There are 145 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Dwight Hicks SF Chron live: if the other team doesn't score, you can't lose

paraphrasing:
He just said he's more concerned with the D than the O. I thought this should get its own thread because it's his opinion, he said, he was a former 49er and played defense and knows what's up. I know Mad Dog has a topic about the D already, but this is different because this is Dwight Hicks and what he thinks. He also said that you can do a lot of stuff out of a spread offense even if your OL can't run block well or you don't have a great back, because he said you can use the short passes like a long hand off for 5-6 yard gains and he said that's what Walsh did. He said that Singletary might be fighting the spread but you can chew the clock out of it like that, or you can run better out of it because the whole D is spread out. He said he doesn't blame Smith because he's had to learn 5 different systems, and he said that would be hard for most veteran QBs let alone a young QB. He said it's up to the defense to stop other teams because we're a young offense basically.


He also said that when he saw Lott and the other young secondaries in 81, he could tell the d was going to be that much better. He said it was because they were more athletic and more aggressive than other guys, and he could see the talent.

There's a bunch of topics about this stuff, but they're all spread out and he's a former 49ers and this is what he thinks so...
So basically he's saying Lawson, Haralson, Goldson, and Roman all suck.

I agree.
Originally posted by znk916:
So basically he's saying Lawson, Haralson, Goldson, and Roman all suck.

I agree.

I'd say everyone on our defense sucked. Not even Willis gets a pass for the horrible play. They hit Rodgers like 3 times all game, when he's the most sacked QB in the league. COME ON NOW GUYS. f**k.
what if the 49ers don't score?
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
what if the 49ers don't score?

Then it's a tie lol.
Manny and Parys suck at rushing the QB.

Just like how we thought Morgan was good and then we saw Crabtree, what a good WR really looks like.

Believe me, when a real pass rusher comes on this team, Manny and Parys will look like girls. We highly over rate our players.
  • B650
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,205
Well, he played defense. I'm sure Steve Young or an offensive guy would say, "Well, even if they don't score, you still have to put up at least a field goal."

You can't blame the defense. The 49ers being 4-6 is a total team failure.
Originally posted by B650:
Well, he played defense. I'm sure Steve Young or an offensive guy would say, "Well, even if they don't score, you still have to put up at least a field goal."

You can't blame the defense. The 49ers being 4-6 is a total team failure.

Agreed. This is on the WHOLE team. Offense, Defense, Special Teams, Coaching, everyone
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Our defense stunk it up big at Green Bay. Missed tackles, bad pass coverage, no rush, no passing defense.

Ryan Grant got over 100 yards rushing against us. Ryan Grant!

The D also let us down in the 4th quarter. GB got the ball back with 5:50 left. We needed one more stop to get the ball back and give the offense a chance to get another TD for us. GB runs it down our throats.

We needed one stop in the 4th quarter at Indy to give our offense a chance to go ahead for the score and they didn't do it.

We needed one stop in Minnesota to keep Favre from throwing a miracle TD pass and we couldn't do it. Instead we let Minnesota march 80 yards on us.

It's more fun to blame the offense, but the defense hasn't been doing it's job either. It wasn't the offense that let us get down by 20 points in the first half and who couldn't get us the ball back with almost 6 min left.

There's lots of blame to go around for this loss people.
Dwight Hicks was a great DB. Wish we had him and that secondary today: Hicks, Lott, Wright, Williamson. All 4 made the Pro Bowl in '84. Best secondary the Niners EVER had, including the '94 group.
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
what if the 49ers don't score?

Seeing the offense scores each game and did so last game to get 24 points I don't think that is happening.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Manny and Parys suck at rushing the QB.

Just like how we thought Morgan was good and then we saw Crabtree, what a good WR really looks like.

Believe me, when a real pass rusher comes on this team, Manny and Parys will look like girls. We highly over rate our players.

That's are job as crazy fans!
We need to get better as an entire team!
Originally posted by smileyman:
Our defense stunk it up big at Green Bay. Missed tackles, bad pass coverage, no rush, no passing defense.

Ryan Grant got over 100 yards rushing against us. Ryan Grant!

The D also let us down in the 4th quarter. GB got the ball back with 5:50 left. We needed one more stop to get the ball back and give the offense a chance to get another TD for us. GB runs it down our throats.

We needed one stop in the 4th quarter at Indy to give our offense a chance to go ahead for the score and they didn't do it.

We needed one stop in Minnesota to keep Favre from throwing a miracle TD pass and we couldn't do it. Instead we let Minnesota march 80 yards on us.

It's more fun to blame the offense, but the defense hasn't been doing it's job either. It wasn't the offense that let us get down by 20 points in the first half and who couldn't get us the ball back with almost 6 min left.

There's lots of blame to go around for this loss people.

This...
  • TFSP
  • Member
  • Posts: 315
Originally posted by Joecool:
Manny and Parys suck at rushing the QB.

Just like how we thought Morgan was good and then we saw Crabtree, what a good WR really looks like.

Believe me, when a real pass rusher comes on this team, Manny and Parys will look like girls. We highly over rate our players.

Agreed.