There are 100 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

"It's a Young Team": Is this the reason the 49ers are losing?

"It's a Young Team": Is this the reason the 49ers are losing?

I'm curious as to how many of you have read, heard or responded to the "this young team needs to settle down" message from Singletary as the reason for our inability to get things going on offense and close the deal on defense. The 49ers are in a 3-game hole and unless the Cardinals make a monumental failure, we're going to be out of the playoffs.

Is the team that young an inexperienced? How does this compare to other young teams in the league starting young players?

Please respond to the poll and your comments are welcomed also.
[ Edited by NinerGM on Nov 23, 2009 at 11:13 AM ]
No, I don't buy it.

We've been a young team for 5 years now and the results are exactly the same.

The Falcons are a young team, they're having much more success then we are.

We're a team that has piss-poor coaching and they won't admit it.
Ya I buy it. Guys like Chilo and Staley are still developing on our OL (of course we have a bum like Snyder and Baas at times). Our LB's are young, and T. Brown and Goldson are first year starters. Young WR corps, as well, and a growing QB.

I thought this year at best we will be 9-7, I half expected playoffs this year, especially after the Vikings game. I expect playoffs next year, only then will I be calling for Sing's head (unless we are just killed by injuries).
We lose because we run a system that is slated toward the weaknesses of the team rather than the strengths of the team.
1981 49ers had three rookies starting in the defensive backfield and won a Super Bowl. Also, Crabtree is playing well in his rookie season without a training camp. I don't buy it. Go full throttle on offense and full throttle on defense. You would have thought that Singletary, standing on the sidelines during the Nolan years, would have learned that strategizing for ball control and three point victories decided on the final possession is a recipe for disaster.
6th oldest roster in the league . . .

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/4447/three-of-nine-oldest-teams-in-nfc-west
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
6th oldest roster in the league . . .

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/4447/three-of-nine-oldest-teams-in-nfc-west

This is skewed by a few players. Overall, we are a young team. That said, it is NOT the reason that we are losing.
No!

sings dumb ass is the reason why we are losing and line
[ Edited by ninersrule4 on Nov 23, 2009 at 10:09 AM ]
I don't know if we are a young team when viewed strictly in terms of age, but we certainly aren't a veteran team that understands what it takes to win in this league.

The talent is there. Certain players have stepped up to have good games at different times, but we can't seem to get everybody to play well at the same time. Either the offense plays terrible and the defense steps up, or the offense steps up and the defense lets us down.

We're still taking stupid penalties (T Brown's personal foul against the Bears) and making stupid plays (Alex's interception against GB) at critical points in the game.

We can call it being "young" or "immature" or whatever other catch phrase is out there, but the bottomline is we don't know how to win. We can't execute anything other than a spread offense and boneheaded plays on all sides of the ball are costing us wins right now. At some point, we are going to have to play a complete game against a decent opponent.
Not at all.

We are losing because we are unwilling to adapt our offensive philosophy to suit our personnel unless the scoreboard forces us to do so. Couple this with uncreative playcalling from an uber-conservative puppet OC, and you have yourself the 2009 49ers.

-9fA
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
No!

sings dumb ass is the reason why we are losing and line
The coaches have been sayin that for years! No more excuses
We are inexperienced at some key positions, but the main problem is that we wasted to offseason trying to be a power running team when our offensive linemen, even the good ones, are big pussies. Heitman is a decent center, but the guy gets pushed back into the backfeild way too often. Other than Staley, the rest of the line doesn't even bear mentioning.
  • B650
  • Veteran
There's a lot more to it than that. To me, that's just Singletary's way of deflecting blame off of the coaches. In my mind, the coaches are the biggest problem right now.
Originally posted by linkboy:
No, I don't buy it.

We've been a young team for 5 years now and the results are exactly the same.

The Falcons are a young team, they're having much more success then we are.

We're a team that has piss-poor coaching and they won't admit it.

Average NFL career is about 5 years! that makes an old team!