There are 151 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Screw the offense, what happened to our supposedly great defense

• x49ersx123
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by NINERFORLIFE12:
WTF!!!! WE started out so promising, now we are ranked 22nd in the league.

Everyone is talking about our O-Line not blocking or not moving the ball or we should switch to the spread. How about our defense stop some f**ken teams and hold them to 10 points or so, and actually give our team a chance.

I know we need some changes on Offense, but defense is where it is at to help a struggling offense and we just dont got it right now,

WTF, happened!!!!!!

A lack of production from your offense wears out your defense
  • CalgaryNiner
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by TheChozen:
They're on the field too much. If they didn't have to spend the whole game on the field, then maybe they would be a little more effective when they are in.

ding ding

I'm not so sure about this. If we truly had a good defense that was just out of gas by the end of the game, we would be losing games in the 4th qtr, not by halftime.

Our defense against the Packers looked completely over matched from the first drive of the game.
Originally posted by CalgaryNiner:
They're on the field too much. If they didn't have to spend the whole game on the field, then maybe they would be a little more effective when they are in.

ding ding

I'm not so sure about this. If we truly had a good defense that was just out of gas by the end of the game, we would be losing games in the 4th qtr, not by halftime.

Our defense against the Packers looked completely over matched from the first drive of the game.

The niners need more production from the offense. And the defense still needs a top tier DE/OLB and a free safety. I don't dislike goldson or haralson but they will probably be back ups this time next year. I am predicting one of the OLB's will not be a starter next year.
The tackling is getting poor.

There are more faults on the offensive side (mainly the OLINE , there's that word again)than on the defensive side.
  • x49ersx123
  • Info N/A

ding ding

If you notice that in the first half that when we get the least amount of production from our offense.
Just like the offense it's bad personnel and scheme. the lack of pass rush is the main problem with the defense especially since Manusky rarely blitzes. His defensive is similar to what was ran in San deigo minus one big thing. the talent and players. In Sand Diego he watched them hardly ever blitz b/c there front 7 stopped the run ad created pass rush off pure talent. Merriman and Phillips just wrecked havoc. The Niners have done a great job stopping the run, but when it comes to pass rush they have nothing to show for it. Thus while relying on the front 7 to generate a pass rush that will never come he plays a lot of zone coverage. No pass rush + zone coverage ='s a lot of completions. The blitzes are so predictable that they hardly ever work. just the same inside blitz. Missing Nate really hurts. Not to mention the safety play has been below average. The Cb's play scared. They need some CB's that wanna get up and challenge WR's. Better safety play and a guy in this front 7 that can beat there man and generate pressure would more than solidfy this defense. Same problems over the last 3/4 years though. Hope it changes, and whoever's idea it was not to add any real pass rush to this team should be smacked.

this
Originally posted by Goldtimer:

ding ding

ding dong. It goes both ways, get off the field by stopping the other team. Either by forcing them to punt or by turnovers!

You can't blame the offense totally.

Teams have been successfully destroying the D with screens and TE's all year long.

There has been little or no pass rush from the LB position, even against teams with very suspect OL's.

Further, the offense was moving pretty well in the second half against GB, yet the D couldn't hold GB on their last drive in which Grant gashed the D and they ended up running out the clock. Apart from the ARIZ game, the D has choked all year long on holding teams during the last drive.

The secondary and LB positions need to get their act together.
[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Nov 24, 2009 at 8:24 AM ]
  • CalgaryNiner
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by x49ersx123:

ding ding

If you notice that in the first half that when we get the least amount of production from our offense.

I don't disagree that a good offense helps the defense. However, our defense clearly hasn't been playing at a high level lately. Our offense going 3 and out at the start of the game has nothing to do with our defense not tackling well and giving up big pass plays in the 1st quarter. If our D is gassed in the 1st quarter we have some major conditioning issues!
poor tackling ,Roman is still on the field, and Lewis is getting slower.
There are some holes in the defense but they are so way ahead of the offense in terms of performing well enough to win. There are less holes on the defense than compared to the offense.

If the niners stay in the 3-4 I am not sold on the following defenders as starters.

Soap (this guy is jekyl and hyde)
Haralson
Lawson - (I would like lawson as an olb in a 4-3, usable in a 3-4 if other guy is a dominant pass rusher)
Spikes - (age/health)
Goldson (should be nickle or dime back)
Lewis (health)
You know what happened, we played teams that have fantastic offenses(i.e. vikes, falcons, texans, pack) who are pass happy and and just flat out ate up our secondary. We have a very good run defense and good lb crew, but that secondary blows. Clements being hurt doesn't help either. Our defense was ranked 6th going into the Minnesota game and ever since than things have gone sour.
The WZ overrated them
Originally posted by fister30:
There are some holes in the defense but they are so way ahead of the offense in terms of performing well enough to win. There are less holes on the defense than compared to the offense.

If the niners stay in the 3-4 I am not sold on the following defenders as starters.

Soap (this guy is jekyl and hyde)
Haralson
Lawson - (I would like lawson as an olb in a 4-3, usable in a 3-4 if other guy is a dominant pass rusher)
Spikes - (age/health)
Goldson (should be nickle or dime back)
Lewis (health)

I agree! And I would add Manusky - scheme is usually very poor and teams counter easily esp. if they have a speedy RB and above-average TE and RB who can catch and exploit the soft middle of the field we have. CB's are also taught to not give up a big play and play 15 yards off the CB even when it's 1st and goal. Pass rush is VERY predictable and easy to adjust blocking as we show our hand before each snap (unless you consider 4 d-linemen standing straight up a "disguise"). Lawson & Haralson can NOT set the edge against physical running teams (too soft, poor angles) and esp. against speedy rushers (Tennessee, GB, etc.). Talent is weak but the scheme is even weaker IMHO.
Originally posted by x49ersx123:
Originally posted by NINERFORLIFE12:
WTF!!!! WE started out so promising, now we are ranked 22nd in the league.

Everyone is talking about our O-Line not blocking or not moving the ball or we should switch to the spread. How about our defense stop some f**ken teams and hold them to 10 points or so, and actually give our team a chance.

I know we need some changes on Offense, but defense is where it is at to help a struggling offense and we just dont got it right now,

WTF, happened!!!!!!

A lack of production from your offense wears out your defense

This is true, but another big problem for the defense is that they don't rush the passer well. They are pretty good at stopping the run (when the team is healthy), but we haven't had a good pass rush since Mooch was the coach.

Green Bay's QB and WR's are very talented. If Rodgers has time, he's gonna find his talented WR's and they are going to rack up the yards.