4th down to win .... FAIL (coulda won)
2/ They needed to stop Favre on one play to win ... FAIL (shoulda won)
3/ They needed to stop Green Bay to get the ball back ... FAIL (coulda won)
4/ They needed to stop the Colts to get the ball back .... FAIL (could won)

Have a nice day

u also forgot the Texans' game too....our comeback fall short!
Shades of Mike Nolan's Defense, they start out good and then peters out.

But in their defense (no pun intended), if you're Offense is NOT contributing (as in lots of 3 and outs), your defense eventually wears out .. or gives up ... which ever comes first.

This is nothing new, we've seen this before during Mike Nolan's tenure. He started out with a very good defense, but since his offense failed to contribute .. his defense went south. Add on some injuries to your major players and the situation gets worse.

Granted that they need a couple of solid Pass Rushers, but like most would say "It's a TEAM sport". Do your part and we'll do our part. You can't give the opposition the ball 70% of the time and continually expect the defense to hold them. That's just not being realistic.
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Nov 24, 2009 at 11:20 AM ]
offensive 3 and outs is what happened to niners d!
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
I think they played over there heads for the first half of the season and are starting to wear down with all the time they have spent on the field and the lack of pass rush and playmaking safety(s) is starting to show. I think Manusky has done the best with he has but now the holes are starting to show in the defense and losing Nate Clements did not help.

yeah but nate sux!!!!!!
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Shades of Mike Nolan's Defense, they start out good and then peters out.

But in their defense (no pun intended), if you're Offense is NOT contributing (as in lots of 3 and outs), your defense eventually wears out .. or gives up ... which ever comes first.

This is nothing new, we've seen this before during Mike Nolan's tenure. He started out with a very good defense, but since his offense failed to contribute .. his defense went south. Add on some injuries to your major players and the situation gets worse.

Granted that they need a couple of solid Pass Rushers, but like most would say "It's a TEAM sport". Do your part and we'll do our part. You can't give the opposition the ball 70% of the time and continually expect the defense to hold them. That's just not being realistic.

Yeah because they wear down from being on the field so much plus lets not forgot, often times they are set up with bad field posistion.
I think overall, they have played alright. But our offense cant convert 3rd downs!!!! Our defense is on the field way too much every game.
Our offense cant convert 3rd downs and the D cant get off the field on 3rd downs
Originally posted by valrod33:
Our offense cant convert 3rd downs and the D cant get off the field on 3rd downs

Yup, our team in a nutshell. Worse is we can't convert on 3rd and inches or 4th and inches.

We are one person away from winning 4 more games. Too bad it was a different person on each play.
A few things, in my opinion.

First, Nate Clements is an important part of the defense, and his loss is not insignificant.

Second, Justin Smith does not look as fresh and explosive as earlier in the year. This should be no surprise. He is one of the smaller 3-4 DE's in the NFL, and might be wearing down.

Third, and most importantly, the pass rush from the 3-4 OLB's is almost invisible for most of each game. The back end can only work miracles for so long. Manny and Parys are not applying the pressure needed to stop the opposition's passing game.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

yeah but nate sux!!!!!!

Nate was benched in favor of Brown it was about time it happened.
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

yeah but nate sux!!!!!!

Nate was benched in favor of Brown it was about time it happened.

Yeah, but Brown plays so far off receivers, he might as well be in another time zone! Even when it's 3rd and 5, he plays 10 yards off! Baffling!!!! Where are the coaches? Where is his common sense? Where are my car keys?! I've fallen down and I can't get up!
What am starting to think is bull is Singletary & his Boot camp he held during the

offseason it seems like at the time everybody was buying into it how physical it was &

how everybody was hitting at full speed/strength & now its like it completely vanish

poor tackling miss coverages the works

i think the offense is at least trying to build upon it but the defense seems like they

just have giving up on it.

ALL THAT OFFSEASON WORK OUTS FOR NOTHING!!!!!

Share 49ersWebzone