There are 141 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Coach Singletary: A Thorough Discussion of Why He Lost Me Today

Originally posted by BrodieWins:
Geez...This board gets me a little ticked at times.

I only see a frustrated head coach. When any head coach gets to this point, words are useless. He was given a big fat zero improvement to the team this year. Name me one impact free agent. Tell who the big name QB is. Give me one dog gone name on OL that was to be a starter to improve it. And don't say Marvel.

Our GM did absolutely nothing to help him. Last year's draft didn't help him, this years didn't until Crabtree started.

And we expect him to work miracles? If this was a situation at work, I would say Sing was setup to fail. Is there any other explanation? Did Scot get us a Pass Rusher? Did we improve our Secondary? I see Roman is still on the team. Ulbrich was still on the team.

I am in Sing's corner. He has made changes when he could. He has less than zero to work with. Could any of you critics do any better? I bet most would have told Scotty off and walked

Hiring Sing made about as much sense as, say, hiring John Brodie would have. We went prehistoric and are now paying the price for such foolishness.
IT's the oline's fault!

OLINE

OLINE

OLINE

OLINE!
Originally posted by TFSP:
So if Sing goes 7-9, 8-8, and NO playoffs, he's supposed to be fired your saying? You mentioned Scott MC, well, what GMs took a trash ass team like the 2004 roster, and brought them to the playoffs in 5 years. Who can you compare to what that track record looks like?

Just asking...

No, but they are on notice. You know I can handle losing close games but coming out so unprepared after 10 days off and just being outplayed and outcoached in that 1st half so badly, it's unacceptable!
  • TFSP
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
So if Sing goes 7-9, 8-8, and NO playoffs, he's supposed to be fired your saying? You mentioned Scott MC, well, what GMs took a trash ass team like the 2004 roster, and brought them to the playoffs in 5 years. Who can you compare to what that track record looks like?

Just asking...

No, but they are on notice. You know I can handle losing close games but coming out so unprepared after 10 days off and just being outplayed and outcoached in that 1st half so badly, it's unacceptable!

I'll say this...like I've been saying since AS got the start. VD and DW should be in on 65% of the shotgun formations and they need to run this formation 70% of the game. They would be effective in the run and pass.
ill hold my input until the season is over.
He had to reach far today to explain things, and at the end of it he looked stupid. I said it in another post and i'll say it again. Regardless of what you did in training camp you have one of the best receiving TE in Vernon Davis, you have one of the best receiving RB in Frank Gore then you have Crabtree, Morgan, Hill, Bruce, Battle and Jones, Walker, Robinson... All this with a QB built for the spread offense... and our line is injured and cant run block for s**t!

With all that said, coach Sing would rather stick to our preseason plan and put half those guys on the bench, have the other half block, make our spread QB hand it off just so Frank can get 3 yards and a cloud of dust. The best coaches use the tools they have and play to there strengths... He isn't doing it.

Actually looking at this thing as a whole knowing what we know today I am now very curious as to what would have happened with our franchise if Martz was Chosen instead of Sing.
  • TFSP
Originally posted by 49Gorillas:
He had to reach far today to explain things, and at the end of it he looked stupid. I said it in another post and i'll say it again. Regardless of what you did in training camp you have one of the best receiving TE in Vernon Davis, you have one of the best receiving RB in Frank Gore then you have Crabtree, Morgan, Hill, Bruce, Battle and Jones, Walker, Robinson... All this with a QB built for the spread offense... and our line is injured and cant run block for s**t!

With all that said, coach Sing would rather stick to our preseason plan and put half those guys on the bench, have the other half block, make our spread QB hand it off just so Frank can get 3 yards and a cloud of dust. The best coaches use the tools they have and play to there strengths... He isn't doing it.

Actually looking at this thing as a whole knowing what we know today I am now very curious as to what would have happened with our franchise if Martz was Chosen instead of Sing.

We'd have 70 sacks and 47 ints.

really? how many sacks did we give up when we switched to the spread after half time? how many have we given up in our standard i back formation?

when alex can barely finish his drop before being pressured, he is going to struggle.

he lost me with all this, but can easily get me back if they change. but if they come out and repeat the last 4 weeks he will have lost me, and if we don't change at all this year, i will not blink at his firing.
He's a joke. All his motivation rah rah bulls**t isn't going to work. This is not highschool football.

He's a stricter Mike Nolan. Nuff said.

I only see a frustrated head coach. When any head coach gets to this point, words are useless. He was given a big fat zero improvement to the team this year. Name me one impact free agent. Tell who the big name QB is. Give me one dog gone name on OL that was to be a starter to improve it. And don't say Marvel.

Our GM did absolutely nothing to help him. Last year's draft didn't help him, this years didn't until Crabtree started.

And we expect him to work miracles? If this was a situation at work, I would say Sing was setup to fail. Is there any other explanation? Did Scot get us a Pass Rusher? Did we improve our Secondary? I see Roman is still on the team. Ulbrich was still on the team.

I am in Sing's corner. He has made changes when he could. He has less than zero to work with. Could any of you critics do any better? I bet most would have told Scotty off and walked

That's fine and I understand that McCloughan did not upgrad this team in anyway this offseason aside from WR, which came at midseason.

But one of the biggest things about coaching is putting your players in the best position to succeed, and Singletary has not done that. However, I can not see him being let go at the end of the season, especially since this team will probably finish well again.

What needs to happen is for the coaching staff to get a complete overhaul. Get rid of Foerster and bring in an accomplished OL coach who can turn these relatively high draft picks into some thing worth looking at. Get rid of Jerry Sullivan.

Finally, get rid of Jimmy Raye. I know that another coordinator for Alex wouldn't be the best thing if he is the starter in 2010, but the only way that Singletary can work as our HC is if the 49ers bring in an offensive guru. Somebody that will have free reign in the offensive gameplan. Let him do whatever he wants. I don't know what great OCs is out there, but I do know that Mike Martz is.

Sing cannot touch the offensive which means getting rid of Raye who will comply with Sing's wishes Let Singletary be an almost figure-head of a head coach. He can be the motivational guy and also control in game situations. But he cannot have his hand in the offense.
Originally posted by Schulzy:

That's fine and I understand that McCloughan did not upgrad this team in anyway this offseason aside from WR, which came at midseason.

But one of the biggest things about coaching is putting your players in the best position to succeed, and Singletary has not done that. However, I can not see him being let go at the end of the season, especially since this team will probably finish well again.

What needs to happen is for the coaching staff to get a complete overhaul. Get rid of Foerster and bring in an accomplished OL coach who can turn these relatively high draft picks into some thing worth looking at. Get rid of Jerry Sullivan.

Finally, get rid of Jimmy Raye. I know that another coordinator for Alex wouldn't be the best thing if he is the starter in 2010, but the only way that Singletary can work as our HC is if the 49ers bring in an offensive guru. Somebody that will have free reign in the offensive gameplan. Let him do whatever he wants. I don't know what great OCs is out there, but I do know that Mike Martz is.

Sing cannot touch the offensive which means getting rid of Raye who will comply with Sing's wishes Let Singletary be an almost figure-head of a head coach. He can be the motivational guy and also control in game situations. But he cannot have his hand in the offense.

I agree with everything you said I just worry no accomplished OC's or even assistant coaches will want to work for Singletary. Remember, 3 guys turned the OC job before Raye took it. Singletary has no coaching connections (thats how we got his workout buddy and newphew on the staff) and him being stubborn with a big ego does not help
Singletary lost me today as well. Accept some accountabililty for once! You hired Raye,You insist on running the ball first when our pesonnel doesn't fit that, You have not provided any solutions to our offensive woes. This has become every 49er fans worst nightmare because Singletary is not an X's and O's kinda guy. Remember he never held a Coordinator job in the NFL and he is a defensive guy. I do not know if he an Raye actually know how to fix this offense or if they do they are unwilluing to do it.

I know Jed likes Singletary and singletary may be a good assistant but as a Head coach he just might be a square peg trying to fit into a round hole in San Francisco. Coul he be a good head coach in the future? Maybe. I just think this fan base has gone through so much frustration that maybe a change will need to be made at the end of the season and maybe just maybe the front office can bring in a proven winner with head coaching experience.

Just asking...

Tony Sporano's Dolphins, (who didn't have a qb or an OL), Andy Reid's Eagles (I lived in Philly at the time), Lovie Smith's Bears - those are just teams off the top of my head.

So? We're already on pace to have something close to that. I'd much rather go down fighting than looking repeatedly inept.

Your coach doesn't know what a "Spread" offense is. No seriously. He doesn't KNOW what it is.
You know what? Moving forward, Singletary remains the best option as head coach for this team. from the execution stand point, no one knows our master rebuilding plan better than singletary. we need singletary to stay the course and finish the job.

From value stand point, singletary also shines, best price performance in the league.