There are 122 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

ALL Generation of 49er Fans(I wanna Cry)

Originally posted by dtmoney49er:
I have heard and seen films of the great history and dynasty we used to have. I am 20 years old, and i came to the united stated (Oakland) when i was 10 and fell in love with football and the 49ers. For the past 9-10 years i have witness nothing but madness, and tearfull disappointing seasons, but every year i keep telling my self that my generation will witness more of the 49er glory days. Every draft day and Pre-season i get butterflies just knowing we have another oppurtunity to get in the super bowl or a Playoff game. Some times i wonder if i will be able to take my future kids out to a game and tell them about my 49er Glory days. I feel bad for us young Fans who haven't witness glory.

Hey young son, I have been following the 49er's since 1954 (yes, you read that right). I am an OLD man, probably older than 98% of the folks who come here.

I've been through the good and the bad times with the niners from the Y.A. Tittle days and the Kesar Stadium to present. Between 1954 to 1970, we went to ONE conference championship 1957 (some refer to it as the Superbowl) and lost it 31-27 to the Detroit Lions.

Then we hit a dry spell until 1970 when a coach by the name of Dick Nolan took us to 2 consecutive conference championships and a divisional playoff.

From 1972 to 1980 were another dry spell until Mr. Bill Walsh finally took us all the way to the Superbowl and the team of the 80's was born.

Yes, young man ... there IS light on the other side of the tunnel. Keep your faith and things will eventually work out.

The team is NOT that far off and there has been progress in the past couple of years. With the addition of Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree and Josh Morgan. All they need now is a reliable QB, a good Fullback and a couple of dependable guards. The defense is NOT as bad as some would have you think, other than they need a couple of good pass rushers.

My only pet peeve right now is the dog determination to play smash mouth when they don't have the beef and the talent to do so. They do need to open it up inspite of them being afraid of their QB's. They'll never know what they have unless they do.

BTW: I too came from another country.
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Nov 23, 2009 at 4:13 PM ]
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
I have heard and seen films of the great history and dynasty we used to have. I am 20 years old, and i came to the united stated (Oakland) when i was 10 and fell in love with football and the 49ers. For the past 9-10 years i have witness nothing but madness, and tearfull disappointing seasons, but every year i keep telling my self that my generation will witness more of the 49er glory days. Every draft day and Pre-season i get butterflies just knowing we have another oppurtunity to get in the super bowl or a Playoff game. Some times i wonder if i will be able to take my future kids out to a game and tell them about my 49er Glory days. I feel bad for us young Fans who haven't witness glory.

Hey young son, I have been following the 49er's since 1954 (yes, you read that right). I am an OLD man, probably older than 98% of the folks who come here.

I've been through the good and the bad times with the niners from the Y.A. Tittle days and the Kesar Stadium to present. Between 1954 to 1970, we went to ONE conference championship 1957 (some refer to it as the Superbowl) and lost it 31-27 to the Detroit Lions.

Then we hit a dry spell until 1970 when a coach by the name of Dick Nolan took us to 2 consecutive conference championships and a divisional playoff.

So from 1972 to 1980 were another dry spell until Mr. Bill Walsh finally took us all the way to the Superbowl and the team of the 80's was born.

Yes, young man ... there IS light on the other side of the tunnel. Keep your faith and things will eventually work out.

The team is NOT that far off and there has been progress in the past couple of years. With the addition of Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree and Josh Morgan. All they need now is a reliable QB, a good Fullback and a couple of dependable guards. The defense is NOT as bad as some would have you think, other than they need a couple of good pass rushers.

My only pet peeve right now is the dog determination to play smash mouth when they don't have the beef and the talent to do so. They do need to open it up inspite of them being afraid of their QB's. They'll never know what they have unless they do.

Wow your old, and you know how to use the computer.
  • BigRon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:

So from 1972 to 1980 were another dry spell until Mr. Bill Walsh finally took us all the way to the Superbowl and the team of the 80's was born.

Are you kidding, Kauai and I dictate to our grandkids

YUP, I'm ole GRANPA-PUTER and I've been building them since 1981! I drive my wife crazy because I have a working computer that has NO cover and the Hard Drives and DVD Drives are outside. LOL! Makes it easier to replace parts and keep the puter cooler!

YUP, I'm ole GRANPA-PUTER and I've been building them since 1981! I drive my wife crazy because I have a working computer that has NO cover and the Hard Drives and DVD Drives are outside. LOL! Makes it easier to replace parts and keep the puter cooler!

Thats cool man, Im just messing with you. Its good have some guys on here who have been fans for a long time. I started watching in the 80s, so maybe Im kinda spoiled. Its good to get the perceptive of long time fans.
Go and watch the Browns for a while. You'll feel a lot better.
Originally posted by BigRon:

Are you kidding, Kauai and I dictate to our grandkids

LOL Ron, I figured you'd chime in here! Even my grandkids are GROWED up (as they say in the South!). Well OK, they're in their teens.
  • BigRon
  • Veteran
I have been following the team for a couple of weeks now. Participated in Two training camps. We have had tough times before and came thru it. The time from 81-97 have to be considered the Golden Years for the team. Prior to that with the exception of 57, 70,71,72 we hadn't done too well. Heck for a period of 8 years, The Rams pwned us.

We are on the verge of becoming a quality team. We are short a couple of Olineman and dominant pass rusher and a FB. I am an Alex fan but even I think we may need to start looking at Davis if we lose this coming Sunday.

Coaching needs to turn up the heat on these guys and a couple of coaches need to be gone. I am not of the opinion that either of those are Raye and Singletary but position coaches that have failed.

We are closer than some realize. We just aren't there yet. When will we get there, Maybe next year or the year after. Depends on personnel and consistency in the philosophy and communication. We can't afford to think that by just changing the coaches we will move forward.
I've never seen a winning season as a tech nines fan
  • kem99
  • Veteran

VETERANS and OG's please give us words of advice.
mods, please don't lock me.

Prior to the Walsh/Montana/Seifert/Young 1981-1998 era, the 49ers were not one of the league's model franchises and had never won a SB. It was a stretch that may never be repeated in extended excellence.

Remember, the Steelers went over 20 years without winning a SB after winning their 4th in 1979.

The Raiders had their third SB as of 1983 and are now, well, the Raiders.

The Bills "glory days" were going to 4 straight SB's and losing every one of them.

The Eagles went to 4 straight NFC Championship games and 1 SB and have not won a championship.

The Packers have only won 1 SB after winning the first two and for all of the talk about Favre, he's only won 1 SB to date.

The Falcons have never even had back to back winning seasons.

The Lions have not won a playoff game in what seems like forever.

The Cowboys have not won a playoff game since the 90's.

The Broncos lost 4 SBs before winning 2 back to back and then have not been close since Elway retired.

The Dolphins had Dan Marino for his entire career and only got to 1 SB and lost it.

There are a lot more examples but the point is the NFL goes in cycles. The 49ers were due for this type of down cycle. Will there be another extended up cycle, we can all hope but a lot of it is luck. For example, what if someone had drafted Brady ahead of the Patriots in Round 6? What if Eddie D had fired Walsh after his initial 2-14 season?

Its not that bad. You can still enjoy NFL football even if the 49ers are not where you would like them to be.
Sad was the New Orleans Saints who went from 1967 to 1987 before making any kind of playoffs. That's 20 YEARS! They were the joke of the NFL and there was a time when you saw a lot of their fans wearing Brown Paper Bags over their heads in the stands.

1987 through 1992 were fairly good years for the Saints under the helm of Jim Mora who took them to several Wild Card playoffs but never went any further than that.

From there they flip flopped from being bad to mediocre until 2006 when Sean Peyton finally took over. The rest is history. Look at them today!

In 1999 Mike Ditka who was their coach did the stupidest thing: Mike Ditka traded all of the Saints' 1999 draft picks to get Ricky Williams, as well as a 1st and 3rd pick the following year. Finished the year with a 3-13 record and promptly got his butt fired!
you sissy
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
sorry bro, you're f**ked.

lol

• smileyman
  • Info N/A
The mid to late 70s was a bad time for us. Something like 5 head coaches in as many years, losing records, new GMs etc., etc. Then we hired Bill Walsh. 2-14 his first year. 6-10 his second year, Super Bowl victory his third.

I'm not saying that Sing is the next Bill Walsh, but this team is vastly improved over last year's. We're playing games close that would've been blowouts before (Packers, Vikings, Colts).

At the beginning of the season I said we would go 10-6 at best, but more likely 9-7. That's still a very real possibility--other than the Eagles (and it depends on which Eagles team shows up) the rest of the games are very winnable for us.

9-7 would be our first winning season since 2002. I'll be happy with that. Sad as it is a 9-7 record may be good enough to win the NFC West (depending on what AZ does with the rest of their games).

There is still hope.