There are 74 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why so close if we stink?

I'm beating my own dead horse here, but once again the Niners lose a game by 7 points or less. They now have 6 losses, by margins of:
-3 @ Vikings
-35, Falcons
-3 @ Texans
-4 @ Colts
-7, Titans
-6, @ Green Bay.

It is flat out weird. There have been 159 games played in the NFL so far this year. 53% of those games are lost by 9 points or more. 47% are lost by 8 points or less.

Something is obviously wrong with this team because they are 4-6. But it can't be terribly wrong, because they are in every game to the bitter end (Falcons are exception). I've posted before that the closeness of the games shows the team has talent and the closeness of the road games shows the team has coaching, and I still believe that is true. But it isn't translating into wins.

But I don't think you blow up the team. I think, for the foreseeable future, you put your eggs into on basket -- the shotgun. I just don't see an alternative for this team.
Originally posted by RichnSanRamon:
I'm beating my own dead horse here, but once again the Niners lose a game by 7 points or less. They now have 6 losses, by margins of:
-3 @ Vikings
-35, Falcons
-3 @ Texans
-4 @ Colts
-7, Titans
-6, @ Green Bay.

It is flat out weird. There have been 159 games played in the NFL so far this year. 53% of those games are lost by 9 points or more. 47% are lost by 8 points or less.

Something is obviously wrong with this team because they are 4-6. But it can't be terribly wrong, because they are in every game to the bitter end (Falcons are exception). I've posted before that the closeness of the games shows the team has talent and the closeness of the road games shows the team has coaching, and I still believe that is true. But it isn't translating into wins.

But I don't think you blow up the team. I think, for the foreseeable future, you put your eggs into on basket -- the shotgun. I just don't see an alternative for this team.

It's bad coaching and game preparation. We don't make adjustments on the fly. We had to come back from way down with Houston and Green Bay.
  • Sulla
  • Veteran
It's like were fighting opponents with a dull axe - we need to sharpen it.

Offensively, Sing wants ground and pound, although it doesn't fit to the personnel of the team.

Defensively, we are good, but we lack the ability to make the play that will decisively end the game - a lack of pass rush and a lack of getting turnovers. We're not creating enough turnovers.
Originally posted by Sulla:
It's like were fighting opponents with a dull axe - we need to sharpen it.

Offensively, Sing wants ground and pound, although it doesn't fit to the personnel of the team.

Defensively, we are good, but we lack the ability to make the play that will decisively end the game - a lack of pass rush and a lack of getting turnovers. We're not creating enough turnovers.
so close yet so far
yeah we suck