LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

Coach Sing -"We are a smash mouth football team".

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Mex49
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
That's a lot of talk. We don't have the O LINE for that.

Or a FB
I will wait until the game to see if he is just using coach speak, but chances are that I will say "He just doesnt get it"

With Holmgren and Shanahan out there, it is real hard to stand behind a coach that wants to keep beating his head against the wall offensively and run a 1920s offense.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
I will wait until the game to see if he is just using coach speak, but chances are that I will say "He just doesnt get it"

With Holmgren and Shanahan out there, it is real hard to stand behind a coach that wants to keep beating his head against the wall offensively and run a 1920s offense.

That is a 1920's offense with out the personnel to do it. I can remember when 2nd & 1
and 3rd & 1 were free downs, time to run play action and throw deep. Now we run up the middle on those downs and get stuffed, makes me want to scream!
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

That is a 1920's offense with out the personnel to do it. I can remember when 2nd & 1
and 3rd & 1 were free downs, time to run play action and throw deep. Now we run up the middle on those downs and get stuffed, makes me want to scream!

He is trying to have an offense like the Giants, and doesnt realize that this team doesnt have a Brandon Jacobs. If he wants to do that just move Patrick Willis to RB and hand him the ball.
Someone should tell Singletary...."Don't tell me...show me"...
I would like to take the opportunity to say that we are excited about the game this week. We are really excited to see what we can do against a good team. We are excited to be a smash mouth football team. We are excited with the opportunity to run the ball down the middle on every down. And excited to know thats not going to work. We are excited to see 9 stack the box against our excited offense line. We are a team that is excited to get 5 yard in the first half and to get only 10 first downs. Not to mention we are excited to have the T.O.P. doubled by our opponent.

All of this is caused by football players that are not mature? BS, our coach is not mature, he is stubborn and wont change to work with our tallent.

I am NOT excited for where we are or where we are going.
Obviously Singletary doesnt believe his own rhetoric about being a smash mouth team when the Niners didnt go for the 4th and a foot in the first quarter. I would promise you that if he really believed that he would have given the ball to Gore up the middle and gotten the first down.

Question.. does anyone really think the odds are greater to make a 46 yard field goal than make a foot? I would bet the answer to that is.. hell NO. The Niners had a chance to set the tone in that game and Singletary basically threw up the white flag in surrender mode and acknowledged that our OL sucks and cant get the job done.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Seriously what is his beef with the Shotgun? Brady must take 70% or more of his snaps out of the gun. What is wrong with this guy?
In order to be a smash mouth team we need an offensive line that can hold their ground, beat opposing defensive linemen and open holes for the RB's to do their thing and that we simply do not have. If we had that luxury, we could be a smash mouth team, or a spread team..... take your pick.

The best hope we have now is to open up the offense and run the spread. Hell, we are on track for yet another losing season... what could it hurt? Best case is we can see what Alex and Co can do. Worst case, we lose out the string, end up 4-12 with a few decent high picks in a decent draft.
"We go out and let people smash us at the mouth." That's the motto of Mr. Singletary.

• boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
We're f**king pathetic. Watching the Eagles vs. Bears game made even more pissed. Eagles were facing a 3rd & 15 and they get an easy first down on a slant. I mean we could only dream of doing that, we can't even get an inch on 3rd down

well, Marty Mornhinweg is the Eagles OC. i'm pretty sure we as fans ran him out of town too.
More like 'Mush Mouth"
Mush Mouth!
Originally posted by strickac:
If Sing doesn't go to the Spread (or atleast the Shotgun) early next week, I'll lose all faith in him. He's too stubborn for own good. We clearly are more effective when we spread it out. We are NOT a smash-mouth team.

Isn't it the coach's job to best utilize the talent on his team? If he ignores the Spread, he's letting his ego comprimise the team's success.

On the bright side, maybe Shanahan is watching and excited about the opportunity to get his hands on our potential on offense.

He better come out aggressive next week or he will be on the hot seat very quickly.
Originally posted by Mex49:

Or a FB

toby gerhart
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Originally posted by Mex49:

Or a FB

toby gerhart

Toby could be the next Tom Rathman, if he puts on a few LBs
Share 49ersWebzone