There are 311 users in the forums

Running Plays: Is it the Scheme, O-line, Ratio or Strengths?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
So I was thinking to myself... WTH is wrong with our running game? I can understand a philosophy of running the ball. It makes sense. Frank Gore is our most proven player and he is capable of having monster games for us.

Is it the Scheme?
When I mean scheme, I mean the design of the plays. Do our running plays have creativity? I don't know enough about Xs and Os, but I know there's a lot more to it than "Alright. Chilo and Heitmann, you take the NT while everyone else occupies 1 man." "Are Jimmy Raye's plays too simple?" is what I'm asking.

SOLUTION:?
If that's the case, then we're screwed as long as Jimmy Raye is the OC. It's possibly that the players get better next season with a year of continuity.

Is it the O-line/O-line's coaching?
Assuming everything else is okay, is it simply that the O-line is underperforming and/or sucks? Or is it that the O-line coach and/or Jimmy Raye not teaching them properly? Granted, we've experienced injuries the last couple weeks, but this unit has sucked all season long.

SOLUTION?:
If it's simply the skill level of the o-line, I don't expect much improvement the rest of the season. If this is the case, the o-line will have to be re-tooled and/or hope that certain young players like Chilo Rachal improve by next season. And unless we get the second-coming of Bobb McKitttrick, this unit needs major work.

Is it the Pass/Run Ratio?
I imagine this is what most people THINK, especially when we announced during the offseason that we'd run 60% of the time. In this sense, teams are geared to stop the run. I believe that good running teams can still run when there are 8+ men in the box, but still.. we haven't shown we're a good running team. But when we fail to run, we fall behind in games, have 3 and outs, tire out the defense, and force the offense to do what it is not built to do by coming back. The opposite is if we try to pass the majority of the time and turn the ball over a lot, which is what happened against the Titans.

SOLUTION?:
If this is the case, then this COULD be solved during this season, but it will take some time. We could find the right balance of pass/run ratio next week... or we might not find it until Week 17, or maybe not even find it at all. It takes some time for an offense to overcome philosophical problems such as pass/run ratio.

Is it simply that we're not playing to the strengths of our offense?
Is it possible we're not a running team? Alex Smith's performances in the second halves of the Titans and Packers games make you wonder if we're a vertical passing type of team... This really makes you wonder because Alex Smith's performance against the Titans was against a defense that didn't gameplan against him, while both the Packers and Titans had substantial leads. Singletary suggested that it's possible that Alex was playing a soft defense.

When you look at the offense you see talented young guys in Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree, Josh Morgan, Jason Hill, etc. Under Mike Martz last year, the team was a pretty explosive offense, with the drawbacks of turnovers and sacks. So it's clear that the offense can produce under the right circumstances.

SOLUTION?:
As with pass/run ratio, this situation may take some time to sort itself out. We built this offense with a running philosophy in mind, using Shaun Hill as the QB. Shaun Hill and Alex Smith are different quarterbacks. Figuring out what works well for the team takes some time. We could figure it out next week, in Week 17, or not at all this season. Who knows what happens in the offseason if we don't figure it out this season. We might give up entirely on Alex Smith and Shaun Hill, electing to draft a new QB... If this happens, we'll have to start over on the offensive process.

Thoughts? I have no idea what is wrong with the running game and the offense as a whole. What do you guys think?
[ Edited by Wubbie on Nov 22, 2009 at 9:51 PM ]
Originally posted by Wubbie:
So I was thinking to myself... WTH is wrong with our running game? I can understand a philosophy of running the ball. It makes sense. Frank Gore is our most proven player and he is capable of having monster games for us.

Is it the Scheme?
When I mean scheme, I mean the design of the plays. Do our running plays have creativity? I don't know enough about Xs and Os, but I know there's a lot more to it than "Alright. Chilo and Heitmann, you take the NT while everyone else occupies 1 man." "Are Jimmy Raye's plays too simple?" is what I'm asking.

SOLUTION:?
If that's the case, then we're screwed as long as Jimmy Raye is the OC. It's possibly that the players get better next season with a year of continuity.

Is it the O-line/O-line's coaching?
Assuming everything else is okay, is it simply that the O-line is underperforming and/or sucks? Or is it that the O-line coach and/or Jimmy Raye not teaching them properly? Granted, we've experienced injuries the last couple weeks, but this unit has sucked all season long.

SOLUTION?:
If it's simply the skill level of the o-line, I don't expect much improvement the rest of the season. If this is the case, the o-line will have to be re-tooled and/or hope that certain young players like Chilo Rachal improve by next season. And unless we get the second-coming of Bobb McKitttrick, this unit needs major work.

Is it the Pass/Run Ratio?
I imagine this is what most people THINK, especially when we announced during the offseason that we'd run 60% of the time. In this sense, teams are geared to stop the run. I believe that good running teams can still run when there are 8+ men in the box, but still.. we haven't shown we're a good running team. But when we fail to run, we fall behind in games, have 3 and outs, tire out the defense, and force the offense to do what it is not built to do by coming back. The opposite is if we try to pass the majority of the time and turn the ball over a lot, which is what happened against the Titans.

SOLUTION?:
If this is the case, then this COULD be solved during this season, but it will take some time. We could find the right balance of pass/run ratio next week... or we might not find it until Week 17, or maybe not even find it at all. It takes some time for an offense to overcome philosophical problems such as pass/run ratio.

Is it simply that we're not playing to the strengths of our offense?
Is it possible we're not a running team? Alex Smith's performances in the second halves of the Titans and Packers games make you wonder if we're a vertical passing type of team... This really makes you wonder because Alex Smith's performance against the Titans was against a defense that didn't gameplan against him, while both the Packers and Titans had substantial leads. Singletary suggested that it's possible that Alex was playing a soft defense.

When you look at the offense you see talented young guys in Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree, Josh Morgan, Jason Hill, etc. Under Mike Martz last year, the team was a pretty explosive offense, with the drawbacks of turnovers and sacks. So it's clear that the offense can produce under the right circumstances.

SOLUTION?:
As with pass/run ratio, this situation may take some time to sort itself out. We built this offense with a running philosophy in mind, using Shaun Hill as the QB. Shaun Hill and Alex Smith are different quarterbacks. Figuring out what works well for the team takes some time. We could figure it out next week, in Week 17, or not at all this season. Who knows what happens in the offseason if we don't figure it out next season. We might give up entirely on Alex Smith and Shaun Hill, electing to draft a new QB... If this happens, we'll have to start over on the offensive process.

Thoughts? I have no idea what is wrong with the running game and the offense as a hole. What do you guys think?

You answered it with the last statement what is wrong is that there are no holes.
Its the insistance of running the ball for the sake of running it.

I will run my play because I want to regardless of the defensive formation.

They should be looking at the defense weakness and running a play that would exploit that.

This is why defenses almost know each and every time when we are going to run.

Its ok to run but if you see a 10 man front, can we give QB a chance to audible out of that play.
Rhetorically speaking...what should come first ?...(chicken or the egg?) ... when rebuilding a team what should we focus on.... QB talent or OL/DL trench talent ?
power rush/playaction or spread offensive scheme ? If there's a silver lining to this 2009 season, it will be to define what O-scheme, what type of OL talent to draft/FA to fit that scheme and finding/developing that elusive pass rusher for 2010 ! One can only hope that this current regime will be able to figure it out.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
The running game always goes to the middle. Do we not have mis directions, sweeps or counter plays on our play book.

JIMMY RAYE SUCKS. We have to get behind for him to open things up
Originally posted by 4089er:
Rhetorically speaking...what should come first ?...(chicken or the egg?) ... when rebuilding a team what should we focus on.... QB talent or OL/DL trench talent ?
power rush/playaction or spread offensive scheme ? If there's a silver lining to this 2009 season, it will be to define what O-scheme, what type of OL talent to draft/FA to fit that scheme and finding/developing that elusive pass rusher for 2010 ! One can only hope that this current regime will be able to figure it out.

The thing is, McCloughan has invested heavily on the offensive line, but they've busted this year. He drafted Baas, Staley, Snyder, and Rachal. He has tried every year to bring in quality free agents (Allen, Jennings, Smith), though Allen and Smith retired, while Jennings was injury-prone and underperformed.

I'm losing faith in his ability to build an offensive line. To be fair, I don't know if it's the players or the coaching staff is not putting them in a position to succeed.
With a poor O-Line, you must resort to creativity and well-designed plays and/or scheming to help your rushing attack.

Raye is incapable of providing either of those things. Therefore, we will suffer. And as the run game suffers, the passing game will suffer because he is unable to help our pass protection either.

Doubly therefore, our entire offense suffers.

Triply therefore, our defense suffers because we cannot sustain drives and take up any time of possession.

Quadruply therefore, our entire team suffers, we continue to suck, and will either barely win any game we do manage to win, or we will remain on a despicably unacceptable losing streak for a team that has the talent to be better, yet lacks the coaching to fully utilize all the talent this team possesses.

Period.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Originally posted by 4089er:

The thing is, McCloughan has invested heavily on the offensive line, but they've busted this year. He drafted Baas, Staley, Snyder, and Rachal. He has tried every year to bring in quality free agents (Allen, Jennings, Smith), though Allen and Smith retired, while Jennings was injury-prone and underperformed.

I'm losing faith in his ability to build an offensive line. To be fair, I don't know if it's the players or the coaching staff is not putting them in a position to succeed.

I agree, McCloughan's failure thus far in acquiring the "right type" of OL talent is directly tied to the changing OCs/offensive schemes and the hiring of Coach Warhop as the OL coach when Nolan started.

However, there were two misopportunies that McC blew...not resigning Smiley (athletic pulling G) and not trading back into the first rd when Oher (RT) was passed over by Detroit @#20 (don't think there is a better OT prospect in 2010 better that Oher @ 21-22). Just think of what it would mean to our offense by having these two OL on this current team.
O LINE.
Share 49ersWebzone