There are 165 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Spread Offense or 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

Spread Offense or 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

What is the best way to go for this team going forward?
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Nov 22, 2009 at 10:16 PM ]
If it's 3 yards and a cloud of dust, then that means we end up with 3rd and 4 situations, which is manageable. I'll take that over the spread offense.

Of course, a more accurate description of this season would be "1 or 2 yards and a cloud of dust." That'll really make me wonder.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
If it's 3 yards and a cloud of dust, then that means we end up with 3rd and 4 situations, which is manageable. I'll take that over the spread offense.

Of course, a more accurate description of this season would be "1 or 2 yards and a cloud of dust." That'll really make me wonder.

Well I guess with us it's more like 1 yard and a cloud of dust so maybe I should change that. And sing being stubborn and sticking with more of the same on 2nd and 3rd down.
The passing game should definitely revolve around the spread. Similar to how GB, Indy, New England, New Orleans, and Arizona run it. It works!!!!!!!!! There is a reason that in the last 5 years, 3 of those teams have been to the Super Bowl or won it.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
The passing game should definitely revolve around the spread. Similar to how GB, Indy, New England, New Orleans, and Arizona run it. It works!!!!!!!!! There is a reason that in the last 5 years, 3 of those teams have been to the Super Bowl or won it.

I agree.
To better answer your question,

I think the spread offense will result in a more productive offense with points and yards. But the problem is that we're going to turn the ball over via interceptions and fumbles via sacks. That's exactly what happened against the Titans.

With the 1-2 yards and a cloud of dust, it's a "slow death" for us where our defense slowly but surely gets tired, gives up points, and the offense has to pass all throughout the second half.

I'm of the opinion that we should just let Alex go out there and do his thing. He's a smart QB that can learn from his mistakes. Let him go out there and throw it. Maybe he'll throw some INTs, but I'm sure he'll score some TDs and control the clock.

Peyton Manning's rookie season resulted in more INTs than TDs. But the next year, he matured into a star. I think he was able to learn from his mistakes.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

I agree.

How about a combination. Keying to the opponents weakness. Actually having a plan of attack. Also, letting the QB call an audible out of a running play. So he can take advantage of the 8 in box that defenses throw at us.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
To better answer your question,

I think the spread offense will result in a more productive offense with points and yards. But the problem is that we're going to turn the ball over via interceptions and fumbles via sacks. That's exactly what happened against the Titans.

With the 1-2 yards and a cloud of dust, it's a "slow death" for us where our defense slowly but surely gets tired, gives up points, and the offense has to pass all throughout the second half.

I'm of the opinion that we should just let Alex go out there and do his thing. He's a smart QB that can learn from his mistakes. Let him go out there and throw it. Maybe he'll throw some INTs, but I'm sure he'll score some TDs and control the clock.

Peyton Manning's rookie season resulted in more INTs than TDs. But the next year, he matured into a star. I think he was able to learn from his mistakes.

It's the slow death that bothers me. I'd rather at least try. Go out there and give it a shot the last 6 games. What can we lose at this point?
Three yards and a cloud of dust is the wrong interpretation of Singletary's offense.

Coach Singletary's offense's meant to be a more than three yards. Coach Singletary's offense is trying to get 3.4 yards per attend, then do it on all downs to get 10.2 yards per series, subject to measurement.

When it's done right, it is the most beautiful thing. When he presented his offense to the ownership and senior management, the response was first shocked then in awe, followed by thunderous clapping. The approval was overwhelming.
Originally posted by jed_york:
Three yards and a cloud of dust is the wrong interpretation of Singletary's offense.

Coach Singletary's offense's meant to be a more than three yards. Coach Singletary's offense is trying to get 3.4 yards per attend, then do it on all downs to get 10.2 yards per series, subject to measurement.

When it's done right, it is the most beautiful thing. When he presented his offense to the ownership and senior management, the response was first shocked then in awe, followed by thunderous clapping. The approval was overwhelming.

Originally posted by jed_york:

lol
I think we'll try to use the spread more this season but won't really get it down because that's something they should have worked on in camp and didn't. However, if we want a bigger move to the spread next season, should we promote Mike Johnson to OC? Sing would have to change his philosophy for that to happen, and that would probably only happen if Jed told him to get it together or GTFO!
  • B650
  • Veteran
My only hope is that Raye falls asleep before the start of the Jacksonville game, wakes up in a panic and thinks it's the 2nd half already, and starts calling plays using a spread-type offense.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home