Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Coach Singletary: A Thorough Discussion of Why He Lost Me Today

Originally posted by TFSP:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
So if Sing goes 7-9, 8-8, and NO playoffs, he's supposed to be fired your saying? You mentioned Scott MC, well, what GMs took a trash ass team like the 2004 roster, and brought them to the playoffs in 5 years. Who can you compare to what that track record looks like?

Just asking...

Tony Sporano's Dolphins, (who didn't have a qb or an OL), Andy Reid's Eagles (I lived in Philly at the time), Lovie Smith's Bears - those are just teams off the top of my head.

Those teams, and this years talent is the same, your saying?

No, not the existing teams. You asked the question:

Well, what GMs took a trash ass team like the 2004 roster, and brought them to the playoffs in 5 years. Who can you compare to what that track record looks like?

And I answered it if you compare when all those coaches intiially ARRIVED at those teams they looked similar to the 49ers of 2004; Tony Sporano's Dolphins, (who didn't have a qb or an OL), Andy Reid's Eagles (I lived in Philly at the time), Lovie Smith's Bears.

All had QB issues. All had WR issues. All had DL issues. All had issues with their secondary and all were bottom-feeding teams and perennial play-off no-shows except for a couple of times (Eagles under Kotite). They were turned around in 5 seasons - some less than that.

No. None of those teams had talent issues, coaching issues, injury issues, like our 2004 team and on. I will just throw some names out there...Ken Dorsey, Terry Donahue, Rashun Woods(don't care about the spelling of these trash dudes)...etc...

Our first step towards success was 2006. Then look back at what happened since then. Our last playoff coach inherited a talented team. WE WERE A EXPANSION TEAM IN 2004. I KNOW YOU DON'T WANT TO REMEMBER THAT PAIN AS A FAN, BUT ITS TRUE.

Dude you're absolutely wrong on that. The Philadelphia Eagles didn't have talent issues? Miami? Do you even know who were on those teams? LOL. Everyone thinks the 49ers were the only team to have dark days and busts and in such a sorry state. No, we're not and no we weren't the worst. Yes, I remember Woods, Dorsey and Donahue but other fans remember Ritchie Kotite, Jay Fiedler. The 2007 Dolphins went 1 - 15. 2006, the were 6-10. Please. The team was so bad the coach RESIGNED, not fired. Neither mark has never happened in San Francisco. So please don't tell me how other teams haven't been bad as this one has in the past.

More importantly, Huzeinga hired the right man for the job and they got turned around in 2 seasons.

DOH!

Stop believing everything your hear on Ninertalk and read stuff for yourself outside of 49ers.com. I'm a 49er fan, but more than that, I'm a fan of the game.
[ Edited by NinerGM on Nov 24, 2009 at 2:21 PM ]
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
ill hold my input until the season is over.

+1

If Sing can let his pride go then he will be a great coach, if he cannot he will fail.
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
ill hold my input until the season is over.

+1

If Sing can let his pride go then he will be a great coach, if he cannot he will fail.

The number of negative posts/threads (incl mine) have jumped up in the last week or so. I hope Singletary is aware of what's brewing outside of the 49ers office and does whatever necc to get this thing turned around (salvage what's left). If he can't, then he was never a worthy HC to begin with.
Well s**t imma go out on a limb and say im glad he joins an elite group of men in Head African American coaches. And no this aint a race card reply. Most starting HC's get at least one full year. Which i why i say he will be back.

and no one talked about it, but two things i DID like when he said the following, and sorry if i dont get it right word for word.

1. The story about the kid that hits you in the mouth. In a way we are like that kid. We play teams that the league says are great, and when they play against us, we make them look great. Thats fact, dont think soo, look at the our defense when they literally played the WORST (proven) o-line in the league. The Qb had his best career half. On good teams when the offense sucks the defense picks it up, and vice versa. So even tho he didnt call out a player, a coach, or other staffer, he was being real.

2. He said and i quote, I dont care if we throw it 100 times a game i really dont. I'd rather run, but wont mind throwing 100 times if thats the team we have.
However, i'm not gonna say lets just go spread offense, have alex throw it 40-50 times a game, and then out of all them throws, u know there will be some INT's.

He's being real again, especially when he gave the reporter an example of if all through TC, OTC, Pre-season, 100 times a day we are showing him to hand off, hand off, handoff. He's gonna be more comfortable in that position. But for alex to just come in mid season. executing an offense that was catered to go one way all season, then just make these changes, do you understand that that QB has to throw that same pass 1000 times before he's confident in that WR, and Vice Versa. They have to get that timing down, the right reads. So it will take time.

Overall, i just say give the guy a break, if any of us were HC, s**t, Ronald Mcdonald would probably be our QB, cause we aint ever happy even when s**t is lookin up. We win, we pick out the negatives of this or that, we lose, and do the same thing. How about we support the team and stop all the personal hate.
When you wrote "Jed needs to talk to his uncle" it reminded me of how pathetic this organization is from the very top on down.
The risks of hiring a defensive-minded coach are enough...but to do so and not get a top OC to run the offense is criminal. That's what's happened...a head coach who doesn't get 21st century offense and an OC who's stuck in the 70's/80's. It's a recipe for disaster. So, I agree, unless Singletary does an about face and makes the changes necessary to take advantage of a QB who CAN get the ball downfield to the strength of his offense, the receiving corps, then he must go. Also agree the GM and VP need to go, too. Bring in Holmgren to be the GM, and hire an experienced head coach. Rookie head coaches can sometimes work on talented teams where they have top OC's and DC's, but that's not our situation. Not at all...
What the heck is smashmouth football? We are not doing it. Smashmouth too me is putting up points no matter how, running, passing, special teams, defense. Smashmouth is going all out to beat your opponent.
I listened to Coach Mike actually say that in the later part of the season the QB will be wrong more often then not cause defenses adjust closer to the playoffs.

That's his explanation why he doesn't subscribe to the league wide trend to pass.

Are you freaking kidding me?
  • TFSP
So if Sing goes 7-9, 8-8, and NO playoffs, he's supposed to be fired your saying? You mentioned Scott MC, well, what GMs took a trash ass team like the 2004 roster, and brought them to the playoffs in 5 years. Who can you compare to what that track record looks like?

Just asking...

Tony Sporano's Dolphins, (who didn't have a qb or an OL), Andy Reid's Eagles (I lived in Philly at the time), Lovie Smith's Bears - those are just teams off the top of my head.

Well, what GMs took a trash ass team like the 2004 roster, and brought them to the playoffs in 5 years. Who can you compare to what that track record looks like?

And I answered it if you compare when all those coaches intiially ARRIVED at those teams they looked similar to the 49ers of 2004; Tony Sporano's Dolphins, (who didn't have a qb or an OL), Andy Reid's Eagles (I lived in Philly at the time), Lovie Smith's Bears.

All had QB issues. All had WR issues. All had DL issues. All had issues with their secondary and all were bottom-feeding teams and perennial play-off no-shows except for a couple of times (Eagles under Kotite). They were turned around in 5 seasons - some less than that.

No. None of those teams had talent issues, coaching issues, injury issues, like our 2004 team and on. I will just throw some names out there...Ken Dorsey, Terry Donahue, Rashun Woods(don't care about the spelling of these trash dudes)...etc...

Our first step towards success was 2006. Then look back at what happened since then. Our last playoff coach inherited a talented team. WE WERE A EXPANSION TEAM IN 2004. I KNOW YOU DON'T WANT TO REMEMBER THAT PAIN AS A FAN, BUT ITS TRUE.

Dude you're absolutely wrong on that. The Philadelphia Eagles didn't have talent issues? Miami? Do you even know who were on those teams? LOL. Everyone thinks the 49ers were the only team to have dark days and busts and in such a sorry state. No, we're not and no we weren't the worst. Yes, I remember Woods, Dorsey and Donahue but other fans remember Ritchie Kotite, Jay Fiedler. The 2007 Dolphins went 1 - 15. 2006, the were 6-10. Please. The team was so bad the coach RESIGNED, not fired. Neither mark has never happened in San Francisco. So please don't tell me how other teams haven't been bad as this one has in the past.

More importantly, Huzeinga hired the right man for the job and they got turned around in 2 seasons.

DOH!

Stop believing everything your hear on Ninertalk and read stuff for yourself outside of 49ers.com. I'm a 49er fan, but more than that, I'm a fan of the game.

Actually, I really don't look at 49ers.com for my updates on the team. I may look at it to look at the videos that the players do.

Now, you claim your a fan of football. That's great. BUT, I could care less what you say, WE WERE A TERRIBLE TEAM IN THE LEAGUE IN 2004. From management on down. Many of the players of the 04, and 05 teams, are not even playing in the league NOW.

To bring up Philly is pointless. Miami must have had talent to do a 180 degree turn with their record the way they did in the NFL(so what are you talking about?). About Miami, they had management issues. They did have talent...Miami wasn't a EXPANSION TEAM IN 06', and 07'. Again pointless comparisons...dude!
Corva, i was with you right up until the time when you said "bring in Holmgren" as GM. As good an OC and HC as he was, he was relieved of his GM duties, because the guy just couldn't build a team. He won with what he had, and when that talent got old, he did a lousy job in replacing it, hence the firing. I agree he would be a great OC, but as for GM, unh-uh. Shanny is another great OC, but he also had trouble rebuilding once his guys got old. I don't know that he wouldn't be a good GM, but i do know his strengths lie in OC and HC. Gruden also could probably be considered the same, altho i will have to admit i don't recall much about any GMing he did. He took a talented Bucs team to the SB and won. But i don't remember him building any powerhouse teams. Note, all these guys are former 49ers coaches at one time or another.

I am hoping we include everyone in our next GM, HC, OC, DC search. Look at the former OCs who have excelled recently: sean payton, josh mcdaniel, to name but two. There are good HCs and OCs out there...we just need somebody with knowledge and connections to get them. Right now, NinerGM is dead on...we need to clean house.
There have been two games this year that by half time we were getting trounced, where we looked inept, unprepared, and listless.

In my mind this is unacceptable in any season for any reason, but it is has to send up a huge bright red flag when it happens both times after bye weeks (although this latest romp was only a semi-bye week).

The coaches had more time than their counterparts to scheme, gameplan, and practice. In other words they should have been more prepared, looked more competent, and been more effective. I mean 5 fricken yards passing in the first half...I may not believe Alex Smith is great, but he is at least average if not better, and any average QB on any offense is going to produce more than 5 yards passing in a half of football. That kind of lopsidedness occurs because our coaches were outschemed.

Is it because Raye is inept? Is it a result of being stubborn with the pre-season philosophy? Is it our O-Line coaching? None of that matters, because it all rests on Singletary making this thing work, and it is not working.

Just asking...

DOH!

Actually, I really don't look at 49ers.com for my updates on the team. I may look at it to look at the videos that the players do.

Now, you claim your a fan of football. That's great. BUT, I could care less what you say, WE WERE A TERRIBLE TEAM IN THE LEAGUE IN 2004. From management on down. Many of the players of the 04, and 05 teams, are not even playing in the league NOW.

To bring up Philly is pointless. Miami must have had talent to do a 180 degree turn with their record the way they did in the NFL(so what are you talking about?). About Miami, they had management issues. They did have talent...Miami wasn't a EXPANSION TEAM IN 06', and 07'. Again pointless comparisons...dude!

So the 49ers were an expansion team because you say they were. Do you know what type of talent is typically on an expansion team? Care to compare what you think an expansion team looks like vs a non-expansion? "To bring up Philly is pointless" because you don't know who was on the Philly squad. You can't debate the point and do a real comparison because you haven't done your homework on this topic.

Miami didn't really have talent - please tell me who was on the team relative to the 49ers since you make the claim. I actually named players above.

The one difference maker between the 6-10 and 1-15 team wasn't just "they must of had talent" - actually Bill Parcells was hired. He put together a great coaching staff and brought in talent enough to be competitive. They key however was creating a coaching staff that adapted to the talent they had. That's a referenceable fact. Nuff said.

Dude - last response to your thread. In order for this to be a constructive discussion, I need to have discuss more than general accusations and baseless definitions like "expansion team" and "we were the worst team in the league" without stats, facts, quotes, relative comparison. My initial post had direct quotes from players, reporters and coaches. You had .... well your general observations. Sure I expanded with my opinion, but it started at least in the realm of fact.

If you could careless what I say, well the logical reaction would be not to respond.

[ Edited by NinerGM on Nov 25, 2009 at 9:34 AM ]
The oc is not the problem....

Does not matter if hill or smith is at qb the oc has put them in to the endzone in the. 4th qtr.

When they must make yardage and score the do a good job considering. The talent.

It's the we must run mantra...the problem is sing