LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 321 users in the forums

Experts: how bad is the OL, really?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Some posters say all the problems come from a terrible OL. Others say the OL isn't that bad, that it is the offensive philosophy of Sing.

It does seem the OL does well when the defenses are spread out. When in the traditional Sing offense, they appear to have more guys to block than there are blockers, and of course there is no deception to confuse them.

Is there any line in the NFL which could successfully run Sing's system agains the better teams?

So, you ex-linemen and actual experts on line play, what is it really? (Please, no responses from those who have no actual experience or expertise at a reasonably high level).
If you're really looking for analysis from actual experts (ie, people who actually worked in or played the game at a high level) this is going to be a very, very short thread. Just sayin...
ru dumb carlgo
Did anybody else notice that Chilo is playing much better since being benched?
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I watch all the games, I have seen this team stopped too many times on 3rd & 1 and 4th & 1, I am no expert but that tells me the O-line is terrible. Most teams convert those 90% of the time, even if they run up the middle.
OL is horrible. Especially when attempting to run the ball. they get driven off the line and pushed around. We need to sign some free agent OL's this off season.
Originally posted by BobS:
I watch all the games, I have seen this team stopped too many times on 3rd & 1 and 4th & 1, I am no expert but that tells me the O-line is terrible. Most teams convert those 90% of the time, even if they run up the middle.

The conversion percentage on 3rd and 1 or 2 is somewhere around 60-70%. We complete about 30% of those. Yes, we are bad!
First of all we have a bad scheme. The OL has some talent, but it's a bad scheme. Snyder is an awful RT/G. Baas struggles at times, and the same with Chilo, and Staley/Sims and Heitmann aren't maulers, they are fines/technique guys.

Once we replace our RT/LG with some maulers, this will be a good OL.
Originally posted by carlgo:
Some posters say all the problems come from a terrible OL. Others say the OL isn't that bad, that it is the offensive philosophy of Sing.

It does seem the OL does well when the defenses are spread out. When in the traditional Sing offense, they appear to have more guys to block than there are blockers, and of course there is no deception to confuse them.

Is there any line in the NFL which could successfully run Sing's system agains the better teams?

So, you ex-linemen and actual experts on line play, what is it really? (Please, no responses from those who have no actual experience or expertise at a reasonably high level).

Of course the oline does better with the defense spread out. It doesn't have to worry as much about blitz pick up with people covering receivers etc.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
OL is horrible. Especially when attempting to run the ball. they get driven off the line and pushed around. We need to sign some free agent OL's this off season.

YES. Veteran OL pickups are a must. We can't expect rookie O-linemen to make this line better next year.

• hcniner64
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

YES. Veteran OL pickups are a must. We can't expect rookie O-linemen to make this line better next year.

I have not taken the time to analyze the o-line but my impressions are it is never as good as it seems or as bad. I think they are playing average right now. That being said I agree with you and think that we definitely could be a solid o-line with a RT/LG upgrade in FA/Draft. I dont think we should stop there though we also need like 2 more solid backups. Having played o-line it is one of the most physical and tough positions (maybee I am a little biased but it is safe to say) and people always get banged up on the line so we definetely need a couple of quality backups who can play at least a few different positions.
Our O-line has been completely rebuilt in the past 5 years with new personnel. They are all very motivated and dedicated to coach Singletary.
Bring in this guy (Mankins) and we immediately become better.

• hcniner64
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by jreff22:
Bring in this guy (Mankins) and we immediately become better.

This along with drafting a future RT with one of our first round picks would be the start of a dream scenario in my mind.
Greenbay has a horrible OL as well, and look at what Rodgers did to us.
Share 49ersWebzone