There are 88 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Coach Singletary: A Thorough Discussion of Why He Lost Me Today

I’m sure this will be misconstrued with other posts and as being “negative” in view. Today Niner fans, Singletary has lost me because of three simple areas that I think every coach much accept:

- Accountability
- Willingness to Change Course Completely
- Reason (Football Logic/Understanding X and Os)

During today’s presser, I was looking for any of these three things, any way in which I could get some insight were the HC has a handle on the situation and knew exactly what was going on with his team. I will always support the 49ers, but even if they’re losing, if I understand those reasons and feel the coaches understand, I will support you 100%. However when reporters asked questions any lay fan would ask and some questions went beyond that with analysis and facts like:

Did you know that top passing offenses are at the top of their divisions….? (paraphrased)

Did you know that top rushing offense have losing records right now? (paraphrased)

All of these questions directly addressed as to why the 49ers seem to start every game the same; terrible, inept, predictable, conservative, run-based offense that opponents have obviously schemed to stop. We usually don’t convert 3rd downs and give the opposing offenses chance after chance, and eventually they score, resulting in being down by the half.

The question is about strategy; why do the 49er repeat their oft-proved unsuccessful offensive schemes during the first half? Why not start the game with offensive sets in the shotgun, a supposed Alex Smith strength? Who’s making this decision and who’s accountable?

Singletary doesn’t really give an answer. He says that the coaches can’t just throw everything away they used in training camp and going to a shotgun would do this. Really? Well since the team is at 4-6 and have very, very little hope of winning a game with the “training camp strategy”, maybe we need to treat the current time as if we were back in preseason, and games on Sunday are “live scrimmages”. When pressed further about teams who pass predominantly and their winning records, Sing says “they may look good now but they’ll have to run at some point.” Well it’s Week 10 and you need to start looking good before you can get to the playoffs right? Simple, unequivocal fact: you’re going to need to pass more to become balanced and do something opponents may not have seen on film.

When pressed again about if the 49ers will ever be considered a “passing team” and when given examples like the Colts as a successful passing team, Singletary says “I wouldnt necessarily call the Colts a passing team.” Here it is in a nutshell my friends: blatant denial. Sing is simply being stubborn and showing a complete lack of willingness to change in the face of all facts and evidence demanding he does so. Sing says “we need to achieve balance” but starts every half of football the same, as an unbalanced, run-oriented, dink and dunk offense that’s ineffective at maintaining drives. Sing doesn’t see that we fielding half of a team week after week when the offense is so blatantly ineffective for halves of games..

When pressed further, a reporter asked “can the 49ers run effectively out of the shotgun?” Singletary’s response verged on comedy. He says that Frank is the type of runner that needs to run downhill between the tackles. He’s (Frank Gore) not a slashing/perimeter (paraphrase) type of guy. If I were Gore, this would be embarrassed because clearly the coach isn’t familiar with Gore’s range of talents. All of Gore’s long runs came when he was able to get lost (temporarily), brake one tackle, get in the open field and make people miss, using that uncanny vision to the daylight, yet Singletary claims he watches tons of film. Gore also has the speed to run a toss well (scored a couple TDs) and has hands good enough to place terror in any receiver. He’s led the team in receptions before this season.

When asked what the “Spread” offense was, a reported needed to clarify that this was more than just an offensive formation with “more receivers.”Singletary shows a complete lack of reason here. He doesn’t understanding the fundamental X and Os. So it’s either Spread or Run, nothing in between. This is one of the many, but critical problems with the 49ers. Are the coaches so weak in their understanding and developing of the game, they aren’t even able to design game plans on offense that can capture the strengths of both the Spread but also effectively run? Furthermore, Singletary thinks in run/pass binary terms that make it impossible for any OC to innovate beyond what we’ve seen thus far.

Today Sing lost me as a supporter because he couldn’t be accountable for the fact that this Sunday’s loss was 80% on the coaches, then he displayed in the face of glaring facts an unwillingness to change at the team’s detriment and finally an inability to be reasonable in explanation as to why he supports a view that’s clearly not working. These are serious problems I had not seen before out of our head coach, but these issues will only grow as the team is again rebuilt with younger players. This team needs more than a determined attitude about winning. If you don’t play that way in the NFL you don’t need to be there. The 49ers need a game-planner, someone who can see the big picture from an X and Os standpoint. Chances are they’ll get outcoached every week unless they play, well the cellar teams of the NFL – but even they’re starting to catch up.

Solution? I really believe more than ever, Jed needs to clean house as in 2005. New GM, new coach, new staff. Despite the defense playing well, they haven’t been good enough to escape a complete coaching purge of this system if necessary. If the new administration decides to retain defensive coaches, then it should be their option. Jed needs to talk to his uncle and ask him how he put together his Niners of lore. I’m willing to bet Eddie still has ties out there in the NFL world. Lean on him, gets some expertise about the true rising stars out there at GM, VP and HC.
[ Edited by NinerGM on Nov 24, 2009 at 7:51 AM ]
He lost me today too. He just looked like a fool today.
He could motivate a mosquito through a brick wall, but doesn't understand the modern game, stuck in the seventies!
he has too much pride
  • jaghetersofie
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by MadMartz:
He lost me today too. He just looked like a fool today.
wow. Did you know historically top running teams are the ones that make the playoffs and go deep in the playoffs? This year, yes, seems to be a little backwards on that, but, it's not like his reasoning is bad.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
wow. Did you know historically top running teams are the ones that make the playoffs and go deep in the playoffs? This year, yes, seems to be a little backwards on that, but, it's not like his reasoning is bad.

After week 1, you could tell that we wre not going to be a good running team.
STAY THE COURSE. 1 yard and a cloud of dust is the way to the Super Bowl. Don't spread the offense for Alex. He's more of an I formation guy.

Gruden, Holmgren and Shanahan are available. Anyone of them can set the franchise up for the future just as Walsh did. If Jed waits too long, they will be gone and so will the fans!

By the way, an account rep from the 49ers office called a buddy of mine today (season ticket holder) and asked if there was anything they could do. He told him he wanted a refund!
Originally posted by ninerfan21:

Top running teams are the teams that run in the second half to protect a lead, a lead built with a strong but balanced passing attack, when Sing said he wanted to 'Run even when the other guys knows you are going to run" I thought this is what he meant!
I feel this team is never going to be successful under singletary. Too much like Mike Nolan.
Oh no. My worst fears have truly been realized. Not a good day to be a Niner fan.
  • NEW_WORLD_ORDER
  • Info N/A
The fact that he doesn't know what a post route is makes me want to vomit! He said, that route where the reciever goes like this (gestures with his hands). Not a good sign when the head coach does not know the routes his players run.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you've never been a supporter of Coach Sing anyways. So how did he lose you today if he's never had you?
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
I feel this team is never going to be successful under singletary. Too much like Mike Nolan.

seriously he was under the same regime, why did we ever hire from within, we should have stayed patient and hire one of our greats from the past like shannahan or holmgren, too late now, sing is gonna get atleast 2 more years. I think he will get us to the playoffs within that time though because unlike the team nolan inherited, this team has talent.
[ Edited by PRIMETIME21 on Nov 23, 2009 at 1:52 PM ]