LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

The Nolan Effect

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 49erfreak
  • Info N/A
Does anyone else see some similarities between the Broncos this year and the Niners when Nolan was the head coach? It just seems like every year we'd start out really strong and be a surprise pick, then by midseason everything would fall apart. It seems to be happening again this year, but interestingly enough it seems like it's happening to the Broncs too. Thoughts?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4683034
It's happening to us too if you noticed.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

That's what I was thinking.
I don't understand why Sing hasn't changed things on offense?!?For 3 1/2 years, he sat on the sideline and watched Nolan kill our defense by having a non-existent offense. He seems smart enough to realize this is the exact thing that has killed our team. By the end of the game, our D can't stop anybody cuz they've been on the field the whole damn game.

The Nolan effect has a strong grip on this team still!
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erfreak:
Does anyone else see some similarities between the Broncos this year and the Niners when Nolan was the head coach? It just seems like every year we'd start out really strong and be a surprise pick, then by midseason everything would fall apart. It seems to be happening again this year, but interestingly enough it seems like it's happening to the Broncs too. Thoughts?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4683034

The 49ers didn't "start out really strong" under Nolan by any meaningful, measurable scale. In 2005, they started 1-5, though they did win the first game of the year. In 2006, they started 1-3 and 2-5 before finishing 5-2. In 2007, they did start 2-0 though if you watched those games, they were hardly convincing victories. They then lost 8 in a row. Last year, they were 2-1 before losing 6 in a row. If anything, they tended more to finish well at the end of the year.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Well Nolan hired all these guys.
The ghost of mike nolan is still among us
Originally posted by TheChozen:
I don't understand why Sing hasn't changed things on offense?!?For 3 1/2 years, he sat on the sideline and watched Nolan kill our defense by having a non-existent offense. He seems smart enough to realize this is the exact thing that has killed our team. By the end of the game, our D can't stop anybody cuz they've been on the field the whole damn game.

Nolan is his coaching mentor he might have been sitting there thinking like Nolan that this will work.
Originally posted by lamontb:

Nolan is his coaching mentor he might have been sitting there thinking like Nolan that this will work.

yeah it's getting pretty tiring hearing Sing say "we can't just switch to a spread". WHY THE f**k NOT SING? We can do it when we are behind by 20 but can't do it 75% of the time when we are ahead?

Well, he obviously wasn't WATCHING the games, so maybe he was deep in thought. Just heard the MNF crew say that the Titans OC has changed the offense to suit Vince Young. Must be nice to have coaches that play to your players' strengths.

• B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by matt49er:

yeah it's getting pretty tiring hearing Sing say "we can't just switch to a spread". WHY THE f**k NOT SING? We can do it when we are behind by 20 but can't do it 75% of the time when we are ahead?

We can, but he just doesn't believe in that. He wants to pound the ball with Gore, even if it doesn't work. Didn't Raye say something like it isn't about quality, it's about quantity? That tells you all you need to know.

Well, the Nolan offense not working was more an effect of players being too young and not having capable receivers. I was one of Nolan's biggest bashers, but he did do everything he could to try to fix the offense. Unfortunately his GM skills were not up to the task. But at least he brought in coordinators and tried opening the thing up. If we had Martz still he would have blended in perfectly with what we need. Sing is dumbing the offense down and is most likely reigning Raye in. One of Raye's strengths when he was hired was his track record for maximizing his best players.

I know first hand how it is to be handcuffed by an archaic head coach who gets mad anytime you open things up regardless of whether it works or not and it isn't any fun. I don't want them to go exclusively spread as don't won't work either. I want them to find a balance and take what the defense gives them, instead of trying to bend the defense to what they want.
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

That's what I was thinking.

hey....... i was thinking the same toooooo
Originally posted by 49erfoeva:
The ghost of mike nolan is still among us

We need an exorcism.
Out of all the boneheaded moves the Yorks have made in their 10 years, keeping Nolan after the '07 season was by far the dumbest. And now here we are almost 2 years later stuck with the clowns in his coaching staff and with the same results. That's what you get when you have an ownership with its head way up its ass.
Share 49ersWebzone