LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 348 users in the forums

Experts: how bad is the OL, really?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
I'm certainly no expert...

though I doubt that you'll find any here in the Zone...

...that said, we got blown up on a FB Blast on 3rd and an INCH. Couldn't even get us a lousy inch. We lost a yard. Imagine if they gave Alex the ball on a QB sneak which was the logical choice on that play.Probably would have lost 10.

~Ceadder

to be fair ceadder, that was the first time that FB dive has failed us on short yardage. It has been money up to that point.
Remember that Seattle game a couple of years ago when Smith bootlegged and ran in for a touchdown? What happened to those plays - the bootleg, the rollout, slants, traps?

It seems like the best we can do is that wide receiver screen we run 3-4 times a game. That is the most creative Raye can get?
[ Edited by contrarios on Nov 23, 2009 at 12:03 PM ]
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Greenbay has a horrible OL as well, and look at what Rodgers did to us.

Green Bays line looked like all pros against our anemic pass rush. Rodgers had almost no pressure on him the majority of the game. Our line is weaker than theirs for sure, especially with the injuries.
The Walsh offense can cover for an inferior line. The 81 team had the worst OL to win a super bowl.
Originally posted by Sugatis:
Originally posted by BobS:
I watch all the games, I have seen this team stopped too many times on 3rd & 1 and 4th & 1, I am no expert but that tells me the O-line is terrible. Most teams convert those 90% of the time, even if they run up the middle.

How do you not get enough push to get a 3rd and inches for god's sake??

And how does the coaching staff not know their O line is that bad and do something other than a pathetic predictable dive up the middle???

Your RG wiffs on a block.
Going into the season, the OL looked like a weak spot. Since then, M Smith retired. Pashos got picked up won a job then went on IR. Staley got hurt. Rachal played like the inexperienced player he is. So, the 9ers are playing two third string tackles and a second string guard. How can we expect them to be more than terrible?
Originally posted by leolion:
The Walsh offense can cover for an inferior line. The 81 team had the worst OL to win a super bowl.

Defense and a QB who knows how to manage a game and handle pressure can do wonders.
Originally posted by leolion:
Going into the season, the OL looked like a weak spot. Since then, M Smith retired. Pashos got picked up won a job then went on IR. Staley got hurt. Rachal played like the inexperienced player he is. So, the 9ers are playing two third string tackles and a second string guard. How can we expect them to be more than terrible?

Simple answer...we can't.
  • bret
  • Veteran
A lot of people comment about our line not being physical they way Singletary wants. But it seems to me that Baas, Rachal and Snyder are plenty physical. They're not quick enough. They get beat in pass blocking by stunts and blitzes. In short yardage situations they get beat off the ball by defenders who get beneath them.

I keep thinking back to "what if's" from in 2005. The Niners had Logan Mankins in their sights with the first pick of he second round, when New England scooped him up with the last pick of the first round (we settled for Baas). Mankins is due to be a free agent this year. Maybe we can't correct that problem this winter.

Whatever happens, we need to invest one of our top picks on a lineman with strength AND modern-day quickness.

This, to me, has been McCloughan's single biggest failing as a GM!
http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

31st at run blocking
29th in pass protection

KC is the only other team in the discussion for worst OL in the league, they are 32nd and 27th respectively.

• TFSP

Is that because Aaron knows his offense and practiced the same plays for 5 years, now?
  • TFSP
When the o-line breaks down, what I don't see Alex do is side-step defenders to bye just 2 more seconds. Instead he drop steps more backwards, and the o-line sits there a watches blood get crunched. It seems like they expect AS to get the ball off in 4 seconds tops. They O-line don't stay on blocks enough until the whistle blows.
little homie .. u ain't gotta be no expert to see this line sucks more then ya neighborhood bop ... we really gotta fix this line in the offseason if it's wit coaching or player changes
Originally posted by znk916:
http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

31st at run blocking
29th in pass protection

KC is the only other team in the discussion for worst OL in the league, they are 32nd and 27th respectively.
and they beat Pittsburgh, with good coaching... there is no way we would even be able to hold the steelers jock strap.
Hey Joecool. You are always clamoring for a new QB. Just who do you suggest we get? If a free agent, will he be willing to come here? If a draftee, who, and are you sure he will play better than Alex?
Share 49ersWebzone