LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

Experts: how bad is the OL, really?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
when we allow sacks and pressure from a 3-4 man rush, and can NEVER pick up a blitz, then your OLINE is bad. when your constantly opening no holes for one of the best backs in the league, and we have to rely on him busting one every 10-15 carries, then your OLINE is bad. When you cant convert a 3rd and 1 and 4th and inches, and constantly getting tossed and thrown to the ground, then your OLINE is bad. when your QB has no time to throw, and is getting planted on his last drop on a 3 step drop, then your OLINE is bad
  • hcniner64
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Greenbay has a horrible OL as well, and look at what Rodgers did to us.

Can you keep your hatred for Alex on other threads? We are talking solely offensive line here. I dont care who your skill players are if your offensive line is great it makes your skill players better, if your offensive line is worse your skill players are worse. Thus improving our o-line improves our team. Any argument otherwise would be just plain foolish.
Originally posted by hcniner64:

Can you keep your hatred for Alex on other threads? We are talking solely offensive line here. I dont care who your skill players are if your offensive line is great it makes your skill players better, if your offensive line is worse your skill players are worse. Thus improving our o-line improves our team. Any argument otherwise would be just plain foolish.

• luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by JoeO321:
ru dumb carlgo

ybe it is the coaching...........the personel dont seem to be bad players per se....staley is good, sims has played well in his place, baas can be a raod grader in the run game but may lack mobility, heitman is well thought of and rachal was a high pick from an elite college program...snyder has played better in relief in the past than he has as a starter

they dumped the former oline coach warhop for forrester....without much improvement
maybe forester isnt doing such a great job..

because it functions as a unit, I think oline is an area where a coach can make a difference....guys like hudson houck and alex gibbs have come into teams with bad olines and got dramatic improvements with esentially the same players...maybe singletary needs to find that kind of coach

then again the pass rush from the 9ers side was a no show
difference is theirs did show up
[ Edited by ninerfreak on Nov 23, 2009 at 9:49 AM ]
It's a finesse O-line. Not going to out-physical anybody. So the coaches need to plan according to the players' strengths instead of forcing them to do things they are not good at. The only problem is these are big guys, who can't push people around, but are not good at trapping and pulling either. What to do? Maybe just spread them out, throw the ball and let Gore run it on occasion. But definitely not a power running team.
On that 4th down run I noticed that Norris had his head down. If he had kept his head up (Like I was taught in high school!) he would have seen room to his left. He could have slid through for the few inches they needed.

Question: Why don't players keep their heads up these days?

GB outschemed us. They played to the players' strengths and kept us off balance all day. Put that one on our coaches. Manusky didn't prepare properly.
  • BobS
  • Veteran

A horrible O-line doesn't look so bad against the 49ers pass rush.

I'm certainly no expert...

though I doubt that you'll find any here in the Zone...

...that said, we got blown up on a FB Blast on 3rd and an INCH. Couldn't even get us a lousy inch. We lost a yard. Imagine if they gave Alex the ball on a QB sneak which was the logical choice on that play.Probably would have lost 10.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by contrarios:

GB outschemed us. They played to the players' strengths and kept us off balance all day. Put that one on our coaches. Manusky didn't prepare properly.

Actually there were a few times we got pressure, and ROdgers looked horrible on those. Think about the times that Balmer hit him and the time that SOap broke free and chase him for like a 15 yard loss on the intentional grounding.
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Originally posted by contrarios:

Actually there were a few times we got pressure, and ROdgers looked horrible on those. Think about the times that Balmer hit him and the time that SOap broke free and chase him for like a 15 yard loss on the intentional grounding.

Yes but those were way too infrequent. Any QB is going to perform at a lower level when there is pressure on him. Even Brady and Manning have difficulties under extreme pressure compared to when they can sit back and count to 10. Until the Niners get a consistent pass rush its going to continue to be the same damn result.
The OL is bad but just about every team goes through this and we can't seem to get around it. Why? Because it's just not our OL that's bad. Alex has improved a little at shifting in the pocket but he didn't do a very good job at it yesterday. He is now biginning to get into a habit of moving up too early and he still needs to learn to move in the pocket as the line is moving.

What I mean by that last sentence is if one side is being blocked stronger than the other, then the weaker side begins to close and this is where he needs to shift over to the guy who's blocking better. So far, he shifts up but ends up taking more of a risk because the player coming can now get him from behind and cause a possible fumble. Rodgers actually shifted sideways as the location of the pocket was changed from the blocking.
Originally posted by BobS:
I watch all the games, I have seen this team stopped too many times on 3rd & 1 and 4th & 1, I am no expert but that tells me the O-line is terrible. Most teams convert those 90% of the time, even if they run up the middle.

How do you not get enough push to get a 3rd and inches for god's sake??

And how does the coaching staff not know their O line is that bad and do something other than a pathetic predictable dive up the middle???
Share 49ersWebzone