LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

QB Alex Smith Discusses the Spread Offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by BHulman:
Alex is definitely improving. I think Singletary and our coaches will have him be our starting QB for the 2010 season. For once, I would like to see us go into an off-season and not have to deal with another QB competition. Give one QB all of the reps. Let's build more continuity!

If that happens, do they try to promote Davis to the #2 next year? If this offense continues to evolve towards a spread it seems as if it won't be a good fit for Hill.

I don't see them promoting Davis to the #2. I do see them cutting Hill and picking up a vet FA

+ 1

I think that they will give Davis a shot to earn #2, and grab a vet just in case.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Alex is definitely improving. I think Singletary and our coaches will have him be our starting QB for the 2010 season. For once, I would like to see us go into an off-season and not have to deal with another QB competition. Give one QB all of the reps. Let's build more continuity!

If that happens, do they try to promote Davis to the #2 next year? If this offense continues to evolve towards a spread it seems as if it won't be a good fit for Hill.

I don't see them promoting Davis to the #2. I do see them cutting Hill and picking up a vet FA

+ 1

I think that they will give Davis a shot to earn #2, and grab a vet just in case.

If they allow Davis to compete for the #2 spot it will be against the FA pick up
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

+ 1

If they allow Davis to compete for the #2 spot it will be against the FA pick up

Agree.
On the NFL Network recap, somone said, about Alex's 2nd TD in the Jaguars game:

He was looking for Dwight Clark.

I know it was in a lighter vein & no where was Alex in the same pressure situation as Montana, but that was a great read and a smart throw by Alex.
We obviously need to see a lot more from Alex before this season is over. The good part is that he seems to be improving vs deteriorating further.
What happened to Jason Hill? JAX actually spread the ball to more receivers than we did.

Most likely, getting more receivers involved would be the next phase of this offense as Raye creates more plays for it. Kudos to Raye, fellas. It ain't easy to start a new playbook in the middle of the season and transform current plays to shotgun.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
What happened to Jason Hill? JAX actually spread the ball to more receivers than we did.

Most likely, getting more receivers involved would be the next phase of this offense as Raye creates more plays for it. Kudos to Raye, fellas. It ain't easy to start a new playbook in the middle of the season and transform current plays to shotgun.

I really enjoyed his playcalling from what I saw on Sunday. This guy showed cajones grandes. That 4th and 1 bomb to VD?? That was a HELLUVA play call.

I don't wanna get excited but if Raye calls games like this we might hit our stride.
Originally posted by Antix:

I really enjoyed his playcalling from what I saw on Sunday. This guy showed cajones grandes. That 4th and 1 bomb to VD?? That was a HELLUVA play call.

I don't wanna get excited but if Raye calls games like this we might hit our stride.

It would sure be a bonus if the Niners don't have to go into a season with a new offensive coordinator yet again.

It would sure be a bonus if the Niners don't have to go into a season with a new offensive coordinator yet again.

What was nice to see is that we rarely ran twice in a row and when we really needed it, to seal the game, Gore and the Line pulled through.

What was nice to see is that we rarely ran twice in a row and when we really needed it, to seal the game, Gore and the Line pulled through.

True. The line had one of their better days this year. I hope they continue that play against the Seachickens
I like Matt Barrows but his article on what to call the new offense kind of ticked me off. I thought us fans agreed on "The Spread coast offense." Am I wrong?

Originally posted by insanemike27:
I like Matt Barrows but his article on what to call the new offense kind of ticked me off. I thought us fans agreed on "The Spread coast offense." Am I wrong?

I like Raye Gun...Spread Coast? Spread doesn't exactly rhyme with West.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
How about Anti-Jim Hostler?
Share 49ersWebzone