LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 363 users in the forums

What's the main reason why the niners are losing?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What's the main reason why the niners are losing?

Honestly, I think it boils down to two things 1. The offensive line not giving Alex Smith alot of time and 2. The overall coaching preperation, paticularly on offense. I think we all know this... The niners are just looking out coached at times... cough... cough Atlanta and Green Bay!

Jimmy Raye's play calling (along with Singletary's approval) is very vanilla, conservative and predictable at times. That will work against a few bad teams, but that won't work against playoff caliber teams. Also, where are the fake audibles and the authentic audibles?

Overall niners should give strong consideration to bringing on board two stud o-lineman. At this point I wouldn't even mind if they used both there first rounders on two o-lineman. And usually, I'm against that.

If you want to play smash mouth football then you better get a good line otherwise... you gotta play finesse.
[ Edited by mustangmele on Nov 23, 2009 at 1:44 PM ]
Originally posted by mustangmele:
Honestly, I think it boils down to two things 1. The offensive line not giving Alex Smith alot of time and 2. The overall coaching preperation, paticularly on offense. I think we all know this... The niners are just looking outcoached at times... cough... cough Atlanta and Green Bay!

Jimmy Raye's play calling (along with Singletary's approval) is very vanilla, conservative and predictable at times. That will work against a few bad teams, but that won't work against playoff caliber teams. Also, where are the fake audibles and the authentic audibles?

Overall niners should give strong consideration to bringing on board two stud o-lineman. At this point I wouldn't even mind if they used both there first rounders on two o-lineman. And usually, I'm against that.

If you want to play smash mouth football then you better get a goodline otherwise... you gotta play finesse.

Where is the option for the D not being able to get off the field on third and long over and over and over again?
It is a top down problem, named Singletary!
The inability to use the strengths of your team instead of forcing a type of offense in which we don't have the personnel to run.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Honestly, I think it boils down to two things 1. The offensive line not giving Alex Smith alot of time and 2. The overall coaching preperation, paticularly on offense. I think we all know this... The niners are just looking outcoached at times... cough... cough Atlanta and Green Bay!

If you want to play smash mouth football then you better get a goodline otherwise... you gotta play finesse.

Where is the option for the D not being able to get off the field on third and long over and over and over again?

I didn't put it on because I think the majority knows that's not where the problem lies. But you have the right to your opinion... so I put it on for ya
down 21-0 after a bye week to the titans, down 23-3 after a 10 day rest to the packers, its the coaching more than any of the others. This smash mouth philosophy doesn't work in this pass happy modern day of football.
100% on the coaches and the lack of ability to create an effective game plan and get the team prepared for the game on Sunday. The team has come out and looked lost on more than one occassion.
Originally posted by backontop:
100% on the coaches and the lack of ability to create an effective game plan and get the team prepared for the game on Sunday. The team has come out and looked lost on more than one occassion.

I totally agree. This team has the talent, I just don't think the coaching is there to better these guys.
Originally posted by backontop:

I totally agree. This team has the talent, I just don't think the coaching is there to better these guys.

On two seperate occassions they have had 9+days to prepare the team for a game. And on both occassions they looked more lost than ever.
it's obvious it's the o-line, qb, weak d-line soft db's. But that comes from a bad GM who obviously has bad scouts because we've passed up great talent these last 2 drafts. it's a joke

Originally posted by wailers15:
it's obvious it's the o-line, qb, weak d-line soft db's. But that comes from a bad GM who obviously has bad scouts because we've passed up great talent these last 2 drafts. it's a joke

When Smith has time when has he proven to be the problem???
Originally posted by Gavintech:

I didn't put it on because I think the majority knows that's not where the problem lies. But you have the right to your opinion... so I put it on for ya

Well I already voted offensive line! =D

But yesterday's loss was easily because of the D not making plays and allowing the GB offense to get 1st downs consistently, even when they were 3rd and long.

There were too many 3rd and 5 or longer situations where the D allowed them to stay on the field on drives that ended up leading to points. One was the play right before the Jennings 64 yard TD. If the D gets off the field that play never happens and we probably have decent field position after the punt. GB converted a 3rd and 11 early in the drive that ended up with the Nelson TD. They were basically making 1st downs at will for most of the game.
Originally posted by wailers15:

my feelings on that is though... that 30 other teams past up good players. Yes, there is a science to drafting a player, but no GM has control over a players future. Remember, Scotty has drafted and brought in Willis, Staley, Crabtree, Gore (?), Goldson and a few others... I feel he's done a decent job... but I can understand where you're coming from too. That Balmer pick still irratates me...
  • da209
  • Veteran
weak o-line, no pass rush! and the play calling on 0ffense.
Originally posted by da209:
weak o-line, no pass rush! and the play calling on 0ffense.

add to that the inability for the defense to stop any offense on 3rd down and you have the complete recipe for our failure
Share 49ersWebzone