LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 409 users in the forums

Will Nate and Alex compete at next year's camp?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Will Nate and Alex compete at next year's camp?

Nate hasnt been getting any snaps all season because Hill has been running the scout offense. He has a lot to learn, but he did play well in preseason. I know that it is just preseason, but he didnt play bad. He looked comfortable in the pocket. What do you guys think?

P.S. I feel like if Jimmy Raye is not creative when it comes to playcalling, and it is easy for defenses to gameplan against us.
No the world will end in 2012
If the world ends in 2012, then they can compete next year. Hopefully in the UFL. Bwahahahahaha
Man I hope not look how Rodgers is flourishing after he spent some considerable time on the bench. I know I know he had Brett Favre as his teacher and mentor but I don't think Alex has had a real chance to develop into someone who could eventually be a great teacher and mentor. Also I think knowing who the QB is from the beginning of camp really helps the team become consistent. If we put Alex behind a good O-line and he still flops then put in Nate or draft another quarterback high in round one and he still sits. Until that happens or he BLOOOWS away the coaches in camp and pre-season he still sits. He looks like too good of a prospect to throw away by throwing him in. My two cents.
  • B650
  • Veteran
It's too early to say. We could draft a QB, sign a FA QB, trade for a proven QB, etc. We have to wait to see how management handles the QB situation to get a better idea of how Davis fits into our plans.
Why don't we worry about that in the off season. Alex Smith is the QB for the next 6 months (barring injury). Let's see how he does vs. crappy teams.
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Why don't we worry about that in the off season. Alex Smith is the QB for the next 6 months (barring injury). Let's see how he does vs. crappy teams.

eagles arent crappy, they just cant put it together.

I hope we go 5-1, but we will probably finish 2-4.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

I'm talking about the Rams, Seahawks, Lions, and Jags.
Not only will Nate and Alex compete, but a third QB will be thrown in the mix as well. Depending on how deep to QB pool is, we will take the best talent available with the first two picks and a QB with the third.

If the best talent available ends up being QB, I believe they will pull the trigger. The #1 rule in drafting is a) If you dont have a franchise QB, take one.

When you have three picks in the first 45 overall (estimate), you have a ton of options as to when you grab a top-rated QB. Right now, some are projecting Clausen to fall to the end of the first, or early second round. That would likely mean Locker or Bradford would go first, and Clausen who may have the best overall skills, goes third or fourth. That doesn't even include Pike, McCoy, Snead, or a number of other prospects.

What a great draft!
i was hoping nate would be elevated to #2 this season just for the practice snaps.

No. His "goal" was just to try to learn the offense, which was watered down for him, this season.

He'd be barely functional if he played next year. He won't be ready until Year Three.
It depends how the rest of the season goes. If Alex is allowed to run the spread, I feel he'll be the starter. If not, the heat is on.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

I'm talking about the Rams, Seahawks, Lions, and Jags.

Jags are not a crappy team
[ Edited by solidg2000 on Nov 24, 2009 at 8:18 AM ]
They will compete if Nate forces this by playing well in practice and next year's preseason. Even if the niners use a high round draft choice its up to nate to force the coaching staff to play him.
Originally posted by fister30:
They will compete if Nate forces this by playing well in practice and next year's preseason. Even if the niners use a high round draft choice its up to nate to force the coaching staff to play him.

i just hope the hard headed coaching staff are even giving him a chance to show what he's got. From the sounds of it, he's not even getting practice snaps right now.
Share 49ersWebzone